Miami Marlins 2019 Rebrand

SilverBullet1929

Having seen it on Opening Day I'm happy with the look and all the changes. Yeah some more of the blue would be nice and black is more prominent than it should be but I think they look sharp overall.

What I love... and I'm positive someone will rip me for saying this, but I think the home whites have that simple and clean look that the Dodgers A's and Cardinals have with their home whites. For better or worse it's a look that invokes a classic team even though this is a 90s expansion team. And no I'm not saying these are as good as those 3 teams, I'm saying I like how this is reminiscent of them. 

I love the changes to the ballpark as well though I'd lighten the shade of the walls which come off navy. 

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have had difficulty understanding what "clean" means in this context. To me it suggests "simple" in the sense that the jersey set is pretty stripped down in terms of color, piping, front numbers, pinstripes, etc.  I think that kind of works if you are the Detroit Tigers, but not a team from Miami whose entire marketing campaign revolves around Latin flair.

And to the contrary to what's expressed in the post above mine, the script seems to me to be very reminiscent of what's typical for baseball despite the cursive looking artificial. Now the 12-18 script was very distant from traditional; the new one not so much.

On 3/28/2019 at 7:14 PM, Marlins93 said:

Going purely by the TV broadcast, the atmosphere does seem more dome-like and resembling the Trop. Things just don't seem as bright without the green walls. Plus, the grating sound of one guy's horn cutting through the noise of the meager crowd reminds me of every Rays home game I've ever watched.

I have many issues with the overall stadium design and the neglect of natural lighting is certainly at the top of the list.

4 hours ago, AstroBull21 said:

Agreed, the Rays just added LED's to the trop this season and between that and the upgraded turf the overall images and broadcast on TV look better.

3 hours ago, MattMill said:

Wow. I just saw some highlights from yesterday. Tropicana has always had that glossy uncombed patchy crappy look. It felt like for years nothing was done about it. Many NFL venues have that going for it too. Some even have seam lines for when they patch the field together. Cowboys come to mind. It's the little things and I'm glad you brought that up. Trop looks legit now. It took 20 years lol.  And it's even sadder it took me two years to realize the Ray's had done this. With the led, it's finally coming together. 

Makes a big difference. Marlins should definitely try that. 

Here's new shots with the roof off:

I can’t lie but they really made that trainwreck of an out field wall look so much better. The removal of the statue and the switch from green to blue does so much more for it then I’d ever think it would. Hats off to them, it looks great.

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

1 hour ago, Marlins93 said:

I have had difficulty understanding what "clean" means in this context. To me it suggests "simple" in the sense that the jersey set is pretty stripped down in terms of color, piping, front numbers, pinstripes, etc.  I think that kind of works if you are the Detroit Tigers, but not a team from Miami whose entire marketing campaign revolves around Latin flair.

Yes this basically what I mean. It's not cluttered, it has a lot of white in a good way. I think it looks great, whether the team is from Miami or not shouldn't take away from enjoying the aesthetics of it. The problem with Latin flair is that it can easily just become noisy. 

2 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

They're wearing black jerseys today.  I like it.  Would like to see it with black pants.

Woah woah woah easy there buddy!

Anyways I'll admit the black jerseys look cool up close but are virtually illegible in action. These are in definite need of tweaks. 

So I'm a long time member of this board, but I don't really post much, I really just enjoy all the content... A couple things I have to say. I don't get this color on color thing that seems to have turned into a trend, Atl. Braves blue on blue before they thankfully fixed it this season, the Angels red on red which they seem to be completely in love with,( Id love to know what the numbers are on how much they wear those in comparison to their white or gray jerseys) and these black on black Marlins just to name a few... I was watching the Marlins tonight and I feel like they really messed this whole rebranding up badly. They were wearing the black jerseys tonight and unless its really an extreme tight angle close up , you can't really even read the script clearly, its terrible...I feel like the logo design and the word marks aren't the greatest but the usage of the "colours" or should I say lack thereof  is where they really went wrong. They had a blank canvas and this is the best they can do ? I honestly feel they could've somewhat updated the designs and uni's of the originals,(less black of course) and they would've been much better off, factor in they won two championships in a version of that uni and you definitely have something better than this mess that they created.

that's just my opinion...  I wanted to wait until I actually saw them on the field before forming an opinion, hence the reason for a late evaluation.....

1 minute ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Yes this basically what I mean. It's not cluttered, it has a lot of white in a good way. I think it looks great, whether the team is from Miami or not shouldn't take away from enjoying the aesthetics of it. The problem with Latin flair is that it can easily just become noisy. 

Well this is something we will probably never see eye to eye on. "Clean" isn't a word I typically use to describe jerseys, but I don't really see much aesthetic similarity between the Marlins and Dodgers. There's definitely something restrained and pared down about the Marlins look, but I'd characterize that more as blandness rather than "clean" when you consider what the team seemed to be striving for with their branding. Or more in the sense that their neon aesthetic didn't really have the visual vibrancy they thought it would. I'd also say that the set seems to be bogged down by "optical noise," especially when the red and blue get swallowed up by the black, such as in the cap logo. Someone acknowledged that parts of the set actually look purple, and I'd totally agree. That's noisiness rather than clean cut.

13 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Woah woah woah easy there buddy!

