SportsLogos.Net News

2019 MLB Changes

Does the MLB really need an expansion? I don’t think so.

6 hours ago, NicDB said:

I like Montreal for purely nostalgic reasons.  And the fact that they have a MLB-capable venue has to make them the front-runner as of this moment. 

But all the reasons they left in the first place still exist.  Especially if you take for granted that the market was indeed sabotaged.  

Don't forget who the owner was at the time.  That piece of crap is the reason they left Montreal.

1 hour ago, mjd77 said:

Don't forget who the owner was at the time.  That piece of crap is the reason they left Montreal.

I can think of bigger pieces of crap. 

slide_2.jpg

If this is getting political, it’s only because it’s relevant to the Expos’ situation. People who solely blame Loria/Selig or the 1994 strike are woefully ignorant of the political, economic, and demographic factors that turned the Expos into DC’s National League club.

3 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

I can think of bigger pieces of crap. 

slide_2.jpg

If this is getting political, it’s only because it’s relevant to the Expos’ situation. People who solely blame Loria/Selig or the 1994 strike are woefully ignorant of the political, economic, and demographic factors that turned the Expos into DC’s National League club.

This is totally misplaced.  The Expos could have survived in Quebec ruled by the PQ — or even, if all had gone well, in an independent Quebec — if they had had competent ownership.

1 hour ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

This is totally misplaced.  The Expos could have survived in Quebec ruled by the PQ — or even, if all had gone well, in an independent Quebec — if they had had competent ownership.

I don't think it's totally misplaced.  The spectre of Quebec separatism did cause much of Montreal's corporate infrastructure to move west. (Hence, BMO, the Bank of Montreal, is now headquartered in Toronto.) 

Award for the most pointless cap in the league?

spacer.png

I’m watching them wear this and I often forget the white outline is there. The difference so minuscule, they might as well be wearing the classic blue cap. The 2 tone cap was much better.

This one here has no reason to exist. 

1 hour ago, NicDB said:

I don't think it's totally misplaced.  The spectre of Quebec separatism did cause much of Montreal's corporate infrastructure to move west. (Hence, BMO, the Bank of Montreal, is now headquartered in Toronto.) 

Agreed. It’s important to understand how much the demographic shift produced by Bill 101 turned away the baseball fandom of the area, as well as the corporate support networks needed to fund a competitive team. Said separatist leanings increased the pain the province faced during the Canadian recession of the 1990s, especially after the referendum failed.

Without the PQ, maybe the Expos would have had a better corporate support network to keep the team afloat through the recession (like the Blue Jays, who arguably benefitted from a post-Bill 101 Canada and claimed Southern Ontario as their territory - hurting the Expos’ revenue). Without the separatist referendum, maybe they get a stadium built with public money (it never should have come to that, but I’m just being realistic). With a stadium or better ownership, Loria never would have been sent in to “salt the earth” and the team wouldn’t have fallen as far. 

Those who try to claim that the PQ weren’t at fault to some extent are misguided. Heck, Jonah Keri made a point to mention these “demographic issues” in Up, Up, and Away. 

2 hours ago, insert name said:

spacer.png

I’m watching them wear this and I often forget the white outline is there. The difference so minuscule, they might as well be wearing the classic blue cap. The 2 tone cap was much better.

Just so they can match the jersey...

Do they still wear the one with the silver logo? I like this one and it's different enough to be unique. 

unnamed-1212.jpg

5 hours ago, NicDB said:

My understanding was that there was in fact a new stadium deal in place with a split of private and public money.  Loria complained the amount of public money wasn't enough, Montreal said take it or leave it, and that was the end.  Here is a little blurb from an article I found...

In his first speech as owner of the Expos, Loria demanded a new stadium for his team. He bluntly said of Olympic Stadium, "We cannot and will not stay there."

The city made it very clear at the time that they would not build a new facility when millions were still owed on the existing stadium. Later, though, the city began to warm to the idea of a new stadium and LaBatt Park was designed and was ready to be built using a combination of public and private financing. The facility was to be ready for the 2002 season. However, Loria balked and demanded that the city pay a higher percentage of the building costs.

The city, weary of dealing with Loria, cancelled the project.

4 hours ago, insert name said:

spacer.png

Just like the Pirates alternate cap.

1 hour ago, mjd77 said:

My understanding was that there was in fact a new stadium deal in place with a split of private and public money.  Loria complained the amount of public money wasn't enough, Montreal said take it or leave it, and that was the end.  Here is a little blurb from an article I found...

In his first speech as owner of the Expos, Loria demanded a new stadium for his team. He bluntly said of Olympic Stadium, "We cannot and will not stay there."

The city made it very clear at the time that they would not build a new facility when millions were still owed on the existing stadium. Later, though, the city began to warm to the idea of a new stadium and LaBatt Park was designed and was ready to be built using a combination of public and private financing. The facility was to be ready for the 2002 season. However, Loria balked and demanded that the city pay a higher percentage of the building costs.

The city, weary of dealing with Loria, cancelled the project.

He did the same exact thing with Miami except that the city/county actually caved. I'd argue that the Marlins were facing a more dire situation due to the lack of a roof and unfavorable lease terms at Joe Robbie limiting their revenue. Of course Loria's main motivation in both Montreal and Miami was to build a new park to drastically increase the value of the franchise for the inevitable sale.

I think the Mets cap with the white outline is to match the blue alternate jerseys, which have an orange script outlined in white. The same goes for the Pirates and their outlined cap logo.

Related image

Image result for pittsburgh pirates 2016

I would argue that the white helps the orange pop out on the Mets jersey. That being said, I don't think it is needed for Pittsburgh... but it's there.

I really loathe these trends towards compulsory "consistency." Some uniforms have been helped with a bit of clean up, but baseball did just fine without such expectations for decades and it gave us such quirks like the Dodgers red numbers or the Tigers orange road trim.  Now it just seems to lead to changes that add absolutely nothing to the overall identity. 

15 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

You're high as balls; Montreal would have crumbled to the ground in an "independent," emphasis on the scare quotes, Quebec. Turns out governments that intentionally destabilize themselves out of petty grievances and then opt out of having their own monetary policies are not growth markets. Not only would the Expos not have survived, it may have even put a bullet in the Canadiens, or, at absolute best, left them in an even more enfeebled state than they're already in now. 

The loss of the expos, while sad was the loss of one of the worst looking teams. From a design aspect I’d take what Washington has done recently over anything Montreal did.

Just now, BellaSpurs said:

The loss of the expos, while sad was the loss of one of the worst looking teams. From a design aspect I’d take what Washington has done recently over anything Montreal did.

I think this is going to be a very unpopular opinion. 

Just now, Brandon9485 said:

I think this is going to be a very unpopular opinion. 

I know, and partially due to the fact everyone has grown up with the expos compared to me being the minority and the most of my life they’ve been the nats.

2 minutes ago, BellaSpurs said:

I know, and partially due to the fact everyone has grown up with the expos compared to me being the minority and the most of my life they’ve been the nats.

But what is bad about the Expos outside your lack of memory of them? Both the home and road uniform they ended with in 2004 are classics in my opinion. 

I like what the Nats have to work with, but I wish they’d drop all of their patriotic uniforms and hats (it’s overkill), standardize their hats and jerseys to home or away. Wearing the blue cap at home makes me think they don’t know what they’re doing. I like the road uniform, now drop the navy alt, add the Nationals script to a white home, and keep the red alt as it plays at home and on the road. 

I much prefer the Expos logos and uniforms to what the Nats wear.

Loved the pinstripes of the later years and think the cap monogram is miles better than the Brewers BiG.