SportsLogos.Net News

2019 MLB Changes

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, MNtwins3 said:

New York Mets have yet to wear either of their alternates this season

Since 2016, it’s been used sparingly probably because they’ve mostly lost every time they wear blue. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Mets have some of the best uniforms in baseball.  The Yankees get more credit for theirs, but I would argue their neighbors from Queens are actually better-dressed, when they keep the ugly alternates in the closet. 

 

Their home and road are just a few tweaks away from being the very Platonic ideal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Gothamite said:

The Mets have some of the best uniforms in baseball.  The Yankees get more credit for theirs, but I would argue their neighbors from Queens are actually better-dressed, when they keep the ugly alternates in the closet. 

 

Their home and road are just a few tweaks away from being the very Platonic ideal.

I'd argue that the home and road are perfect as is. No more changes needed. I do like the blue "Mets" jersey. Paired with the regular cap (no alternate needed), it's a great look. Used as an occasional alt, home or away, maybe day games, it'd be a great compliment to the home and roads.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, McCall said:

I'd argue that the home and road are perfect as is. No more changes needed. I do like the blue "Mets" jersey. Paired with the regular cap (no alternate needed), it's a great look. Used as an occasional alt, home or away, maybe day games, it'd be a great compliment to the home and roads.

 

The only changes I’d make are to the cap (original logo, not the too-skinny 90s version) and replace the unbalanced wordmark with the original.

 

 

And finally, maybe change the pinstripe home from set-in to raglan sleeves.  Think pinstripes look better that way.  

 

spacer.png

spacer.png

 

As I said, minor tweaks.  Otherwise they’re perfect. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

The Mets need only one alternate:

 

fa0add7456565b4edc2aa6420937b50d-origina


I'd just as soon make these the permanent homes.  Let them trot out throwbacks from 1969 and 1986 when they want to wear pinstripes.  But I always felt the pinstripes were a distraction from everything that's good about the Mets identity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can get behind that.  Blue from the Dodgers, orange from the Giants.  They don’t need a tribute to the Yankees. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

I can get behind that.  Blue from the Dodgers, orange from the Giants.  They don’t need a tribute to the Yankees. 

 

But what’s wrong with tributing the 1969 and 1986 Mets? They’ve got the same right to pinstripes as a primary uniform.

 

Still, if the snow whites were the main home look, I wouldn’t mind. It’s a sharp-looking uniform, but it doesn’t have the historical clout of the royal blue pinstripes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Am I the only one who can't stand the snow whites?

The Mets established themselves as a pinstripe team from the beginning and the snow whites were only around from 1997 to 2014. Also I can't see them without remembering that stupid black drop shadow...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

I can get behind that.  Blue from the Dodgers, orange from the Giants.  They don’t need a tribute to the Yankees. 

 

 

Good point. Dodgers and Giants were never associated with pinstripes. Mets' pinstripes always came across as the poor man's Yankees uniforms, even after those WS wins. 1986 Mets had them, but they also had racing stripes so who cares. They are perfectly fine for occasional throwbacks.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Around the Horn said:

Am I the only one who can't stand the snow whites?

 

No, you are not.

 

To be clear: the Mets' use of pinstripes is not a tribute to the Yankees. The team's colours came from the Giants and Dodgers; but the pinstripes are just one of the array of standard baseball styles, a feature that plenty of teams have used. It is organic to the Mets.

 

The Mets have worn pinstripes for 58 seasons; to illustrate how long that is, consider that it is the same amount of time that the Yankees had been wearing pinstripes as of 1972. This design element is absolutely essential to the Mets' look. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A lot of the times when a team uses pinstripes I tend to overlook the element, but when I think “Yankees” I instantly think pinstripes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

To be clear: the Mets' use of pinstripes is not a tribute to the Yankees. The team's colours came from the Giants and Dodgers; but the pinstripes are just one of the array of standard baseball styles, a feature that plenty of teams have used. 

 

And in this case, it was a standard baseball style specifically chosen to reference the Yankees and bestow a little of their legitimacy upon the new franchise in town.

 

No different than early football teams borrowing the name of the local baseball club in hopes some of their credibility would rub off.  It doesn’t matter that the Bears and Giants have now used those names for a century, no amount of tenure changes the origin.

 

There’s absolutely an argument that the Mets have been using pinstripes long enough that they should keep going, but that doesn’t alter the past, nor does it make them the Pinstripers.  We’d laugh them off the internet if they tried to adopt a hashtag like “#PinstripePride”. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only two teams that "need" pinstripes are the Yankees and White Sox imo. 

Edit: I guess you could also add the Rockies, given as they're dressed currently, but that club needs a uniform and logo refresh. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

 

No, you are not.

 

To be clear: the Mets' use of pinstripes is not a tribute to the Yankees. The team's colours came from the Giants and Dodgers; but the pinstripes are just one of the array of standard baseball styles, a feature that plenty of teams have used. It is organic to the Mets.

 

The Mets have worn pinstripes for 58 seasons; to illustrate how long that is, consider that it is the same amount of time that the Yankees had been wearing pinstripes as of 1972. This design element is absolutely essential to the Mets' look. 

 

 

12 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

 

But what’s wrong with tributing the 1969 and 1986 Mets? They’ve got the same right to pinstripes as a primary uniform.

 

Still, if the snow whites were the main home look, I wouldn’t mind. It’s a sharp-looking uniform, but it doesn’t have the historical clout of the royal blue pinstripes.

 

12 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

Am I the only one who can't stand the snow whites?

The Mets established themselves as a pinstripe team from the beginning and the snow whites were only around from 1997 to 2014. Also I can't see them without remembering that stupid black drop shadow...

 

Even if you put aside any argument having to do with the Yankees, I still feel like the snow whites do a better job of showing off the strengths of the Mets brand. Mostly, their unique (at least for baseball) colors and what is a perfect balance of those colors when the pinstripes aren't there. I feel like the pinstripes push them to where there is not enough orange.

 

Still. There's no denying that while plenty of teams wear pinstripes, if you ask anyone to free associate the words "New York," "baseball," and "pinstripes," no one who's not a fan is gonna answer "The Mets."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.