A History of Yellow Uniforms in the NHL

October 11, 2018 - 17:28 PM

The Pittsburgh Penguins announced earlier this week that the club would be sporting a yellow (they call it “Pittsburgh gold”) alternate uniform for 12 of their 82 games this season; the design an amalgamation of two previous yellow jerseys the […]

Read More...

So great to see yellow/gold making a comeback in the NHL as a primary colour. Unfortunately, it's always been set up to fail by average to poor teams until the Predators adopted it full-time. If the Kings had kept their original purple and gold going into the Gretzky era but with the original template and had the Canucks kept the original Stick In Rink instead of going with the Flying V plus having highly skilled players to compete with the Oilers and Islanders, yellow/gold would be as popular as many of the classic whites and dark colours.

On 10/11/2018 at 12:30 PM, SportsLogos.Net News said:

October 11, 2018 - 17:28 PM

yellow-hockey-nhl-uniforms.jpg

The Pittsburgh Penguins announced earlier this week that the club would be sporting a yellow (they call it “Pittsburgh gold”) alternate uniform for 12 of their 82 games this season; the design an amalgamation of two previous yellow jerseys the […]

Read More...

What B’s sweater is that? Did they ever use those in games? That’s the first time I’ve seen a variant with no white stripes before. 

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

I gotta say, the 1980s was a pretty crazy time for hockey uniforms.

And I'm likely in the minority on this, but I actually dig the Kings and Canucks (both the big 'V' and the shoulder-'V' jerseys) jerseys from that era. :D

UBwef0L.png

1 hour ago, johnnysama said:

I gotta say, the 1980s was a pretty crazy time for hockey uniforms.

And I'm likely in the minority on this, but I actually dig the Kings and Canucks (both the big 'V' and the shoulder-'V' jerseys) jerseys from that era. :D

The '80 was not a crazy time for hockey uniforms. Colorful, yes but not crazy. The generic BBFS 90's with uniforms with diagonal hemlines and mountain and wavy designs were a crazy time for hockey unis.

You are in a very high minority because I, too, loved the unique home yellow/gold of the Canucks and Kings along with their matchups vs the greens of the North Stars & Whalers and reds of the Flames(classics), Red Wings, Devils w/dark green and Capitals.

• 2 weeks later...

My favorite yellow uniform, and it's not even close, is the LA Kings when they had the Flyers template in the 1980s.  I wish they'd have kept them for Gretzky.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

14 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

My favorite yellow uniform, and it's not even close, is the LA Kings when they had the Flyers template in the 1980s.  I wish they'd have kept them for Gretzky.

Gretzky's Jofa helmet would have looked great in home yellow and away purple.

I still prefer the original Kings uniform with the Red Wings' red jersey template but the I will take the Kings' 80's look over anything black and silver. Purple and yellow-gold look great together and it was distinctive and unique.

On 10/13/2018 at 6:29 PM, Mingjai said:

What B’s sweater is that? Did they ever use those in games? That’s the first time I’ve seen a variant with no white stripes before. 

There is white, it's just the way the photo is colored where it doesn't look very white.

Archived