What is the rarest color in sports?

Quillz

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Great question.  What about beige or cream?  I remember only the Giants and Phils have a cream uni.

Yes to that Hitmen uniform!

https://www.nba.com/bucks/release/bucks-introduce-cream-city-city-edition-uniforms

gdf_0084_1200x600_0_0.jpg?itok=ih3T3mTF

7 minutes ago, Prince Harry said:

I don’t think ever seen light or desaturated purple used. No mauve or lavender anywhere. 

Image result for lavender sports uniforms

Couple points...

- Regarding purple, yes it is rare in MLB (so much so that even the one team that wears it doesn't wear enough of it), the NFL has two, and I believe it's now completely nonexistent in the NHL. (Memo to the Kings: bring the people back!) But for a pretty good stretch of the '90s and early 2000s, purple was about as prevalent in the NBA as navy/red was and is in the bigs... worn by no less than six clubs. Everyone knows about the Lakers--, though most probably associate them with yellow before purple--but also during that time you had the Phoenix Suns (purple and orange--and speaking of über-rare color combos, there you go), Utah Jazz (purple and, through much of the '90s, some of everything else), the Toronto Raptors (purple, red and black--and again, speaking of über-rare color combos, purple and red), Charlotte/New Orleans Hornets (purple and teal, later with yellow-gold), and Sacramento Kings (purple, black and silver). Yeah, purple was pretty prominent for a good lil' bit there.

- Someone mentioned pink. Good call, as by my count, and excepting Pinktober*, only two pro sports clubs in the States use any shade of it as a primary color (one of which isn't even playing yet) the new Inter Miami FC MLS side, and my hometown Pensacola Blue Wahoos (we call it "Bright Rose"):

BTS-Pensacola-5.png

blandino.0.jpg

team_photo.jpg

B9317245967Z.1_20150507000844_000_G8LAND

(Side note: I have quite a bit of that color in my closet at home, for obvious reasons.)

- Brown has also been mentioned...we know about the Cleveland Browns, and at least one MLS squad used the color for their change kits (Vancouver, some years back). And there's a certain MLB team many of us would love to see revive the color for their identity......

- Back when the Tampa Bay Buccaneers rebranded in '97, they were the only major pro sports team to use gray (in their case, pewter) as a primary color--definitely a pioneering step at the time. But thanks to Nike's rampant anthracite craze a few years ago, and the wild ? of gray it caused throughout CFB, we can officially rule out gray as unique.

- Whatever that shade of green is the Seattle Sounders use is pretty unique. (What is it, "rave" green, "action" green, somebody?)--and really, so is their share of blue, which in itself is a unique color pairing. It seems bright yet almost slate-ish, if that makes sense. (If ColorWerx is still around here... I'm curious how close the Sounders' current blue is to that of the Minnesota Timberwolves, at least the shade used during the Marbury/Garnett days.)

- Some brought up orange. As I see it right now, some teams use it, but aside from the Buccaneers prior to '97, I have yet to see a pro sports team utilize, primarily, a straight orange-and-white colorway, a la the Tennessee Volunteers. Again, Tampa came close, mixing in red (again, somewhat of a unique colorway in itself), and perhaps the Houston Dynamo if one goes off their primary kits (though they still mid in some of that light blue, and of course some black). What other teams out there could take a stand at a primarily orange and white color scheme? I don't see the Phoenix Suns going that route, neither do I see the Philadelphia Flyers doing so (although the idea of it intrigues me), so who would that leave? Perhaps Houston's own Astros, maybe? (How would a straight orange-and-white, with maybe minimal other-color-trim MLB squad look? ?) Of course, Tampa could always pick back up their original creamsicle-orange roots again (and I certainly wish they'd do that)...

- Speaking of unique color pairings, one I wish I could see happen--and it could happen tomorrow in a snap in Kansas City--is a royal blue and metallic gold colorway. I remember the University of Tulsa's football uniforms from the Paul Smith days carrying that colorway and I found it to be distinctive, especially with how they managed to mix in the slightest hint of red.  (Those actually were some of my favorite football uniforms of all time... don't @ me.) 

I think that's enough for now...

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

19 hours ago, Buc said:

Couple points...

