Miami Marlins 2019 Rebrand

SilverBullet1929

4 hours ago, Ray Lankford said:

The entire back is black, the front number is black, the hat is black and the undershirts and socks are black. At best it's 75/25 black and teal.

If anything, the secret to its success is the limited use of teal. 

i always felt like they were pretty teal-heavy in the 90's..1996-bowman-b.jpg

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I coulda sworn the pinstripes were black in '03, but I guess not.  Not sure why I thought that team was more black (uniform wise) than they were.  Either way, I remember them having a good balance.

Not sure if I like the teal jerseys better with the black wordmark or the original silver.

One thing is for sure - the all-teal hat was just too much.  The black brim was better, but all-black was best.

1993FLA_original.jpg?1302379466 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

19 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I coulda sworn the pinstripes were black in '03, but I guess not.  Not sure why I thought that team was more black (uniform wise) than they were.  Either way, I remember them having a good balance.

The pinstripes were black in 2003, they switched over from teal that season. They definitely were primarily a black team at that point, the perception of which was further exacerbated by the fact they were constantly wearing their black alternates to the point where they clinched the World Series in them.

r66991_2188x2786cc.jpg

I pretty much only think of the early to mid 2000s Marlins as primarily black because of this. (The same phenomenon has occurred with the LeBron era Heat).

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

14 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Im pretty sure they were black thru the years they wore Russell Athletic branded unis. not sure when the cutoff was. I had one for some time and they were black on my replica.  I found this pic of Beckett

xl_9781597166393_fc.jpg

Wow, I'm all sorts of messed up.  I thought they still had the teal wordmark in '03.

Was there ever a time where the wordmark was teal and the pinstripes black?  If not, there should have been.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Wow, I'm all sorts of messed up.  I thought they still had the teal wordmark in '03.

Was there ever a time where the wordmark was teal and the pinstripes black?  If not, there should have been.

1997. During their first World Series run. 

5 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

1997. During their first World Series run. 

This is not correct.

Loria's first season owning the team was 2002, which was the last season they wore uniforms with teal wordmark and pinstripes. He was no fan of teal and gave them a soft rebranding for 2003. That is when you first see the black pinstripes and reduced teal on the home wordmark. In fact, it's not even the same shade of teal at that point! It's something else. Also, from 2003 until 2011, orange was routinely used for marketing purposes so it seemed inevitable that it would be a dominant color for the 2012 season.

Black has always been a part of the Marlins identity, but I think that it's inaccurate to say that black was dominant at any point from 1993 to 2002.

13 minutes ago, Marlins93 said:

This is not correct.

I stand corrected. I thought the pinstripes had changed to black by 1996. 

13 minutes ago, Marlins93 said:

Loria's first season owning the team was 2002, which was the last season they wore uniforms with teal wordmark and pinstripes. He was no fan of teal and gave them a soft rebranding for 2003. That is when you first see the black pinstripes and reduced teal on the home wordmark. In fact, it's not even the same shade of teal at that point! It's something else. Also, from 2003 until 2011, orange was routinely used for marketing purposes so it seemed inevitable that it would be a dominant color for the 2012 season.

And that’s why I don’t really long for a return to teal for the Marlins. Sure, it was technically in their colour scheme until 2012, but they had morphed into a black, silver, and white White Sox clone by 2003. The Marlins hadn’t truly been a teal team for nine seasons when they changed to their current look. They didn’t replace teal, they replaced the wanna-be White Sox black, silver, and white look. 

So given that? The Marlins haven’t truly been a teal team for sixteen years. They’ve either had it significantly downgraded to the point where it was barely visible/used or gone all together for longer than it was a prominent team colour. 

We’re not talking about the San Jose Sharks or Charlotte/New Orleans/OKC/Charlotte Hornets who have always used some shade of the colour or another as their primary. The Marlins effectively abandoned teal in 2003. 

So I see no pressing reason to return to it. It would be one thing if their kept their 1997 WS look more or less intact, but they didn’t. And then they won another looking like the White Sox. So who knows? 

2 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

And that’s why I don’t really long for a return to teal for the Marlins. Sure, it was technically in their colour scheme until 2012, but they had morphed into a black, silver, and white White Sox clone by 2003. The Marlins hadn’t truly been a teal team for nine seasons when they changed to their current look. They didn’t replace teal, they replaced the wanna-be White Sox black, silver, and white look. 

So given that? The Marlins haven’t truly been a teal team for sixteen years. They’ve either had it significantly downgraded to the point where it was barely visible/used or gone all together for longer than it was a prominent team colour. 

We’re not talking about the San Jose Sharks or Charlotte/New Orleans/OKC/Charlotte Hornets who have always used some shade of the colour or another as their primary. The Marlins effectively abandoned teal in 2003. 

So I see no pressing reason to return to it. It would be one thing if their kept their 1997 WS look more or less intact, but they didn’t. And then they won another looking like the White Sox. So who knows? 

I see where you're coming from. Teal had definitely been marginalized from 2003 until 2011 (before the 2012 rebranding) by Loria, but I still sense that fans embraced teal as the franchise's identity during those years. I don't think we saw the team as truly adopting the White Sox look even though that's what they were wearing on the field. You would still see plenty of teal hats, jerseys, and shirts around the stadium.

