Miami Marlins 2019 Rebrand

SilverBullet1929

On 6/20/2019 at 8:32 PM, MattMill said:

This may have been brought up

I love some of the hat club customs. spacer.png

Not sure how they could handle the white outline. Black would look odd too. That's the only thing slightly off. I just love that color. That cap with a light grey road set with possible pinstripes is all you need. Ditch black at almost all costs. Accents only. 

I have that hat.  The blue isn’t the same blue as what they use for the official team colors though.  I think New Era took leftover players weekend stock from last year and slapped the new logo on it 

https://www.fanatics.com/miami-marlins-new-era-2018-players-weekend-low-profile-59fifty-fitted-hat-blue/black/p-25886548251446+z-9065-2733253000

it’s a nice hat and all. Just the color isn’t quite right 

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just thinking out loud here. 

Here's a HC design that has some potential IMHO. 

What about a marlin-less cap logo? Get MIA all together in neon lights?

spacer.png

Get rid of palm trees/circle globe design, and maybe spread out MIA a tad more. 

The lines appear nearly the same as the prior Marlins logo. A broken apart M logo from the prior era. 

That would scream timeless to me

Not sure a one color single letter M would have the same potential as MI or even MIA. 

The M has a road tire tread vibe but I think there is something about the simplicity working here. 

To the same extent, I'm liking the thicker simpler threading here on this heat hat

spacer.png

Both of those scream NEON more than the masterfully designed M with dropshadow and  eyeless Marlin. The cap logo is already dated to me. I won't be adding it to my collection. 

The execution of the redesign is horrible. I like the idea of playing into the neon motif of Miami's nightlife, but as mentioned, there needs to be more to putting vibrant colors on black backgrounds. The Miami Heat cap above my post is a good starting point to mimic that neon lights motif. I just don't know how it would be perceived overall in the branding though. I like it as a gimmick for sure. 

41 minutes ago, Pengin. said:

The execution of the redesign is horrible. I like the idea of playing into the neon motif of Miami's nightlife, but as mentioned, there needs to be more to putting vibrant colors on black backgrounds. The Miami Heat cap above my post is a good starting point to mimic that neon lights motif. I just don't know how it would be perceived overall in the branding though. I like it as a gimmick for sure. 

I just wish they would go in a different direction entirely. Either a 90s throwback or something else. I prefer a brand concept that stands on its own rather than something so reliant on Miami cliches, such as the nightlife scene or the Vice aesthetic.

I attended a game against the Cardinals at Busch last week and the logo looks absolutely fantastic on a humongous super HD scoreboard. I wasn't thrilled with the logo when it was released, but it looks darn good when presented that way.  I tried to take a picture of it on my phone but it didn't do it justice.  The problem, however, is that it just doesn't translate on the caps and jerseys, which is where it's the most important.  The colors blend in and are overpowered by the black and you just can't see them well enough.  I still think there is potential if they would take a little more time and work out the kinks.

spacer.png                                                    Chicago_White_Sox.svg

On 5/9/2019 at 9:15 AM, Gothamite said:

Maybe they just want to preserve the option of wearing it in a game?  I really don't know how MLB rules work.

I thought baseball didn’t really have any rules regarding alts. They can be worn whenever as long as you don’t have color clashes. 

8 hours ago, Quillz said:

I thought baseball didn’t really have any rules regarding alts. They can be worn whenever as long as you don’t have color clashes. 

That’s true, but I’m pretty sure that there is a rule about uniforms needing to be designated as uniforms.  Teams can’t just wear promotional T-shirts with numbers on the back.  

Jerseys need to be submitted to and approved by the commissioner’s office before they can appear in a game, and I don’t know if BP jerseys qualify.  I suspect they don’t automatically, or more teams would wear them in games. 

1. Watching the game last night, and again even in 1080P you can't make out the numbers or logo on the black jersey.  It's a disgrace and should never have been allowed.

2.  The term "owner" may be phased out as far as team management goes, but it certainly applies on the field, as the Marlins absolutely own the Phillies.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 6/29/2019 at 11:17 AM, BringBackTheVet said:

1. Watching the game last night, and again even in 1080P you can't make out the numbers or logo on the black jersey.  It's a disgrace and should never have been allowed.

This seems a bit too dramatic.  You mean to tell me in game graphics, scoreboards, and general knowledge of what people look like aren’t enough to identity players?

You’d think players and teams always had names and numbers. 

gehrig-ruth-bettmann-corbis2.jpg?itok=qI

The point is that if your jersey has a wordmark, number, and player names that are illegible even on high definition television, what's the point of having them at all? They might as well wear something as stripped down as the original Yankees uniforms because the black alternate looks like a solid black jersey top anyway unless there's a close up camera angle.

I too am completely perplexed why MLB thought that jersey was acceptable to be worn on the field. A design concept like that should have been kept in the realm of off-field "fashion" jerseys where it rightfully belongs.

32 minutes ago, THRILLHO said:

Be that as it may.  It isn’t “disgraceful”.

I don't like getting bogged down with semantics. But it isn't out of line to say that the black alternate is perhaps the worst jersey presently in a MLB team's regular rotation due to its frustrating illegibility.

3 hours ago, THRILLHO said:

This seems a bit too dramatic.  You mean to tell me in game graphics, scoreboards, and general knowledge of what people look like aren’t enough to identity players?

By that logic, a lousy car Can’t be complained about because it’s still better than a horse. 

Not it everyone has general knowledge of every MLB. player, especially the Marlins. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

By that logic, a lousy car Can’t be complained about because it’s still better than a horse. 

Not it everyone has general knowledge of every MLB. player, especially the Marlins. 

I think most people can turn on a tv without much knowledge of a team and figure out who is pitching and hitting, who makes the plays in the field etc.  

So I caught some ESPN highlights of the Phillies-Marlins game and something I never noticed before: the Marlins logo is completely invisible on the score bug. It's basically just a black square with a tiny sliver of dark aqua or teal. That logo really needs a white keyline.

I like the design of the logo in of itself but the execution is so poor. Did no one bother to see if the logo is legible when displayed at a tiny size on TV? Compounded with all the other problems. I know some teams like the Carolina Panthers also don't use white keylines, but those logos are different in that they are very legible even at smaller sizes.

12 hours ago, THRILLHO said:

I see the confusion. The Marlins rebrand came out in 2019, not 1919. Subtle but important difference.

17 hours ago, THRILLHO said:

I think most people can turn on a tv without much knowledge of a team and figure out who is pitching and hitting, who makes the plays in the field etc.  

Then I’m dumber than most people, because until the announcers eventually made reference to their pitcher, I hadn’t no idea who it was

other than he was

an Asian guy. Couldn’t read numbers or name. 

To add to what Vet is saying...

You’re really barking up the wrong tree when your only defence of a uniform that fails in one of its most basic functions is “who says it needs to do that basic function, hmm?” 

If spectators literally cannot read the names or numbers then the design is fundamentally broken. 

Archived