Trivia Question

Mac the Knife

3 minutes ago, Kaz said:

Intentionally walk every batter faced with the new rule, and pick them off on the bases.

Technically correct, but I also would've accepted 9 - intentionally walking the first two batters in each inning, then getting the third batter to hit into a triple play.  In 9 consecutive innings.

nav-logo.png

9 hours ago, Mac the Knife said:

Technically correct, but I also would've accepted 9 - intentionally walking the first two batters in each inning, then getting the third batter to hit into a triple play.  In 9 consecutive innings.

But zero is less than nine?

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, Brian in Boston said:
48 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

What World Series-winning manager lost the first 11 post-season games of his career?

I'm going to go with Dick Howser.

You've done it!

1980 ALCS Yankees - lost 0-3 to Royals

1981 ALDS Royals - lost 0-3 to A's

1984 ALCS Royals - lost 0-3 to Tigers

1985 ALCS Royals - lost games 1 and 2 to Blue Jays before winning series and ultimately the World Series

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

26 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

You've done it!

Not nearly as impressive as it may seem. Given that it was you asking the question, I suspected that it might be the manager of a New York-based team. I figured that I'd start with the Yankees and try and work my way backward through time. Howser jumped out at me, as I remembered the fact that his 1980 team won over 100 games, only to get swept by the Royals in the ALCS. I then remembered him moving to the Royals the following year and went from there.

Great question.  

26 minutes ago, willmorris said:

Here's one. Theoretically, to pitch a regulation Major League Baseball game, what is the minimum number of batters that you have to face?

27 is the minimum for a complete game, but to get a decision, a pitcher has to go at least five innings. So 15?

Archived