Miami Marlins 2019 Rebrand

SilverBullet1929

4 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Eh, maybe.  Anything that's not dark text on white or white text on dark will.  But some of my favorite jerseys and caps would fail this particular test.  Which again, is a silly and unfair test.

mike-trout-of-the-los-angeles-angels-of- mookie-betts-mlb-spring-training-st.-louhwl?set=sku%5B20905571%5D,c%5B2%5D,w%5B4

I'm thinking that these photos, with the subjects in shadow and the distant backgrounds brightly illuminated, do nothing to tell us that will be the case.  Unless we're looking for problems.  I'm willing to wait until we can see them in game conditions.

I think that the Angels and Brewers examples work well enough because the outlines are more pronounced than in the Marlins set. I actually not too thrilled with the Angels alternate jersey but I think the white border does heavy lifting there. And in the Brewers case, the yellow accenting just seems broader. The yellow seems more "compact" and vibrant because it's a logo rather than a script. All of the small nooks and crannies of the Marlins wordmark just get swallowed up into the jersey.

I must confess I'm not super in love with either those overall, but I do think the accenting works better than in the Marlins case. I think the black is a lot of the problem because it's such a drab color and there just isn't enough light blue to create the contrast.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

I rarely agree with @Marlins93 about the new jerseys and the lighting conditions but I think he's absolutely right here and these clips of the road jerseys being used in the Arizona Fall League seem to show what he's saying... 

I'm happy that there are some Marlins fans out there who are enjoying them at least.

On 1/22/2019 at 3:04 AM, dont care said:

When you say blow up to actual size do you mean zoom all the way in because that’s what I had to do. If that’s what you meant that’s a problem because if you are trying to watch from the stands you will have no idea who’s playing where or anything until they get show. On the jumbotron, and then at home you’ll have the same problem with anything that ain’t a closeup.

No I mean looking at the pictures in full size. You don't have to zoom in, just literally blow them up to full screen and everything is plenty legible, imo.

ClAFLDa.png

• 2 weeks later...

Marlins Twitter did a thing where if you sent them your name and a uniform number they'd make a jersey style wallpaper for you. But instead of using the regular name lettering they used the font that they use in all their social media videos. Thought it was interesting to share, might have looked cool/unique on the real jerseys. Also thought the 7 number was an interesting shape as it has two "sharp points" to it...

It took almost 3 months but MLB Shop is sending me the correct Miami primary logo t-shirt because of the misprint. I didn't ask for this and never complained about the error and they are not asking for the defective shirt to be returned. Hopefully this is happening to everyone else as well. Wouldn't be shocked if the Marlins made an issue about this or that this is something that has to be corrected for legal issues as far as licensing. Glad to hear this. 

7 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

It took almost 3 months but MLB Shop is sending me the correct Miami primary logo t-shirt because of the misprint. I didn't ask for this and never complained about the error and they are not asking for the defective shirt to be returned. Hopefully this is happening to everyone else as well. Wouldn't be shocked if the Marlins made an issue about this or that this is something that has to be corrected for legal issues as far as licensing. Glad to hear this. 

I'm kind of amazed MLBShop/Fanatics researched all past orders and sent updated shirts. Had to be a huge complaint from MLB, and maybe they learned about it from this board (?) 

(yes, MLB is very aware of this message board)

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

15 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

I'm kind of amazed MLBShop/Fanatics researched all past orders and sent updated shirts. Had to be a huge complaint from MLB, and maybe they learned about it from this board (?) 

It's licensing. For Majestic to keep the license to sell MLB shirts they must reproduce all logos 100% accurate. They didn't here, for whatever reason, so they basically have to correct every single error. 

11 hours ago, poser said:

What was the mistake?

On the primary logo, the red shadow to the left of the last letter i was missing. It was subtle if you weren't looking for it but it was also more obvious since the word Miami has two i's that could be compared. There are pics earlier in this thread somewhere. 

2 hours ago, Marlins93 said:

I hope not too many Marlins fans have purchased Realmuto jerseys or shirts! I'm a little worried about Sixto's elbow and Alfaro's strikeout rate, but this is a very solid trade overall.

Considering how he's made it clear he's wanted out I hope the fans got the hint.

10 hours ago, KGeeX5 said:

Considering how he's made it clear he's wanted out I hope the fans got the hint.

You'd be shocked how many Marlins "fans" still don't understand that he didn't want to stay here. The reactions on social media are hilarious, upset that the Marlins wouldn't keep him longterm, when it's been said countless times that he requested a trade, turned down contract extensions, and publicly stated (through his agent) that he would not entertain contract extension offers. The Marlins did the right thing here.

