MLB 2 Portland Concepts

DrJack

Ooooops, don’t know why the text didn’t come through.

Went to a Portland Diamond Project event today where six local designers presented concepts for a potential Portland MLB Franchise.  Logos, hats, and uniforms.  Great, creative concepts by everyone.

Team Names

- Portland Swifts

- Portland Buds

- Portland Pines

- Portland Steelheads

- Portland River Rats

- Portland Californians, lol

Pictures below:

TxgRhda.jpgOoCT3Ef.jpgNYEDwyJ.jpgbQwtPlg.jpgoqp1627.jpgcDUzDU6.jpg

Edited by DrJack

I really dig a couple of these for Minor League, and could definitely see a major rebrander like Brandiose design something like these too.  For Major League Baseball though, they dont have that traditional look at all.  The River Rats and Steelheads could easily be a MiLB branding, while the rest I think would be something alonf the lines of college (Pines) or Sunday League/Softball (Buds)

4 hours ago, coco1997 said:

I think the Steelheads and Pines ones have potential, but the rest are goofy. Did you snap a pic of the Californians concept?

Either way, thanks for sharing these.

Yeah, forgot to upload it.  Here ya go.  Definitely the most creative, from a tongue-in-cheek perspective.

These were all done for a fun / excitement building promo event.  As far as I know, none of them are actually in consideration for the new team.

That said, it was sponsored by the group trying to land a franchise in Portland so I don’t think it’s a given that any relocated team would keep their previous name. They’re clearly thinking about new branding.

I liked the Pines name and uniforms a lot. The logo was almost too minimalist for me (and I’m a huge fan of the 70’s Blazers look).

The Steelheads logo was superb, but the wordmarks and uniforms were pretty underwhelming.

The Buds has a great concept, but  I couldn’t get behind the colors, and I’m not sure I could root for a team called the “Buds”.

bmfI97h.jpgYYDP56k.jpg

In case it's not immediately apparent, Swifts isn't just an allusion to speed. Swifts are a small migratory bird that for five weeks every September roost inside the chimney of a 1920s Portland elementary school as part of their pilgrimage south. Each evening at sunset they gather above the school and funnel themselves into the chimney, a natural visual spectacle here in Portland that regularly draws big crowds.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaux's_swift

22 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

I'd like to see a concept for a team called the Portland Cascades. 

This remains my preferred choice for a Portland MLB team. Just be prepared for the avalanche (pun intended) or critics pointing out that MLB already has a team named for a mountain range. 

8 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

This remains my preferred choice for a Portland MLB team. Just be prepared for the avalanche (pun intended) or critics pointing out that MLB already has a team named for a mountain range. 

Same here. I'd also enjoy "Stags," since we have so few deer-based team names in sports.

Portland_Oregon_-_White_Stag_sign_at_dus

Pines (but not that 1970s-style logo) would be OK, as would Beavers and Mavericks. I'm sure there's going to be a big pro-Beavers contingent among the fans (history), along with Mavericks (the famed independent team).