infrared41's Best and Worst - 2018 NFL Week Four

infrared41

Week four was tough. There were some good looking games, but none of them were what I'd consider great looking match ups. My opinion is the entire best list would have a tough time breaking the top three in any other week. Fortunately, only one game for the worst list this week. And we had a few games where good match ups were wasted on either the opponent, a color rush uniform, or being matched up against one of the worst throwback uniforms of all time. All in all, not the greatest week of uniform match ups, but we'll soldier on. I'm pretty sure that I'm going to catch plenty of flack for the order of the best list this week so it's probably a good time to strongly remind everyone of the following. B) As always, the lists are just for fun and they're just my opinion. Your opinion is may be different than mine or others who post in the thread and that's perfectly fine. All I ask is that we keep the conversation civil and limited to the uniforms.  Give the big wheel a spin and let's play our game.

BEST:

1. Saints - Giants: New Orleans has one of the few color rush uniforms that actually looks good. My only issue with it is the white socks. Throw a little contrast in there with the socks and it's a really nice uniform. As always, the Giants looked great. 

CjUnRc6.jpgkYQdDdd.jpg

2. Browns - Raiders: Of all the Browns combos, the all white is the only one I think actually looks pretty good. Throw in some sunshine, great color contrast, those flawless Raiders uniforms, and here we are. 

0yaFJPJ.jpg

3. Jets - Jaguars: I gotta say that I really liked how the Jags all white matched up with the Jets. This game looked a lot better than I thought it would. Yes, the new Jags uniforms are #3 on the Best List. Sue me. B)

IBwxFwo.jpg

4. Vikings - Rams: Long time followers of my silly lists know that I'm not as big a fan of these Rams throwbacks as most people are. I think they look pretty good and they're definitely better than the mis-matched mess the Rams wear otherwise, but the throwbacks aren't one of my favorites. I prefer the Rams 70's blue and white uniforms. The Vikings purple wasn't a great match for the Rams throwbacks either. This was a solid looking game that would have looked a lot better if the Vikings had gone all white. Great helmets, so there's that. 

GoYEXsD.jpg

5. Texans - Colts: Another great example of how all white would have worked better than the white over navy the Texans wore. Just a little too much blue fighting for our attention in this one. It was still a good looking game, but it could have been better.

zQguNUA.jpg

THANKS FOR NOTHING - or how one team ruined what would have been a good looking game.

1. Green Bay Packers: You have the Bills coming to Lambeau so of course you break out one of the worst throwbacks ever. Nice job.

aVmy6T0.jpg

2. Detroit Lions: We could have had a decent looking game between the Lions and Cowboys. Instead, we got this disaster.

Dup9f23.jpg

3. Atlanta Falcons: You get to wear these good looking throwbacks twice a season and you decide to waste one of them on the Bengals? 

xZZfJmH.jpg

WORST:

1. Seahawks - Cardinals: If you love "modern uniforms" this was the game for you. Both teams are close to having good looks. Seattle needs to limit the monochrome look to white. The Cardinals just need to clean up all that dated striping on the jerseys and pants and lose the side panels. Until then, they're going to be worst list regulars.

MnqbYeK.jpg

That's it for this week. We'll do it all again next week. Thanks for taking a look. 

BB52Big.jpg

17 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

THANKS FOR NOTHING - or how one team ruined what would have been a good looking game.

1. Green Bay Packers: You have the Bills coming to Lambeau so of course you break out one of the worst throwbacks ever. Nice job.

aVmy6T0.jpg

The Packers throwbacks would be AWESOME if they'd just matched the damn pants!

They wore these jerseys for their championships in 1939 and 1944 and both were with matching gold pants.  They actually ditched the canvas pants pretty shortly after they adopted this uniform.  Why they continue to ruin what would otherwise be a gorgeous look is just perplexing and grinds my damn gears!

31 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

4. Vikings - Rams: Long time followers of my silly lists know that I'm not as big a fan of these Rams throwbacks as most people are. I think they look pretty good and they're definitely better than the mis-matched mess the Rams wear otherwise, but the throwbacks aren't one of my favorites. I prefer the Rams 70's blue and white uniforms. The Vikings purple wasn't a great match for the Rams throwbacks either. This was a solid looking game that would have looked a lot better if the Vikings had gone all white. Great helmets, so there's that. 

