SportsLogos.Net News

2019 MLB Changes

3 hours ago, zigbazah said:

I never understood why the Dbacks used a pitcher's path. They're 90s expansion team, that plays in a roofed venue with a pool in the outfield, and is from a state that's younger than some MLB clubs. They're one of the last teams who can pull of that aesthetic. 

They always had a problem growing turf in that stadium. Aside from the retro look, it was probably done for maintenance purposes.

3 hours ago, zigbazah said:

I never understood why the Dbacks used a pitcher's path. They're 90s expansion team, that plays in a roofed venue with a pool in the outfield, and is from a state that's younger than some MLB clubs. They're one of the last teams who can pull of that aesthetic. 

Even with the roof, it’s still really hard to grow grass properly at Chase Field. Anything they can do to reduce wear and tear they’re going to do. 

On 2/27/2019 at 2:21 PM, Gothamite said:

Looks like the Brewers have tweaked their alternate navy cap:

Here's the old cap from last year, almost out of stock (only 18 total left) on MLB's online shop:

ff_2659190alt1_full.jpg&w=900

And here's the new one, put up without announcement:

ff_3373836-7ff2ac2e355c74a5640falt1_full

I think the different shade of navy is probably just a trick of the photo, but you can see that the New Era flag is now gold, and - best of all - white webbing!  That's bothered me since the cap was introduced back in 2016.

Now if we can just get Majestic or Nike or whoever to fix the sleeve patch:

636575138507890321-MJS-BREWERS-SPRING-TR

The Brewers still have terrible uniforms, but we can fix them one small step at a time.

I still don't understand why the white webbing is "correct." Shouldn't it be transparent? Or yellow to blend into the background? I get it's a glove, but baseball gloves don't have white webbing. Please help me understand this.

Gloves don’t have blue fingers either, but yet....

White webbing is correct because that’s the way the logo was designed.  Somebody at MLB Propertirs screwed up the Illustrator file in the early 1990 when they went digital, making it transparent. 

Full story here: https://uni-watch.com/2018/10/13/brewers-inconsistent-ball-in-glove-logo/

13 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Haha that's dope I think

You’re whats wrong with America. 

6 hours ago, Marlins93 said:

Battery sales in Philadelphia will set records too if Harper underperforms.

I don’t get comments like this. When a guy is underperforming his contract, what else are you supposed to do? How do you let him know he needs to either step it up or retire?  I’m going to Australia in a few days and plan on bringing back a boomerang and paint his name, number, and “U Suck just die” on it. If it works, I’ll be able to reuse over and over it for the other turds on the team. 

also - he’s “only”  the 16th highest paid player... so he has wiggle room. 

2 hours ago, Quillz said:

I still don't understand why the white webbing is "correct." Shouldn't it be transparent? Or yellow to blend into the background? I get it's a glove, but baseball gloves don't have white webbing. Please help me understand this.

It's not about the color of the webbing, it's just to show that there IS webbing there, that the glove doesn't have a hole in between the thumb and first fingers. So the point is to make the webbing a different color than the background because making it the same color as the background implies that there is an empty space there. Transparent is completely the opposite of what that part of the logo was intended to look like. "Something" has to be there.

Random thought... why didn't the Braves use those carbon fiber helmets anymore? 

9 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

That was a one-off for Opening Day at SunTrust Park in 2017. Pretty sure the team auctioned off the helmets. 

9 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

It's not about the color of the webbing, it's just to show that there IS webbing there, that the glove doesn't have a hole in between the thumb and first fingers. So the point is to make the webbing a different color than the background because making it the same color as the background implies that there is an empty space there. Transparent is completely the opposite of what that part of the logo was intended to look like. "Something" has to be there.

Then why was it "wrong" earlier when the webbing was blue like the rest of the glove?

1 hour ago, Quillz said:

Then why was it "wrong" earlier when the webbing was blue like the rest of the glove?

Because the designer specified white. The only blue was supposed to be the letters. The webbing was only transparent because somebody else later screwed up the Illustrator file. 

You can say the blue looks better, but “wrong” is an objective statement of fact.

7 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

They claimed that they were going to experiment with a few different helmet finishes that season, but the carbon was the only variation they used in game

13 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Because the designer specified white. The only blue was supposed to be the letters. The webbing was only transparent because somebody else later screwed up the Illustrator file. 

You can say the blue looks better, but “wrong” is an objective statement of fact.

I think it does, a lot. The white has always stuck out to me. Blue has it blend better with the rest of the elements.

9 minutes ago, Quillz said:

I think it does, a lot. The white has always stuck out to me. Blue has it blend better with the rest of the elements.

I will gladly disagree with you on the aesthetics.  I could see a case for gold, I suppose, but blue muddies the letters and ruins the balance of the design.

Regardless, it’s still an error. 😛 

Talk about logo misconceptions, I only saw a ball and glove — not a lowercase m or b — until the Brewers brought it back as a throwback jersey a few years ago. Another aha moment. Just never paid close attention the few times I’d play against the Brewers in video games, though I always chose their throwback options because I liked the logo despite that. 

On 3/4/2019 at 11:00 AM, the admiral said:

Never do anything a la the Washington Wizards, that was terrible. They've made it this long being the Indians, the name is here to stay, work around not having Chief Wahoo.

🤯

I don't know what that smiley means.

It's much more obvious at full size.  You can right-click these to open at full size in a new tab.

1f92f.png