Anyways I'll admit the black jerseys look cool up close but are virtually illegible in action. These are in definite need of tweaks. 

Looks like we agree on something after all! The numbers look fine enough. But everything else is hard to make out unless it's a close up camera angle, such as the side view when the batter is in the box. It's kind of telling how much the white MLB 150 patch pops off the sleeve of a RHP on the mound compared to everything else.

Unrelated, but I am really impressed by how much they improved the outfield sightline by adding the 3 tiered SRO section. It just seems so accessible and close to the action, unlike the Clevelander, which I often forget even exists. Only 6,500 in the stands tonight though. Ouch!

15 minutes ago, Marlins93 said:

Looks like we agree on something after all! The numbers look fine enough. But everything else is hard to make out unless it's a close up camera angle, such as the side view when the batter is in the box. It's kind of telling how much the white MLB 150 patch pops off the sleeve of a RHP on the mound compared to everything else.

Unrelated, but I am really impressed by how much they improved the outfield sightline by adding the 3 tiered SRO section. It just seems so accessible and close to the action, unlike the Clevelander, which I often forget even exists. Only 6,500 in the stands tonight though. Ouch!

Agreed the numbers on the Marlins black jerseys are ok.  The name in back should be blue or white...even red would be better than the current black.  The front script I don’t know, but it needs something 

The numbers are the best part because they're huge and the red drop shadow shows but there were times when they were hard to make out as well so I'm not sold on them either. 

Side note, the players are using red accessories quite well. Looks way better than I would have expected. 

3 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Side note, the players are using red accessories quite well. Looks way better than I would have expected. 

I don't know how I feel about this. I want the Marlins to be a teal/blue team and think red should be more of an accenting color. I'd rather see the players sporting blue sleeves and arm bands to complement the nearly monochrome black jerseys. I suppose right now they have black as their primary color with blue getting slightly more priority as a secondary color than red. If red is the tertiary color, it seems weird for players to be pairing arm bands of that color with black, but that could just be my general dissatisfaction with the overall color scheme coming out.

18 minutes ago, Marlins93 said:

I don't know how I feel about this. I want the Marlins to be a teal/blue team and think red should be more of an accenting color. I'd rather see the players sporting blue sleeves and arm bands to complement the nearly monochrome black jerseys. I suppose right now they have black as their primary color with blue getting slightly more priority as a secondary color than red. If red is the tertiary color, it seems weird for players to be pairing arm bands of that color with black, but that could just be my general dissatisfaction with the overall color scheme coming out.

Do you like anything? 

Just now, SilverBullet1929 said:

Nope, to each his own. Wasn't being confrontational buddy. It's all opinion. Just noticing a trend in your posts.  

Don't worry, I have no hard feelings! And, yes, it's all opinions in the end. I am admittedly vocal and opinionated on here about the rebranding, but I like to at least think I make an effort to provide rationale for why I find certain elements poorly conceived or executed. So it's not really hating something to hate. I have no axe to grind here, but I am indeed quite distraught that the Marlins' current set is probably bottom three in MLB, in my opinion of course.

As for Jeter as a whole, I'm being as patient as a devoted fan should be. I think he totally fudged the rebranding and made several other gaffes in terms of team image, but it's definitely not all bad. Baseball-wise I support his decision to unload the high dollar talent, although many of those ensuing transactions are a bit eyebrow raising. I am giving him every opportunity to win and accept that it might not be for another several years, I just wish that the players were better dressed in the meantime!

12 minutes ago, Marlins93 said:

I am admittedly vocal and opinionated on here about the rebranding, but I like to at least think I make an effort to provide rationale for why I find certain elements poorly conceived or executed.

You sure do and that's what counts. I know I'm on the other end of the spectrum, generally supporting most of it, and I like to think I provide my rationale properly as well. So I guess we're in the same boat, just sitting on different ends of it.

10 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Again - I'm curious who YOU now think is 'they'.

The reason I ask is that if either of you think that the team is selecting the background color of the screen graphics, you are misinformed. Teams have nothing to do with that. Given that it isn't the team making that decision, I'm not sure what you are reaching for with the statement.

I was tag-teaming with you but it appears the joke went over your head.

1997 | 2003

21 minutes ago, Marlins93 said:

Don't worry, I have no hard feelings! And, yes, it's all opinions in the end. I am admittedly vocal and opinionated on here about the rebranding, but I like to at least think I make an effort to provide rationale for why I find certain elements poorly conceived or executed. So it's not really hating something to hate. I have no axe to grind here, but I am indeed quite distraught that the Marlins' current set is probably bottom three in MLB, in my opinion of course.

As for Jeter as a whole, I'm being as patient as a devoted fan should be. I think he totally fudged the rebranding and made several other gaffes in terms of team image, but it's definitely not all bad. Baseball-wise I support his decision to unload the high dollar talent, although many of those ensuing transactions are a bit eyebrow raising. I am giving him every opportunity to win and accept that it might not be for another several years, I just wish that the players were better dressed in the meantime!

Jeets and Co. are getting a crash-course in winning is the only thing that will bring fans in and perhaps trading the last two NL MVPs was the straw that broke the camels back for fans.

(Or attendance last two nights is a side effect of everyone avoiding downtown Miami due to Ultra.)

1997 | 2003

Archived