GoYEXsD.jpg

5. Texans - Colts: Another great example of how all white would have worked better than the white over navy the Texans wore. Just a little too much blue fighting for our attention in this one. It was still a good looking game, but it could have been better.

zQguNUA.jpg

I have the opposite opinion regarding the pants. I think it balances out the uniform and makes the whole matchup look better. Especially in the Houstion vs Indy game when the Colts are going WRW vs NWN and they have similar shirt designs. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I miss the Texans’ red-topped socks that balanced really well with the red numbers. Without the red socks, the red numbers don't work.

In general, the Texans' uniforms are really starting to age. That shoulder stripe mismatch with the pants was always strange and is becoming a bigger issue every year.

(I might live to regret this post if Nike gets their hands on the Texans.)

I agree with Saints/Giants, Browns/Raiders, and Vikings/Rams being on the best list. However, I'm not especially a fan of Jets/Jags and Texans/Colts. My problem with the Jets/Jags game is that it just looks so boring. The Jaguars uniforms lack any kind of defining characteristic, and the Jets green looked washed out in the bright sunlight. I'd argue this was the most neutral game this week. For Texans/Colts, the yoga pants from Houston preclude this from making my list. That uniform becomes unbalanced with blue socks and pants, and while the Colts blue jerseys look brilliant in the sunlight, this is just enough to keep the game off my list. I think you missed two games that should've taken their spots.

49ers at Chargers

lo7eh9umvjwaohuwgzfu.jpg

The 49ers have classic uniforms that look especially great when wearing their red jerseys. The Chargers wore their best white uniforms. To me, this is easily above both the Jets/Jags and Texans/Colts games. I'd even put it ahead of Vikings/Rams and Browns/Raiders.

Chiefs at Broncos

w2g5wvdqootmschcmlem.jpg

The Broncos brought out the all-blue alternates for just the right occasion. When the Chiefs go R/W/R against the Broncos B/O/W, the combination of orange and red on the field looks garish to me. Instead, this uniform matchup does a great job at contrasting the teams' colors in a striking way. I know many aren't a fan of the Broncos uniforms, but I've always enjoyed their home combinations. The Chiefs always look good.

I have to agree with Saints/Giants being the top. That was an absolutely beautiful game. 

Good on the Browns for wearing their most tolerable combo and making that game a good one like it should be. When they go orange-white-white, they look about as good as they possibly can given the circumstances of their set. Pair that against the always really really good looking Raiders and you’ve got a visually pleasing game. 

Packers/Bills had all the potential in the world to be matchup of the week, but yikes those throwbacks. On a side note, I used to be very anti-white helmet for the Bills, as I grew up very used to them with a red helmet, but I’m really coming around to it now. It’s taken a few years, but red helmet preference aside, it’s finally growing on me. 

I wish the Falcons would’ve worn the beautiful fauxbacks against a better looking opponent, but dang was I still so happy to see them anyways. I don’t recall who they’re scheduled to wear them against next, but off the top of my head, they’d really look stunning against Green Bay or Dallas or something. 

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

5 hours ago, infrared41 said:

Yes, the new Jags uniforms are #3 on the Best List. Sue me. B)

Well, they're certainly not going to clash with the other team! It's like a blank canvas that lets the other team's uniforms shine.

The Rams and Vikings uniforms are great on their own, but they don't look that great together IMO.

Even with the Browns dumb details, Browns @ Raiders is the clear #1 for me. The baseball field makes it possibly the best of the season. 

Put me down as having Rams-Vikings as my matchup of the year so far. I don’t know what it was about that game, but something about it just really appealed to me.

Browns-Raiders and Chiefs-Broncos both looked great too. There have been some really great matchups so far this year.

1 hour ago, DiePerske said:

The Rams throwbacks, along with the tastefully modern Vikings makes it a clear number one for me. That said, it's all subjective and if @infrared41 doesnt like them, he doesnt like them

I thought it was a good looking game, I just liked the games ahead of it better. 

BB52Big.jpg

16 hours ago, Ark said:

The Rams and Vikings uniforms are great on their own, but they don't look that great together MO.

Even with the Browns dumb details, Browns @ Raiders is the clear #1 for me. The baseball field makes it possibly the best of the season. 

No complaints about disadvantaged uniforms this week? I figured I’d get an earful from you about how the Seahawks - Cards game should have been at the top of the best list but it never had a chance or something.  B)

BB52Big.jpg

For me, the top 3 are:

1. Rams/Vikings (2 best helmets in the NFL plus that California sun lighting, man…)

2. 49ers/Chargers (nice, bright, contrasting colors with that California sun lighting, man…)

3. Saints/Giants (I feel the Saints could be one of the only teams that could have a third jersey that’s primarily white, just use that original brassy gold that us Saints fans on this board love so much)

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

Archived