_RH_

Football: bring back metallic pants

Recommended Posts

The biggest issue is really just the Buccaneers, isn't it?  Everyone else, I could probably learn to live with, but Tampa's pants going from shiny to matte made the color go from cool to vomit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The OP asked why nobody's corrected this error. Well, the problem is that it's not an error. It's currently the fashionable choice. 25 years ago the metallic pants were the fashionable choice. I prefer the dazzle fabric because it's matches with the helmets better. That doesn't mean people who prefer matte materials are wrong, I don't get why you prefer the helmets and pants don't match when they're clearly supposed to be the same color, but that's up to you to reckon with. 

 

It's funny, I remember getting excited when I got to 8th grade because the 8th grade team's uniforms had the shiny dazzle fabric shoulders and metallic black pants. When we were in 7th grade we had to wear old matte jerseys and pants. Today the kids would probably think the exact opposite. 

 

Fashion is cyclical and this is one of those things. I think we've reach Peak Matte helmet and are starting to move back to more traditional gloss helmets being the preferred helmet finish. It's a matter of time before shiny pants and jerseys come back as well. That will probably happen once Nike decides it's time to bring it back. 

 

And if you want to talk about performance I refuse to believe uniform manufacturers couldn't make a metallic dazzle fabric that stretches and breathes if they really wanted to. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

The biggest issue is really just the Buccaneers, isn't it?  Everyone else, I could probably learn to live with, but Tampa's pants going from shiny to matte made the color go from cool to vomit.

 

You hit the nail on the head. The Buccs pants now look like they're brown, and the pewter added to the shoulders on the jersey don't help either. They can keep the current helmet and just bring back the 97-13 unis and all would be well.

 

Shiny pants need to come back. The Saints, Buccs, 49ers all look like garbage now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, McCarthy said:

The OP asked why nobody's corrected this error. Well, the problem is that it's not an error. It's currently the fashionable choice. 25 years ago the metallic pants were the fashionable choice. I prefer the dazzle fabric because it's matches with the helmets better. That doesn't mean people who prefer matte materials are wrong, I don't get why you prefer the helmets and pants don't match when they're clearly supposed to be the same color, but that's up to you to reckon with. 

 

It's funny, I remember getting excited when I got to 8th grade because the 8th grade team's uniforms had the shiny dazzle fabric shoulders and metallic black pants. When we were in 7th grade we had to wear old matte jerseys and pants. Today the kids would probably think the exact opposite. 

 

Fashion is cyclical and this is one of those things. I think we've reach Peak Matte helmet and are starting to move back to more traditional gloss helmets being the preferred helmet finish. It's a matter of time before shiny pants and jerseys come back as well. That will probably happen once Nike decides it's time to bring it back. 

 

And if you want to talk about performance I refuse to believe uniform manufacturers couldn't make a metallic dazzle fabric that stretches and breathes if they really wanted to. 


Do you really believe adidas would refuse to try to create "chrome, icy" pants if given the option?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Htown1141 said:

Guys, I think DeFrank is Jon Gruden.

 

I, too, am recently back in action after a hiatus. Unlike Gruden, however, I haven't lost a step!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bluefalcon said:

 

You hit the nail on the head. The Buccs pants now look like they're brown, and the pewter added to the shoulders on the jersey don't help either. They can keep the current helmet and just bring back the 97-13 unis and all would be well.

 

Shiny pants need to come back. The Saints, Buccs, 49ers all look like garbage now.

 

Yep, the golds and pewters are the ones that bother me the most. I’d prefer silver to be metallic as well, but the matte grey seems to match their equivalent silver helmets okay, at least compared to tan and whatever the matte equivalent of pewter is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Bluefalcon said:

 

You hit the nail on the head. The Buccs pants now look like they're brown, and the pewter added to the shoulders on the jersey don't help either. They can keep the current helmet and just bring back the 97-13 unis and all would be well.

 

This is nuts to me because I feel the opposite. The old pewter was an ugly brownish looking thing whereas the current look is more like a dark metal. Like, I see the argument for the old look for sure, but the old pewter looking brownish was one of the reasons I never really liked their previous look. Lighting is a big factor though.

