Miami Marlins 2019 Rebrand

SilverBullet1929

Why does the Marlins text look blue with a white and red outline in the small picture of the black alternate? Must be the lighting?

GnSc0Pv.jpg

quQfu9o.png

Also, I think it would be interesting to see the white keyline that's used on the blue alternate used on the other jerseys and cap. Maybe white baseballs in all logos too?

KJQ66PG.jpg

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The addiction to black really limits this design. Why not build this set around the blue? I'm not from there, but when I think of Miami I picture bright and vivid colors.

The blue is bright and vivid. The black is dour.

All in all, these are fine. Could've been better, but not bad.

(Can we please refrain from using BFBS when black is a primary team color? Say what you want about these, but it isn't BFBS. I have a beef with that term anyway since black is a design choice, but that's another debate for another day.)

I've never been so divided in my own brain about a rebrand.

Colors are great. And I like the M logo. And the number typeface is a significant upgrade from the all-color slab serifs.

But the primary mark looks amateur hour. The scripts don't work for me and I think this color treatment on something closer to the 1950s script would've worked wonders, or even give it a tilt on the jerseys. And those jerseys (save the black one) desperately need piping, as most baseball jerseys do. 

Not as bad as the Art Deco era, but similar in that I'm seeing good ideas go to waste in a larger poorly executed set. Metaphor for the on-field product of recent Marlins teams I guess.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

I personally dig this quite a bit.  The home look is very strong, and if anything I feel like the Miami script across the chest should be bigger, bolder.  Same with the admittedly half-interesting numerals.

Road grays are alright, but there's very few road looks in MLB that look good (IMHO). 

The main weakness is the blue alt.  It needs, and I mean needs red in there.  Whether it's some kind of loud sleeve patch, a chest stripe, or as part of the chest emblem, it's lacking. 

Otherwise this is good.  Well done, Marlins.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

My take...

I love the logos and the color scheme. Amazing.

I love the cap though I'd love one with more blue but I'm confident that will come eventually. The next time they do minor tweaks I'm sure fans will have begged for it enough. We also have things like spring training and players weekend caps that get those color tweaks every so often plus I'm sure the team store will sell fashion caps in other colors including the blue.

I like the jerseys but I'm underwhelmed by them. I think people's fears of them being too plain and too dark came true. They need a little more pop, a little more something and I would love to change a few things about them. They are clean looking and solid and pretty traditional which isn't bad but I think they went bold with the logos yet played it too safe with the jerseys. Again I'm looking forward to tweaks down the line.

My favorite part of the jerseys is the sleeve patch... which is only on the $250 authentic but not on the $100 replica! That's a major issue for me. Might really not buy a jersey for a while. I'd buy 10 shirts with the sleeve patch design in the center before buying a jersey without it. Major dilemma. Without the patch there's no fish at all, that's killing me. 

In general right now I'll be purchasing caps and plenty of tshirts to show off what I love, the colors and logos, but I'm very hesitant about the jerseys. They just don't wow me enough like everything else does. It's possible that in person that will change but I'm afraid I see someone walking down the street with this and it just looks black. The trim isn't vibrant enough. 

15 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

See here it all pops and looks great. This whole look depends so much on the execution and the setting...

I don't think it really changes much for me there. I hardly even notice the accent colors on the white jersey.

Way too much black. I have no idea what they were thinking.

3 minutes ago, Marlins93 said:

Way too much black. I have no idea what they were thinking.

Hate to beat a dead horse but I predicted what they were thinking and all their verbiage from yesterday proved me right... they're thinking everything needs to represent Miami nightlife, black based with vibrant colors as neon trim. It was in their press release. This is why the wordmarks "have to be black" in their eyes.

That's the theme, whether it was executed right is being debated but what they were thinking is clear. 

This is so close to looking great. The Marlins wanted a home run, instead they gave us a double. 

Home: Should say Marlins, not Miami. Looks nice though besides that.

Away: Honestly, I really like this one. Now, please..... wear the damned thing. 

Black: Wasn't sure about it at 1st, but now that I see what they were going for, I do like it. 

Blue: The true miss of the set. Should have a script on it, should be paired with a blue brimmed or crowned hat & should be the main alternate worn (you just know that this guy wil barely see the light of day, just you watch!). 

Cap: It's alright, wish it wasn't the only option though. 

I just hope that they add a blue hat & undershirts down the road for the look..... cause they're so close here! 

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

1 minute ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Hate to beat a dead horse but I predicted what they were thinking and all their verbiage from yesterday proved me right... they're thinking everything needs to represent Miami nightlife, black based with vibrant colors as neon trim. It was in their press release. That's the theme, whether it was executed right is being debated but what they were thinking is clear. 

I didn't read the press release but their "ourcolores" campaign had nothing to do with nightlife. Sounds like a street art theme would have been a much better approach.

So, yes, they probably are going for nightlife kind of a thing, but it sure did produce some incredibly bland jerseys. The hat pops a little, I admit, but the home white does not at all. They even managed to make an all blue alternate look dull.

13 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

On the simplicity of the jerseys I think they were clearly going in the mold of these but the difference is the collar piping.

D6FD04AF-E5DA-4DE1-B6F8-9B3A74E455C3.thumb.jpeg.6644f62ff50942b1d4a3a0b668c595a6.jpeg

I think the main difference is the thickness of the letters and the outlines.  In the Pitt jersey, it's a good balance and you can clearly see the gold.  But I agree that piping on the collar would help, too.

Jeter said the Marlins considering back the old teal colors after fans voiced a preference for the team’s original colors.

“We thought about it but we wanted to move forward as an organization and not necessarily look back,” Jeter said. “We know how special it is. There’s a lot of winning history with those colors. But we wanted to move forward.”

He also said the teal would still be available in retail options. 

33 minutes ago, KittSmith_95 said:

This is so close to looking great. The Marlins wanted a home run, instead they gave us a double. 

Home: Should say Marlins, not Miami. Looks nice though besides that.

Away: Honestly, I really like this one. Now, please..... wear the damned thing. 

Black: Wasn't sure about it at 1st, but now that I see what they were going for, I do like it. 

Blue: The true miss of the set. Should have a script on it, should be paired with a blue brimmed or crowned hat & should be the main alternate worn (you just know that this guy wil barely see the light of day, just you watch!). 

Cap: It's alright, wish it wasn't the only option though. 

I just hope that they add a blue hat & undershirts down the road for the look..... cause they're so close here! 

I'm sure there will be a blue cap at some point - even if not used on-field, which works for me as someone buying the merchandise.

---

I'm guessing the whites are the primary home jersey, black will be used on Saturdays (because Miami nightlife), blues on Sunday home games.

Archived