Loyola Marymount Visual Rebrand

LMU

My alma mater (and username) is seeking public comment for an entire university visual rebrand.

LbleIxo.jpg

https://marcomm.lmu.edu/brand/lmu-identity-redesign/

They're really emphasizing the digital/web aspects as the school has branded itself as the "University of Silicon Beach" with its proximity to Venice, Playa Vista, and all the tech companies that are in the area.

The only complaint that I have is that the new lion logo is monochrome.  Other than that?  Quite solid.

VmWIn6B.png

3 hours ago, lilben777 said:

Looks like the lightened blue, I like the contrast with the maroon. But so far only the new “LMU” as a new athletic mark? Will there be more coming?

From what I gathered the isolated lion head (spirit logo) is probably going to be used in an athletic sense.  Can't say I'm a fan of that with it being monochrome.  They definitely need something other than generic block arched letters. (EDIT: I posted a usage graphic in the first post.  The lion head is in fact a secondary athletic logo)

My fellow alums are practically going pitchforks and torches over this.  They hate the blue and are the most offended by the removal of the Latin school motto from the seal and the more subtle reference to the Jesuits despite the current one being way too busy and screaming 1960s.

For reference, here's the disjointed current identity:

UP8DDB8.jpg

FlY0Hkv.png

lmu_logo.png

VmWIn6B.png

On 10/10/2018 at 9:55 PM, LMU said:

LbleIxo.jpg

My sister-in-law has worked for Loyola Marymount University for nearly 20 years and I have numerous friends and colleagues who are alumni of the institution. We've been discussing the roll-out of LMU's proposed visual package for much of the week. To a person, we all find it lacking.

* The lion spirit mark, meant to "infuse the Ignatian tradition into the university mascot", is as clunky a bit of design work as we've ever encountered. Perhaps it could be saved if the 18 rays of the art deco sunburst drawn from the Jesuit seal were split evenly between 9 straight-edged rays and 9 wave-edged rays, with the two types of rays alternating one after another. As it stands now, it appears disjointed.

* The block, slab serif typeface of the new primary athletics mark strikes us as being a generic downgrade from the Gothic-inspired type found in the current athletic word mark.

* While we like the fact that the proposed palette better ties into the color affinities of the Society of Jesuits (LMU Crimson) and the Religious of the Sacred Heart of Mary (LMU Blue), we do find it ironic that said hues seem to mimic a combination of the defining colors of USC (Cardinal) and UCLA (UCLA Blue).   

10 hours ago, Brian in Boston said:

My sister-in-law has worked for Loyola Marymount University for nearly 20 years and I have numerous friends and colleagues who are alumni of the institution. We've been discussing the roll-out of LMU's proposed visual package for much of the week. To a person, we all find it lacking.

* The lion spirit mark, meant to "infuse the Ignatian tradition into the university mascot", is as clunky a bit of design work as we've ever encountered. Perhaps it could be saved if the 18 rays of the art deco sunburst drawn from the Jesuit seal were split evenly between 9 straight-edged rays and 9 wave-edged rays, with the two types of rays alternating one after another. As it stands now, it appears disjointed.

* The block, slab serif typeface of the new primary athletics mark strikes us as being a generic downgrade from the Gothic-inspired type found in the current athletic word mark.

* While we like the fact that the proposed palette better ties into the color affinities of the Society of Jesuits (LMU Crimson) and the Religious of the Sacred Heart of Mary (LMU Blue), we do find it ironic that said hues seem to mimic a combination of the defining colors of USC (Cardinal) and UCLA (UCLA Blue).   

I agree on the spirit mark being the main issue.  It's too busy and I really hate how it's supposed to be the main athletic Lion mark but it's monochrome.  It works when it's part of the shield logo/seal but it's definitely not meant for athletic usage.  Also agreed on the arched LMU being extremely generic.  The one bit of inside information I have there is that the athletic department dislikes the actual gothic font outside of the arched LMU logo claiming that the letters blend together (the Y looking too much like a V, etc).

I'm actually fine with the colors as they're pretty much an update of the original colors before the original version of the athletic redesign was introduced.  Looking at the athletic department right now the color usage is completely disjointed.  The basketball teams have gone ridiculously navy-heavy (with only the lion head logo on the road shorts having any crimson) while the baseball team is predominately crimson.  I'll take anything to change the look up.

VmWIn6B.png

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, WarriorFight said:

Current student, and I vastly prefer the new look to the old one, especially the main crest. The sports logo font is quite generic, but I prefer the color scheme being lighter here. the powder blue is an upgrade on the navy blue imo.

Nice to finally see another Lion around here.

VmWIn6B.png

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2019 at 9:13 AM, aztex82 said:

Overall I think it’s an upgrade and great at unifying the University’s brand. But I’m really not a fan of the lion’s mane. It looks like he has two little spike legs and spikey squiggle arms. Like the Colonel Sanders logo.

The mane is actually inspired by the logo for the Jesuit order.  It obviously had to be simplified, hence the removal of more of the squiggle arms.

RMC4Czn.png

Here's an article from the design firm on the thought process.

VmWIn6B.png

Archived