2018 MLB Postseason: The Hunt for <insert team color here> October

Crabcake

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We just experienced what happens to a rookie pitcher in his first postseason appearance when he's handed an error behind him followed by an intentional walk to force a "hey, just throw strikes, no pressure, kid" situation.

VmWIn6B.png

Proud of the Braves pulling out the win tonight even after losing that 5-0 lead, esp. Vizcaino striking them out in the 9th after getting runners on first and second with no outs. Even if the season ends tomorrow this win and this performance makes me feel great about the season and the future. They looked like a playoff team! Division winners! Just a fun young team on the rise with lots of grit and fight. Get them another piece or two and let them all grow and stabilize and you've got an awesome shot at some pennants and some rings. Sportsball no longer sucks.

ICXC NIKA

24 minutes ago, RockyTopper said:

Proud of the Braves pulling out the win tonight even after losing that 5-0 lead, esp. Vizcaino striking them out in the 9th after getting runners on first and second with no outs. Even if the season ends tomorrow this win and this performance makes me feel great about the season and the future. They looked like a playoff team! Division winners! Just a fun young team on the rise with lots of grit and fight. Get them another piece or two and let them all grow and stabilize and you've got an awesome shot at some pennants and some rings. Sportsball no longer sucks.

Just win 2 more!(Don't like the odds, but still)

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

Tonight is the first postseason game at SunTrust Park, in its second year.  Marlins Park is once again the only active ballpark that has never hosted a postseason game, and I think it will remain that way for at least a few years.

I am more than happy with what the Braves have done this year. I went in expecting a 2nd or 3rd place finish on the season, but looked forward to the next few years when the young guys came up and established themselves in the Majors. A little help from DC falling off, and the performance from the rookies have made me even more excited to see where this team will be. A few issues with the bullpen, figuring out what to do with the rotation, and what to do with Markakis are the things that I see should be the focus of the off-season. Camargo played his way into the 3B position, and unless a superstar decides to come to Cobb County, I think he's earned his place. 

I'd like to see them push a game 5, but I don't know if they can do that with how much they've used the pen so far. Folty needs a big game to get it back to LA.

The Astros have been the best team in baseball from the first day of spring training. There's a reason why they're the defending champions. It's only appropriate that the road to the AL pennant is going to run through Houston and, from a Yankee perspective, if they find their way past the Red Sox it's only appropriate that to get to the World Series they'll need to get even with the Astros after losing to them in the ALCS last season. (I guess it's pretty much the same from the Red Sox perspective, now that I think about it, but I'm not a Red Sox fan so I don't care about their "story".)

The last time a team won the World Series in consecutive seasons was 1999-2000. The Astros have all the pieces to be the next team to do that.

spacer.png

23 minutes ago, selby56 said:

Very fitting the Indians are eliminated on Indigenous People’s Day to go along with Wahoo's overdue retirement.

Fixed.

My hope for the league flippers World Series remains, while the MOD EDIT series is eliminated! It doesn’t look like the Astros missed a beat at all.

4 hours ago, selby56 said:

Very fitting the Indians are eliminated on Columbus Day to go along with Wahoo's last game.

... AND the Braves were eliminated as well ... (now all we need is Washington to lose on Monday Night Football) 

I saw, I came, I left.

4 hours ago, selby56 said:

Very fitting the Indians are eliminated on Columbus Day to go along with Wahoo's last game.

Also fitting: Los Angeles (city and county) renamed the holiday to "Indigenous Peoples Day."

VmWIn6B.png

Are we sure Alex Cora is actually a good manager or did he inherit a team so stacked that anyone could manage them?

Mickey Callway could have easily won 100 games with this team had he taken the Red Sox job instead of the Mets?

6 hours ago, SabresRule7361 said:

Are we sure Alex Cora is actually a good manager or did he inherit a team so stacked that anyone could manage them?

Mickey Callway could have easily won 100 games with this team had he taken the Red Sox job instead of the Mets?

I’m all for questioning/getting on the case of the Red Sox, but if the Yankees had won this game you’d be saying the same thing about Aaron Boone. 

spacer.png

Both managers, Boone and Cora, were put into the best possible situation to succeed with the rosters they have. Both teams are loaded, and it kills me when ESPN or any other sports network decides to drool over both of them. With their payrolls, and talent on the bench, they SHOULD win their division and make it into the playoffs. To me, Craig Counsell, Brian Snitker, Bud Black, or Bob Melvin should honestly win Manager of the Year. They had much less to work with all season, and all of those four had slim chances at the beginning of the season to make it into the playoffs, much less win their division. But none of those names are big enough for the voters, and FIRST YEAR MANAGER/PLAYOFFS are the only thing they are going to look at. 

The Brewers are impressive, but Craig Counsell's on-the-record thoughts about bullpen management would disqualify him from Manager of the Minute. 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I would give the AL award to Cash and the NL award to Counsell, only because I thought those were the two most improved teams from last year.

I feel like putting any further thought into the award implies it has actual meaning and isn't based purely on qualitative attributes that can't be measured.

It is a fun award to debate though because you can make up almost any criteria you want and nobody will tell you that you're wrong.

Archived