 

Donald+Penn+Houston+Texans+v+Tampa+Bay+B

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, McCarthy said:

The OP asked why nobody's corrected this error. Well, the problem is that it's not an error. It's currently the fashionable choice. 25 years ago the metallic pants were the fashionable choice. I prefer the dazzle fabric because it's matches with the helmets better. That doesn't mean people who prefer matte materials are wrong, I don't get why you prefer the helmets and pants don't match when they're clearly supposed to be the same color, but that's up to you to reckon with. 

 

It's funny, I remember getting excited when I got to 8th grade because the 8th grade team's uniforms had the shiny dazzle fabric shoulders and metallic black pants. When we were in 7th grade we had to wear old matte jerseys and pants. Today the kids would probably think the exact opposite. 

 

Fashion is cyclical and this is one of those things. I think we've reach Peak Matte helmet and are starting to move back to more traditional gloss helmets being the preferred helmet finish. It's a matter of time before shiny pants and jerseys come back as well. That will probably happen once Nike decides it's time to bring it back. 

 

And if you want to talk about performance I refuse to believe uniform manufacturers couldn't make a metallic dazzle fabric that stretches and breathes if they really wanted to. 

 

its more than a fashion choice— the materials arn't as good as (yet?) as the matte fabrics. and in the grand history of football, it was the shiny materials that were the fad and flat colors are a return to center

 

here's where i stand on the helmet/pants thing though; i think a metallic helmet paired with matte jersey/pants makes sense. i guess i would start with the fabric, i just dont think shiny materials are good look. it reminds me of tacky fashion trends or cheap track suits or something; Night At The Roxbury even. fabrics IMO that look like soft fabrics are more pleasing to the eye and make sense as something a normal person would wear. the helmet though we understand can be painted in many different ways, so when you see a silver painted shell, it's not odd. its just seems like a logical application.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, -Akronite- said:

 

This is nuts to me because I feel the opposite. The old pewter was an ugly brownish looking thing whereas the current look is more like a dark metal. Like, I see the argument for the old look for sure, but the old pewter looking brownish was one of the reasons I never really liked their previous look. Lighting is a big factor though.

 

Donald+Penn+Houston+Texans+v+Tampa+Bay+B

And their current pewter DOESN'T look brown to you? As melonscratchers go, that's a honeydewdle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MCM0313 said:

And their current pewter DOESN'T look brown to you? As melonscratchers go, that's a honeydewdle.

 

There are lighting situations where I can see what you're talking about, but generally no. Certainly not as much as the old look. This looks more like a charcoal or something. I know it's cherry-picking, but I feel like it's impossible to look at the two photos I posted and come to the conclusion that the new look is more brown.

 

usatsi_10233902.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

 

The numbers really are bad, even as an apologist for this set. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

 

its more than a fashion choice— the materials arn't as good as (yet?) as the matte fabrics. and in the grand history of football, it was the shiny materials that were the fad and flat colors are a return to center

 

here's where i stand on the helmet/pants thing though; i think a metallic helmet paired with matte jersey/pants makes sense. i guess i would start with the fabric, i just dont think shiny materials are good look. it reminds me of tacky fashion trends or cheap track suits or something; Night At The Roxbury even. fabrics IMO that look like soft fabrics are more pleasing to the eye and make sense as something a normal person would wear. the helmet though we understand can be painted in many different ways, so when you see a silver painted shell, it's not odd. its just seems like a logical application.

 

I do think it is cyclical. Honestly I think half the reason we see "cheap" or "tacky" when we look at shiny NFL pants from the early 2000s is a lot of the stuff around them. Like... also having mesh holes in jerseys, a Reebok logo, different zipper/belt situation, outdated facemask models, etc.

 

wide-receiver-darnerien-mccants-of-the-w

 

I definitely think that a 2018 Mach Speed Flex Force Turbo Nike Vapor Untouchably Zoom Force branded uniform that has shiny pants could look cool and modern in context.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DeFrank said:

I definitely think that a 2018 Mach Speed Flex Force Turbo Nike Vapor Untouchably Zoom Force branded uniform that has shiny pants could look cool and modern in context.

Can someone on here mock that up?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tangentially related: in Unnecessary Roughness '96, you could adjust the finish of the jersey and pants in addition to their color. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/4/2018 at 12:26 PM, MCM0313 said:

Tangentially related: in Unnecessary Roughness '96, you could adjust the finish of the jersey and pants in addition to their color. 

 

Around :30

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.