Miami Marlins 2019 Rebrand

SilverBullet1929

1 hour ago, Marlins93 said:

They are just too plain. The wordmark is too black. And is the shade of blue in the pinstripes even the same in the accenting? Maybe it's an illusion but they look different.

Also, wouldn't the concept on the left look much better if the wordmark were solid blue and the number were mostly black? Then again, it doesn't seem likely that we get any kind of wordmark with color outside of the accenting.

These are just a friend of mine throwing ideas together in his down time as a way to visualize some guesses. A lot of it is random ideas to see what looks good and what doesn't. It's just for fun and the final product could be some of these ideas or all of them or none of them. Nobody knows yet. 

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Which is why many teams, from the Red Sox to Rockies to Brewers, are adopting their cap logos as primary logos.  The more-complicated versions just aren’t as necessary as they once were.  In this era of phone screens and social media, simpler and smaller logos are more important.

1 hour ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

While I think it's best for teams to go in that direction, it's still a shame that'd we have to see some of the better primaries go away. The Yankees and Mets are some of my favorites, with the Uncle Sam hat on a bat and the city skyline in a baseball.

Those logos won't go away.  They just might not be at the top of their Wikipedia entries.  :D 

15 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

These are just a friend of mine throwing ideas together in his down time as a way to visualize some guesses. A lot of it is random ideas to see what looks good and what doesn't. It's just for fun and the final product could be some of these ideas or all of them or none of them. Nobody knows yet. 

I figured as much. I'm offering my critiques because I suspect that the final product will be some variation of those concepts.

The pinstriped one isn't bad, but I'd rather the wordmark be blue and the stripes be black.  Number can stay black.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

6 minutes ago, seasaltvanilla said:

Also the M just stops where the marlin overlaps. So when you compare the logo with the wordmark it looks like the top left point just got chopped off. 

I actually love that. I thought the top left point of the M was not good because it was way higher and more erect than the right side but now, when the fish isn't there, we see that the top of the M is actually normal and the high point was only the top fin of the fish. I think that's one of those "little things/quirks that you love" that gets posted in a thread on a forum like ours. Its perfect to me. 

21 hours ago, jp1409 said:

Feels like a cliché Miami fictionnal team in a movie... Also the pointy M doesn't go along the rounded "iami" at all. It looks cheap as :censored:...

I said the same thing on another forum - the serif, more blocky/pointy M doesn't fit with the curved, sans serif "iami", and the first "i" not having a tail looks odd - it looks disconnected from the M.

10 hours ago, Marlins93 said:

It's definitely not pink. And I still don't understand why some people were eager for pink to begin with.

They are definitely similar in some ways, but the executions deviate quite a bit. In the Miami script, the odd transition between the first and second characters is far too glaring.

Pink and a light blue is the typical Miami Vice (and therefore Miami) look, that's why we were suspecting it may be pink.

I'm from South Florida and am baffled by this recent obsession with Miami Vice. The color in the logo borders on pink, but isn't.

Overall, I don't see anything "Miami" in the new look. It just looks like clip art from 1998 with the monochrome color scheme and generic cursive in the wordmark.

3 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

I like it. The marlin could use an eye, but it's not a total dealbreaker. Hopefully there's a "Marlins" script to match the "Miami" one.

If the logo is gonna be predominantly black, this begs for a white panel cap.  A black logo on a black hat will be dreadful.

6 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

With the baseball open-ended, this is what it would look like on other colors....

img%5D

giphy.gif

If the baseball wasn’t there the rest could maybe get away with it, but those laces absolutely have to be against white. 

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

There's no way there's not a white keyline around the whole thing (and filling in the ball) when on colored backgrounds.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

22 hours ago, jp1409 said:

I never tought I'd say that one day but l prefer the current look...

rG30ved_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

For me this evokes what is probably the worst possible emotions and the last thing a designer would want to hear.

Apathy and indifference. Too dark, subdued. Maybe they thought the neon-ish accents of the blue and red would bring it to life a bit...but it doesn't

Almost reminds me of the baseball players on the outside of Shea 

a3293cac992bdefed1007de92ac77cca.jpg

53 minutes ago, joey joe joe jr. shabadoo said:

For me this evokes what is probably the worst possible emotions and the last thing a designer would want to hear.

Apathy and indifference. Too dark, subdued. Maybe they thought the neon-ish accents of the blue and red would bring it to life a bit...but it doesn't

Almost reminds me of the baseball players on the outside of Shea 

a3293cac992bdefed1007de92ac77cca.jpg

Wow.  I could not disagree more.  

Nor do I agree that the neon figures on the side of Shea could ever inspire “apathy and indifference.”  Your comparison is apt, which is why I’m coming around on this design.  

I think the number of pages this thread has grown since the leak proves that there's anything but apathy and indifference.

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

Nope. 

Shouldn’t be too long, though.  Baseball is lucky that teams can unveil new looks between the end of the season and the holiday shopping rush. 

Thanks buddy, looking forward to it. 

I wonder if there is any chance whatsoever for a teal alternate? Probably not.

Jaguars

Archived