Miami Marlins 2019 Rebrand

SilverBullet1929

The Marlins should just get it over with and change their name to the Miami Raiders/Renegades/whatever name goes well with all black uniforms if they want to own black so darn bad.  Just go BK Nets black and white if you are too afraid to use any color.    

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/17/2019 at 4:58 PM, daveindc said:

Are Marlins fans so desperate, they're posting deceptive pics of other parks? 

Here's what it looked like as Nats fans made it off the Metro and through the gates

How can I make that a deceptive picture... isn't that opening day when they are announcing the rosters?

Everyone wants to crap on the Marlins attendence, so here was my shot at the "Legit Teams".

The point is all the info is on the scoreboard, the in stadium PA tells you whose batting if you cant see- and the Marlins jerseys- while black on black... aren't the worst.

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

4 hours ago, tubby34 said:

How can I make that a deceptive picture... isn't that opening day when they are announcing the rosters?

Everyone wants to crap on the Marlins attendence, so here was my shot at the "Legit Teams".

The point is all the info is on the scoreboard, the in stadium PA tells you whose batting if you cant see- and the Marlins jerseys- while black on black... aren't the worst.

He has already proven to you that the game from the photograph was a sell out and fans filled in by the time it started. I get to ballparks early and wouldn't even bother sitting down for player intros. Most pre-game fanfare is boring. That's why fans don't usually arrive at their seats until around 5 minutes or so before first pitch.

The difference is that at Marlins Park those empty seats never filled in.

On 4/18/2019 at 11:47 AM, SilverBullet1929 said:

This might sound crazy, but I think it might be more accurate to put it the other way around. Didn't one of the PR reps for either MLB or the Marlins mention that they were attempting to design jerseys that could be worn in more contexts outside of going to the ballpark? In other words, it seems like they sort of wanted at least part of the Marlins set to basically be "fashion" jersey. It makes you wonder if the black alternate design emerged from concepts they were already playing with when designing the actual league-wide fashion jerseys, such as the Mets one you posted. That's probably why it looks so ghastly too.

I'm not against bold designs and originality if they're executed well, but some aspects of the Marlins set are very un-baseball like.

6 minutes ago, daveindc said:

Welp.

Here's a couple videos to give you an idea:

I love open air baseball as much as anyone and think that South Florida fans should suck it up a little and tolerate games with the roof open beyond April, but I was really horrified by how terrible those shadows were while watching this afternoon's game. If Jeter won't listen, MLB needs to intervene because playing a game under those conditions is probably a safety issue.

Unfortunately, either through a design flaw or having to do the best they could on parcel of land leftover from the Orange Bowl, Marlins Park's architecture is really not favorable for day games. The retracted roof segments over the west plaza are just too prominent and loom too much over the field for natural sunlight to cover the field. If they insist on having the roof open for day games early in the season, perhaps they should consider experimenting with 11am start times. I believe those are permitted, although players would probably hate it. Unfortunately day games won't work well with the stadium architecture unless it's really cloudy outside.

1 minute ago, Gothamite said:

Yeah, suck it up, Nationals.  I hate Miller Park with a passion in no small part because of the shadows, but shadows are part of the deal. 

It’s like a right-handed pull hitter complaining to the Pirates that their left-field fence is too far away. 

Apparently Marlins players also complained, looking at the tweet.

2 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Yeah, suck it up, Nationals.  I hate Miller Park with a passion in no small part because of the shadows, but shadows are part of the deal. 

It’s like a right-handed pull hitter complaining to the Pirates that their left-field fence is too far away. 

These shadows are infinitely worse than what you encounter at open air parks. They were so bad that many of the TV images came out wacky looking due to the contrast. So much was either under or overexposed.

20 minutes ago, Marlins93 said:

These shadows are infinitely worse than what you encounter at open air parks. They were so bad that many of the TV images came out wacky looking due to the contrast. So much was either under or overexposed.

Shadows can’t be any worse than Miller Park, where that happens quite regularly. 

shadows.jpgspacer.png

The shadows are so much worse because when the roof is fully retracted, it still protrudes out so prominently over the 1st base side of the field. The fact that it's the westward facing direction doesn't help, either. The problem with Marlins Park is that even when playing under open air conditions, you still feel pretty enclosed. Arizona and Houston have much better designs to mitigate shadows.

Marlins-Park-02.jpg

5 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Shadows can’t be any worse than Miller Park, where that happens quite regularly. 

shadows.jpg

While I am admittedly uncertain, that photograph seems to indicate a closed roof but the sun is at a precise angle where it is shining directly through the windows and casting a beam on the field. Miller Park's roof retracts further back (it bifurcates) than the one at Marlins Park, so I think they would have less issues with 1pm starts.

I've been to every retractable roof park in MLB and I would definitely say that the Marlins have the worst shadow problems from my observations. SkyDome and Miller Park are tied for second.

29 minutes ago, Marlins93 said:

While I am admittedly uncertain, that photograph seems to indicate a closed roof but the sun is at a precise angle where it is shining directly through the windows and casting a beam on the field. Miller Park's roof retracts further back (it bifurcates) than the one at Marlins Park, so I think they would have less issues with 1pm starts.

I've been to every retractable roof park in MLB and I would definitely say that the Marlins have the worst shadow problems from my observations. SkyDome and Miller Park are tied for second.

Nope.  Miller Park has these horrible shadows even when the roof is open. 

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

It’s a truly awful design, and as you can see from this photos the roof never actually opens wide enough to stop looming over the action.  

Personally, if I was a player I would hate to play there for this reason.  But it is what it is, so suck it up and stop complaining. 

Well the roof is clearly not even close to being fully retracted in that last picture (I have no idea why that's the case) for one, which is probably exacerbating the problems. Hard to tell in the first two. If you look at other Miller Park photos you will see that the roof, at least at one point, is indeed capable of opening even more. I wonder if the Brewers have some reason for this. Don't get me wrong, the park definitely has design flaws, but I'd gladly take that roof over the Marlins'.

6 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Nope.  Miller Park has these horrible shadows even when the roof is open. 

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

It’s a truly awful design, and as you can see from this photos the roof never actually opens wide enough to stop looming over the action.  

Personally, if I was a player I would hate to play there for this reason.  But it is what it is, so suck it up and stop complaining. 

A - I think the point was that certain of the shadows (first photo) are due to the windows and have nothing to do with the roof.

B - the first two panels on the first base side are typically left closed as in your third photo to minimize pitcher/batter shadows.

It's where I sit.

Archived