So, yes, perhaps teal had fallen to the wayside, but for all 19 seasons I do contend that fans saw the Marlins as being teal first, black second.

1 hour ago, Ice_Cap said:

I would go so far as to suggest that some of the rationale behind the more black/white look may have been function-driven as much as anything.. Silver/white wordmarks are easier to see than teal on a black jersey, and black is easier to see than teal on a white/grey jersey..

Depending on the photo/lighting, the teal was more prominent in the identity and overall look.. I get that Loria wasn't a big fan of it, and may have actively tried to minimize it, but we see same with the Jaguars' ownership, but that doesn't make the team any less teal (especially in terms of public perception, rather than photo comparisons)..

And given this image of (what I think is) the official team plaque, it would seem as though they still understood that they were truly a teal team, even after the '03 WS run..03marlins.jpg

22 hours ago, Teal said:

Thank you. 

It'll likely depend on the World Series, though - depending on how many games it goes, which is why nothing has been announced.

Also, for what it's worth, All exterior signs at Marlins Park displaying the current logo have been removed. Interior logos, and the Marlins Park logo on the roof remain intact for now, though.

2N78dKa.jpg

Ahg0IhZ.jpg

EDIT: For those that don't know, this is that same structure in the top picture just 2 weeks ago with the current logo and signage:

KF6ZUWd.png

Just wanted to add something about the Marlins teal that a lot of people don't realize until its told to them but... the Marlins have never, ever, not even once, worn an all teal jersey in a regular season or playoff game. Those classic pics of teal jerseys were all BP/spring training jerseys. Those jerseys became popular for trading cards and I think that has thrown people off. 

6 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Just wanted to add something about the Marlins teal that a lot of people don't realize until its told to them but... the Marlins have never, ever, not even once, worn an all teal jersey in a regular season or playoff game. Those classic pics of teal jerseys were all BP/spring training jerseys. Those jerseys became popular for trading cards and I think that has thrown people off. 

They are also the most commonly worn throwback jerseys. I see people rocking them at Marlins Park all the time. I just wish Mitchell & Ness made a version that had someone other than Andre Dawson on the back nameplate (or completely blank).

5 hours ago, WavePunter said:

I would go so far as to suggest that some of the rationale behind the more black/white look may have been function-driven as much as anything.. Silver/white wordmarks are easier to see than teal on a black jersey, and black is easier to see than teal on a white/grey jersey..

Depending on the photo/lighting, the teal was more prominent in the identity and overall look.. I get that Loria wasn't a big fan of it, and may have actively tried to minimize it, but we see same with the Jaguars' ownership, but that doesn't make the team any less teal (especially in terms of public perception, rather than photo comparisons)..

And given this image of (what I think is) the official team plaque, it would seem as though they still understood that they were truly a teal team, even after the '03 WS run..

Who says they needed a black jersey? You say the white/silver was simple a practical choice, but they could have easily gone with a teal jersey if they wanted a coloured alternate. That they chose black at all, and then chose to severely downplay teal, speaks to their intentions regarding the colour circa 2003. 

As to the teal standing out in some cases? Sorry, we’re talking about a look that was debuted in the pre-HD era. 

Sure, the thin teal accents pop out at you when the light hits it in the right way in professionally taken photographs. 

To most people watching the team on tv, however? That teal was practically non-existent. 

Those two points are what separate the 2003-2012 Marlins from the present-day Jags. 

Sure, the Jags are using black as their primary, but they still have a teal alternate and teal pants. Teal has far more presence in the Jags’ current brand than it had in the Marlins’ 2003-2012 look. 

As for the 2003 WS plaque? Eh, it was year one of the soft rebrand, where teal was de-emphasized in favour of black. The team was very quick to downplay black whenever they could, right up until the 2012 redesign.

Using one plaque from 2003 to suggest the ‘03-‘12 Marlins were a “teal” team seems like a rather selective use of evidence. 

7 hours ago, Marlins93 said:

I see where you're coming from. Teal had definitely been marginalized from 2003 until 2011 (before the 2012 rebranding) by Loria, but I still sense that fans embraced teal as the franchise's identity during those years. I don't think we saw the team as truly adopting the White Sox look even though that's what they were wearing on the field. You would still see plenty of teal hats, jerseys, and shirts around the stadium.

So, yes, perhaps teal had fallen to the wayside, but for all 19 seasons I do contend that fans saw the Marlins as being teal first, black second.

I’m legitimately curious. How prevalent has teal gear been since they dropped all pretences in 2012? 

Regarding the fans? I understand that teal remained popular, but I’m just saying the inaugural identity was so chipped away at by 2012 that I feel it’s disingenuous to say the 2012-2018 look replaced it. 

I will say that an updated take on the 1997 WS look, with the alternate wordmark @Gothamite posted, would be totally fine in my book. 

I’m just a fan of the 2012-2018 look as well, and I think it’s unfair to compare it to a teal-heavy identity it never actually butt up against. 

Also I’ll say that “Miami Marlins” is a much better name than “Florida Marlins.” 

A return to teal would be fine, but I would rather they not revert to their previous name. 

16 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Unfortunately.

Archived