2 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

You'd be shocked how many Marlins "fans" still don't understand that he didn't want to stay here. The reactions on social media are hilarious, upset that the Marlins wouldn't keep him longterm, when it's been said countless times that he requested a trade, turned down contract extensions, and publicly stated (through his agent) that he would not entertain contract extension offers. The Marlins did the right thing here.

Oh I'm not shocked lol

On 2/6/2019 at 12:49 AM, WSU151 said:

Oh don't worry, it only took  them 5 mins to find those 3 orders 

Marlins Fan Fest attendance last year 2,000.

This year... 22,000.

People are buying in. 

Uniforms, authentic caps and jerseys on the actual players, look 1000% better in person. Pictures do no justice. There are certain elements that work differently to the naked eye. Yes there is a lot of black but in person the blue and red enhance the black extremely well. In photos you see the black but lose the red and blue. In person the red and blue show up more. I think the uniforms got a lot of positive feedback when they were unveiled but I now feel confident that they will grow on people even more over time. 

Lastly, the team store... just wow. When you walk in there with all the new merchandise and the signage the new color scheme looks so gorgeous. I didn't hate the old orange but this light blue fits so much better and has a very cool and vibrant feel as opposed to the orange that was more bright for the sake of being loud and just eventually came off as gaudy. The new fashion merchandise itself was a treat to see too because it showed different ways to use the colors that made me wonder about future authentic gear options. There was blue caps and blue brims and I was attracted to a black cap with a blue front panel that could make a nice BP cap one day. The women's player name and number "shirsey" used blue numbers instead of black and that stood out as well. I kinda wish you guys on here could go to that team store and tell me what you guys thought from a uniform and color scheme perspective. 

Lastly, park renovations look good but were so unfinished it was a bit of a let down as so much of it was just bare bones construction. Of course the target to finish is opening day but it would have been nice to show it off at fan fest. And new Billy the Marlin is a disaster. Super downgrade no ifs ands or buts. They tried to make him more kid friendly but failed miserably. 

I'm glad to hear that it had a great turnout. I do wonder what is driving the increase attendance though. This offseason had less of the shock element of trading away Stanton, Gordon, Yelich, and Ozuna, but they did just dump Realmuto the day before. There really aren't many recognizable, fan favorite names among those on the current roster, so I'm curious what the draw might have been. Guys like Dietrich and Bour aren't even around. While they weren't stars, I sense that they were quite popular.

I am wondering if the team's new aggressive marketing has started to pay off, although I'd be surprised if the needle moves much for home game attendance. Now I'm curious about what FanFest attendance was like in 2016.

4 hours ago, Marlins93 said:

I'm glad to hear that it had a great turnout. I do wonder what is driving the increase attendance though. This offseason had less of the shock element of trading away Stanton, Gordon, Yelich, and Ozuna, but they did just dump Realmuto the day before. There really aren't many recognizable, fan favorite names among those on the current roster, so I'm curious what the draw might have been. Guys like Dietrich and Bour aren't even around. While they weren't stars, I sense that they were quite popular.

I am wondering if the team's new aggressive marketing has started to pay off, although I'd be surprised if the needle moves much for home game attendance. Now I'm curious about what FanFest attendance was like in 2016.

Yea this wasn't driven by stars. I think it has to do with a full year of emphasized community involvement and the uniform rebrand helps and just constantly pushing the idea that we're different than the old regime and are finally moving forward. At first that sounds silly but I guess if you do push it enough then the community starts to listen.

They also did a lot of things like going around the community and giving out new cars to needy families and things like that and they got a lot of local news coverage for it so that can help if you do it enough. They have been verrrry active with local little league teams as well, having players participate in games and even outfitting entire leagues in Marlins uniforms, that's a huge chunk of the potential fanbase when you think about it... kids that love baseball and their parents. 

Also, while this isn't about star players, if you really did watch the Marlins for the last year then the main players, the new core, are still there and are still recognized amongst true fans so there is a familiarity now with guys like Lewis Brinson, Brian Anderson, Miguel Rojas, Sandy Alcantara, Pablo Lopez, etc etc.

I dunno if I'm saying it right but last year the thought was who are all these new guys and while they may not be stars at least now everyone knows these guys and maybe that helped? It's like at least we know who they are!

I would expect attendance to rise from last year because I've heard season ticket sales are increasing but yeah definitely gonna still be a bottom level team until we're actually winning of course. 

Archived