Raptors New City Uniform Leaks on Media Day

SportsLogos.Net News

Raptors New City Uniform Leaks on Media Day

September 24, 2018 - 16:46 PM

The Toronto Raptors held their annual media day this morning and, as you’d expect, all eyeballs were on their prized off-season acquisition Kawhi Leonard. Fortunately for us, at least one of those eyeballs belong to Instagram user InsideGreenRoom who caught […]

Read More...

The Raptors should have one of two color schemes: Maple Leafs colors or Drake colors. Since they're half-committed to Drake and not committed to the Leafs, I say finish the job. Additionally, you could argue that a velociraptor is sort of brownish-gold:

latest?cb=20150420213742

No need for red and black. Those are Bulls colors and sort of also the Blazers I guess.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

i hate them. and the black ones. and the main set. and the Raptors. and every Toronto sports team.

Tell us how you REALLY feel.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

The Raptors should have one of two color schemes: Maple Leafs colors or Drake colors. Since they're half-committed to Drake and not committed to the Leafs, I say finish the job. Additionally, you could argue that a velociraptor is sort of brownish-gold:

latest?cb=20150420213742

No need for red and black. Those are Bulls colors and sort of also the Blazers I guess.

I still think a rename is in order. An easy fix would be going with the Huskies while wearing blue and white.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

I don't like renaming teams that haven't moved. (I don't like changing colors either, but at this point, may as well.) Raptors was dopey but they made their choice and they have to live with it. Best they can do is own a black/gold/silver scheme and being the dinosaur team.

53 minutes ago, the admiral said:

I don't like renaming teams that haven't moved. (I don't like changing colors either, but at this point, may as well.) Raptors was dopey but they made their choice and they have to live with it. Best they can do is own a black/gold/silver scheme and being the dinosaur team.

Ironically, this was pretty much the same argument the mods were using to keep you banned. "Yeah, it's kinda dumb, but rules are the rules." If the ownership thinks they'd be better as the Huskies for the next 100+ years, I have no problem with setting aside the 25 years of Raptors.

20 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

Ironically, this was pretty much the same argument the mods were using to keep you banned. "Yeah, it's kinda dumb, but rules are the rules." If the ownership thinks they'd be better as the Huskies for the next 100+ years, I have no problem with setting aside the 25 years of Raptors.

But ownership has given no indication of that, have they? 

3 hours ago, the admiral said:

The Raptors should have one of two color schemes: Maple Leafs colors or Drake colors. Since they're half-committed to Drake and not committed to the Leafs, I say finish the job.

I agree that between the Bulls, Blazers, Heat, and Rockets red/black is already well-covered, but you forgot the third option. While the name & original uniforms are corny, the purple, red, black, silver colour scheme was completely original.

Something like this would be ideal to me:

cGwvqvF.png

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

But ownership has given no indication of that, have they? 

What does that have to do with whether it would be a good idea or not? I was just saying that they shouldn't be bound by some random internet dude's rule about changing team names without moving.

The team would be the Huskies by now if they wanted to be the Huskies. The last rebrand would have been the time to do it, but they felt that sticking with Raptors was the way to go. I don't really blame them. It would feel weird. "Hey, it's the same, team, same players, same arena, same ownership. We just have a new name."

And while the Raptors name isn't associated with anything really worth keeping? It does have more to it than anything associated with the Huskies' brief existence.

I mean Raptors was a dated name. It, along with the rest of the inaugural identity, reeks of the mid 1990s. The team has moved on from the visual look while maintaining the team name, however. So I see no reason the team can't have a classy blue and white look and still be the Raptors.

And yeah. Blue and white. They're MLSE's basketball team, play in the same arena as the Leafs, and most people go to their games because they're the cheap alternative to the Maple Leafs.

Get the Raptors in blue and white and solidify Toronto's sports identities. Let TFC be the outlier.

32 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Straight recolor of the dribbling dino doesn't work. Try recoloring the current primary or making a new logo with the city skyline and a leaf or something.

Here are some quick and dirty recolours of the old claw logo that I think could be the basis of something...

WtM0oXh.png

GFSb5wi.png

A blue/white recolor calls for the "Toronto" font, Penumbra Serif (Semibold or Bold).

173513.png

The Blue Jays use a version with an inline, while the Leafs should use it on the 1967-70 logo (easily their best). The Raptors in blue/white with this font would be an excellent look, and it'd be easy to shirk Raptors for Huskies (when/if the time comes).

Removing purple from their color scheme was their first mistake. Everything since then has felt incomplete or like a generic version of the Bulls and/or Blazers. 

If they really feel the need to use black and gold, then they need to go full Drake and lose the red and silver altogether. Otherwise, embrace your original colors. 

That said, I do like the nickname Huskies because I have two Siberian Huskies. But there’s no way their logo could be better than UConn’s and I feel like the Timberwolves already have the market cornered on the blue northern dog/wolf motif. 

On an entirely separately related note...that image illustrates a potentially awesome colorway for a rebranded Raptors identity. Black, gold and (bright) purple. They should do that.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Archived