Miami Marlins 2019 Rebrand

SilverBullet1929

1 minute ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Many people would also call that lazy and taking the easy way out. To say it's the correct move and would have been universally applauded is debatable. 

Or banking off of nostalgia, trying to distract fans from the real problems facing a rebuilding team and a new ownership group. Some would say "return to form," I'd say "pandering."

Heck, the teal-heavy look's criticism is often lost in the history of the '93-'02/'03-'11 identity. Too much of that bright teal proved to be a problem for some. If the team had to bring back the set full-time, they'd go with the black caps and accessories of the 1997-'03 variant. While the teal may be a "quintessential" Miami (or South Florida suburbs, if we're being honest) color, it just doesn't work with the whole "neon colors among Miami's nights" theme. I think the latter is far more compelling than the former, when done correctly (which it sort of was with this redesign). 

Also, that "Marlins" wordmark from '93-'11 is a typographic trash heap. @Gothamite has pointed out its flaws repeatedly and I agree that it should be left in the past. 

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Many people would also call that lazy and taking the easy way out. To say it's the correct move and would have been universally applauded is debatable. 

Delving into one's own history in order to reclaim a classic look is not "lazy".  The Mets restored their uniforms after decades of misguided alterations. The Phillies brought back an older design. The Braves reached all the way to the Milwaukee and Boston days in order to reactivate the tomahawk uniforms. 

26 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Or banking off of nostalgia, trying to distract fans from the real problems facing a rebuilding team and a new ownership group. Some would say "return to form," I'd say "pandering."

Of course it would have been pandering.  And it would've worked, by evoking (admittedly unearned) good feelings.

26 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Also, that "Marlins" wordmark from '93-'11 is a typographic trash heap. @Gothamite has pointed out its flaws repeatedly and I agree that it should be left in the past. 

This is not a problem.  They could have done as the Blue Jays and the Charlotte Hornets and the New York Cosmos did: modernise the wordmark, while keeping it continuous with the original. 

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

2 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

how little the Marlins care about baseball traditions

The Marlins are the exact team that should not be traditional. Expansion teams from the 90s pretending they've been around for a century is one of the worst possible design choices that could be made. Of course, I doubt Marlins Man understands this at all.

2 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

They could have done as the Blue Jays and the Charlotte Hornets and the New York Cosmos did: modernise the wordmark, while keeping it continuous with the original. 

No, I don’t think that’s possible with the old wordmark. Not every design can be so adapted to remove the unfortunate fads of its time.

Frankly, I think the whole Florida Marlins thing is best left in the past.  I’d take this new design any day.

3 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Blue jersey -

• I hate hate hate how teams seem to be designing their alts the way BP jerseys used to be.  As others have said, it needs piping or trim or something to make it look like something other than the old-style mesh warmups.
  •   As good as that logo looks on a cap, it just doesn't work as a chest mark.  I don't like the fish jumping away from the player, and I don't think "fancy" logos work in that capacity.  Look at the classic designs that stood the test of time - Yankees, Tigers, 70s-91 Phillies (not that much time, but still), Reds - they were all "simple".  Not counting Cleveland's because I hate mascots on jerseys.
  • I don't care for the black on blue. It's not the worst thing in the world, but if they had the mark available in other colors for different applications, maybe that would work better.
  • Back to bullet 2 - "Marlins" should be the wordmark on this one.  No doubts.

My thoughts exactly. That logo is NOT a chest mark! It just doesn't work.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

I don't know anything about baseball, so excuse me if I broke some cardinal rule of baseball uniforms. Quick and dirty "fix" to add some contrast to the tops with the addition of white outlines. Also tried to make the blue more consistent with the others. 

ryrnIGa.jpg

yausGbJ.jpg

VSdyeHM.jpg

10 minutes ago, patsfan5101 said:

I don't know anything about baseball, so excuse me if I broke some cardinal rule of baseball uniforms. Quick and dirty "fix" to add some contrast to the tops with the addition of white keystrokes. Also tried to make the blue more consistent with the others. 

ryrnIGa.jpg

yausGbJ.jpg

VSdyeHM.jpg

I love this, but one suggestion can u try the black jersey to have blue letters with a white outline for the players names? I was thinking about this idea today. 

12 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

I love this, but one suggestion can u try the black jersey to have blue letters with a white outline for the players names? I was thinking about this idea today. 

I actually like that idea. Let me get at that 

EDIT 

86z52Pm.png

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

Ugh.  Those both look terrible.  

Front nimbers are very, very hard to pull off on jerseys with chest logos instead of wordmarks. Better off just skipping them entirely.

Why do you think this? I think the numbers look fine.

Marlins now have the best black jersey in baseball. It shouldn't work but it does.

I was against the idea of them wearing black alot but if it's going to look that good then I don't mind if they want to wear it alot especially since they messed up the blue jersey.

bSLCtu2.png

6 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Look how nice the black jersey pops in this setting, the numbers seem to glow here and creates that neon nightlife effect. It's so weird how in some settings these jerseys feel so underwhelming and in others they feel so perfect. 

In a multitude of settings, they look phenomenal.

In a number of baseball settings, it's going to be quite a strain to read those black-on-black names.

2 hours ago, patsfan5101 said:

I don't know anything about baseball, so excuse me if I broke some cardinal rule of baseball uniforms. Quick and dirty "fix" to add some contrast to the tops with the addition of white keystrokes. Also tried to make the blue more consistent with the others. 

ryrnIGa.jpg

yausGbJ.jpg

VSdyeHM.jpg

An outline (keyline?) should never enclose drop-shadowed numbers.  There can be one around everything except the shadow, but the shadow shouldn't be part of it.  Kinda impossible when you think of what a shadow is.  If it was a 3d shadow and the outline was the same color as the shadow, then it's ok.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

8 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

I don't know about that. Everywhere I look on social media, people are talking about how great the 90s colors/jerseys were and how much they want some version of them back. This includes people who are content with the newest rebrand.

I think there's only a small minority of Marlins fans who would disappointed with a nostalgic rebrand. And I don't recall anyone accusing the Orioles and Blue Jays as being "lazy" when they simply retooled earlier, but beloved looks.

Jeter wanted to be associated with a new identity, I totally get it, but I genuinely believe that a modern upgrade to what the Marlins wore before Loria became owner would have been even more warmly received.

8 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Maybe, but what if the team got it right the first time? Their original set was perhaps the best? Like other teams that nailed it the first time around, like the Yankees and Cardinals and others. 

This Black neon jersey is nice, no doubt, but the Marlins could have gone back to their first look, teal / pinstripes and still have this black-neon jersey.... it could have been a jersey they could have used 15 times a year.... like the LA Lakers Hollywood nights jersey from a couple of years ago. Which was good in moderation.  Marlins could have done the same thing, called this a Miami nights jersey. And gone back the classic real baseball look of the teal-pinstripes. 

The blue jerseys look like batting practice jerseys. I could live with the rest of the new unis although I could've lived with the 2018 uniforms, so not much to add until I see them on the field. I agree with Marlis93 and skip88, teams going back to traditional uniforms(or some form of them) are not "lazy". There's nothing wrong with what the Mets, Blue Jays, Phillies did. Someone tell me the Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs, Tigers, Cardinals uniforms suck.

Archived