- Regarding purple, yes it is rare in MLB (so much so that even the one team that wears it doesn't wear enough of it), the NFL has two, and I believe it's now completely nonexistent in the NHL. (Memo to the Kings: bring the people back!) But for a pretty good stretch of the '90s and early 2000s, purple was about as prevalent in the NBA as navy/red was and is in the bigs... worn by no less than six clubs. Everyone knows about the Lakers--, though most probably associate them with yellow before purple--but also during that time you had the Phoenix Suns (purple and orange--and speaking of über-rare color combos, there you go), Utah Jazz (purple and, through much of the '90s, some of everything else), the Toronto Raptors (purple, red and black--and again, speaking of über-rare color combos, purple and red), Charlotte/New Orleans Hornets (purple and teal, later with yellow-gold), and Sacramento Kings (purple, black and silver). Yeah, purple was pretty prominent for a good lil' bit there.

I can't believe you left out the Bucks. The Bucks purple and green (plus gray) was a rare color combination that I'm pretty sure was only ever used by them and Wimbledon. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

i wish we saw more metallic colors like brass, copper, or pewter. not many pastel colors at all, even lighter shades of blue and pink we do see are often fairly saturated. outside of Vintage White, theres not many off-white colors i can think of either. 

theres loads of variations of colors i'd like to see more. when you say "orange" most people picture the same swatch (think Mets or Broncos) but then there's Tennessee Orange and Texas' Burnt Orange. little shifts in a traditional sports swatch goes a long way. 

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Pink: Palermo, Inter Miami, Blue Wahoos

Brown: Browns, Bucs (thanks Nike), Tufts, Wyoming

I'm sure if you dig into alternate uniforms/kits you'll get a few more (such as Juventus) but those are the only examples that pop into my head

4 hours ago, McCarthy said:

I can't believe you left out the Bucks. The Bucks purple and green (plus gray) was a rare color combination that I'm pretty sure was only ever used by them and Wimbledon. 

I knew I forgot one... charge it to my head, not my heart. ? That then makes seven NBA teams that used purple at that time--only furthering my point. And to yours, regarding purple and green, the only other pro sports team I remember using purple and green also played in Milwaukee...the Arena League's Milwaukee Mustangs (although in fairness, their "green" shaded more towards teal thsn a true green):

sppiranhasshirtrdl-anaheim-piranhas-vs-m

12MilwaukeeMustangs_0_crop_340x234.jpg?1

3 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

i wish we saw more metallic colors like brass, copper, or pewter. not many pastel colors at all, even lighter shades of blue and pink we do see are often fairly saturated. outside of Vintage White, theres not many off-white colors i can think of either. 

theres loads of variations of colors i'd like to see more. when you say "orange" most people picture the same swatch (think Mets or Broncos) but then there's Tennessee Orange and Texas' Burnt Orange. little shifts in a traditional sports swatch goes a long way. 

Perfect example of this can be found up on Corvallis...Oregon State. The shade of orange they use is definitely unique... it's muted, yet still somehow vibrant enough to stand out on it's own:

usa_today_9580517.0.jpg

a4dd2029-6a17-4995-a4e4-d71b1acced64-lar

I've always really liked that particular shade of orange. (Then again, orange is one of my two favorite colors, so there's that.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

On 10/16/2018 at 3:45 PM, BrandMooreArt said:

Some other examples of this would be the old Astros' red (Diamondbacks as well), Seahawks old blue (Timberwolves as well), Marlins' blue, and I'm sure there are others

On 10/16/2018 at 7:42 PM, Buc said:

I knew I forgot one... charge it to my head, not my heart. ? That then makes seven NBA teams that used purple at that time--only furthering my point. And to yours, regarding purple and green, the only other pro sports team I remember using purple and green also played in Milwaukee...the Arena League's Milwaukee Mustangs (although in fairness, their "green" shaded more towards teal thsn a true green):

sppiranhasshirtrdl-anaheim-piranhas-vs-m

12MilwaukeeMustangs_0_crop_340x234.jpg?1

Perfect example of this can be found up on Corvallis...Oregon State. The shade of orange they use is definitely unique... it's muted, yet still somehow vibrant enough to stand out on it's own:

usa_today_9580517.0.jpg

a4dd2029-6a17-4995-a4e4-d71b1acced64-lar

I've always really liked that particular shade of orange. (Then again, orange is one of my two favorite colors, so there's that.)

Officially, it's the same orange as the Bears 

And apparently the Miami Hurricanes

Archived