Miami Marlins 2019 Rebrand

SilverBullet1929

This may have been brought up

I love some of the hat club customs. spacer.png

Not sure how they could handle the white outline. Black would look odd too. That's the only thing slightly off. I just love that color. That cap with a light grey road set with possible pinstripes is all you need. Ditch black at almost all costs. Accents only. 

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, dont care said:

It looks perfectly fine with the white outline

I have to strongly disagree. The problem is that there's just too many layers/zones of color at play here between the black, blue, red, white, and blue (again) that the eye has to wrestle with. But somehow the white really manages to pop out here and clutter everything up. In other words the white outline is the first thing I notice when I look at the cap and that's not how it's supposed to be. It's too noisy.

Now I'm not saying it would work any better without the white outline, either. The problem is inherently within the design of the logo itself. It simply doesn't work well when set against most background colors too well. I would attribute that to the two layers of thin red/blue accents.

I've always thought their best option would be to have a blue bill if they are going to stick with that logo.

7 minutes ago, Marlins93 said:

That's much better than the other one! I just don't think that logo looks good on backgrounds other than black.

These are the things a designer needs to take into account when producing a design, especially when considering the potential prevalence of the bold colors in print and online branding.

1 hour ago, Brandon9485 said:

I don’t see why the white outline needs to be on the blue cap. Taking the white out would make a huge difference 

Presumably because of the M is primarily outlined in blue on the right and the entire fish.  The blue outline of the logo gets lost with the logo directly on the blue.

42 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Presumably because of the M is primarily outlined in blue on the right and the entire fish.  The blue outline of the logo gets lost with the logo directly on the blue.

spacer.png

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

6 minutes ago, THRILLHO said:

I think at some point the team should utilize a blue M with red shadow sans marlin.  Sometimes simple caps are the best

spacer.png

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

@Survival79 better quality pic there. I should have pointed out that the picture I posted is a link to the marlins board where I shared that.  On that board I credited this board for the picture so I apologize for the accidental circular plagiarism if there is such a thing.  

I really can't fathom how that the version on the blue background without the white outline is remotely acceptable. Several parts of the logo are washed out entirely by the blue fill! In other words, there are noticeable erasures of the blue accenting and parts of the fish. Parts of the logo are "missing" entirely. It could maybe work if the red accent fully enveloped the M to get rid of those open spaces.

As @SFGiants58 suggests, it's almost like the designer either didn't take a blue background into consideration or always assumed it would be bordered by white.

4 hours ago, Survival79 said:

spacer.png

Somehow, I don’t think removing the Marlin improves it. If anything, the fish distracts from the terrible upper-left/lower-right corners that push the letter into a half-cursive, half-flared serif mess.

The font, from an engineering and aesthetic standpoint, is my least favorite part of the redesign.

That M is not designed well enough to stand alone. The bizarre corners, the arbitrary rightward lean making it look like it's on the verge of toppling over, and the unremarkable font. As much as I disliked the 2012-2018 branding, at least the Art Deco looking font had some connection to the city's aesthetic culture.

I wholeheartedly agree with @SFGiants58 when he says that the font (in both the cap insignia and wordmark) are the most offensive parts of the rebranding. They might even bother me more than the excessive usage of black.

The fish sans-M is actually quite nice (although it would benefit from having some more blue) and should definitely be the primary cap insignia going forward. To me that fix is a no-brainer if they intend on sticking with existing design elements before coming up with something better down the road.

By the way, this weekend's sweep of the Phillies was so incredibly fun to watch. I'm delighted that the uniforms, not the team's play, are now the ugliest thing out on the field!

Liked the concept above without the outline. Tried it out with an ocean blue and coral instead of blue and red. 

Also tried out the OG colors as well: 

Untitled.png

Or, if they just want to avoid being the next Padres all-together, just go back to the colors that the fans loved to begin with:

Untitled-2.png

Archived