SilverBullet1929

Miami Marlins 2019 Rebrand

Recommended Posts

That's quite shocking. The on-field 5950 is a bit of an eyesore with most of it being flat with the exception of the top half of the fish. It does not cohere well and it's very cheap looking. Like a knock-off. It seems like they are trying too hard to get a relief/sculptural effect but in the end it looks like total garbage.

 

I really want to warm up to the rebrand but I just can't when I see stuff like this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Marlins93 said:

That's quite shocking. The on-field 5950 is a bit of an eyesore with most of it being flat with the exception of the top half of the fish. It does not cohere well and it's very cheap looking. Like a knock-off. It seems like they are trying too hard to get a relief/sculptural effect but in the end it looks like total garbage.

 

I really want to warm up to the rebrand but I just can't when I see stuff like this.

 

I agree with your reaction to the hat.  I do think it was a nice idea conceptually but the execution doesn’t do it for me personally.  Maybe if the ocean blue and caliente red of the M were thicker the negative space idea would work.  Fortunately us fans do have the 3930,option.  I happen to like the rebrand and the more I wear the new stuff the more I like it.

I hope the hat looks better on the players on TV.  We got a glimpse of the away shirt during the AFL all star game but the players had their AFL team hats instead 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Top pic is 5950 and bottom is 3930 with the embroidered M. Anyone having a hard time seeing the difference look at the bottom middle of the M. 

20190110_191209.jpg.9c3177355151e40f272a

20190110_191129.jpg.0f9633ef14e2b02f7ce0

 

Interesting choice. I've never noticed a team using the hat color instead of embroidery, but now I'm going to go back and look. What is it about the 5950 vs. 3930 that would lend itself to that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, CubsFanBudMan said:

What is it about the 5950 vs. 3930 that would lend itself to that?

No clue but it is an interesting question. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/16/2019 at 5:56 AM, THRILLHO said:

 

I have a Side by side 3930 and 5950 but the site isn’t letting me upload attachments 

 

 

The site doesn’t do that anymore. You have to upload them to some free platform like Imgur (or tweet them) and copy/paste that link. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/16/2019 at 7:10 AM, SilverBullet1929 said:

Top pic is 5950 and bottom is 3930 with the embroidered M. Anyone having a hard time seeing the difference look at the bottom middle of the M. 

20190110_191209.jpg.9c3177355151e40f272a

20190110_191129.jpg.0f9633ef14e2b02f7ce0

 

 

The bottom one looks like flat embroidery, not the puff embroidery New Era likes so much. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

 

The bottom one looks like flat embroidery, not the puff embroidery New Era likes so much. 

 

It is flat embroidery.  The upper part of the marlin is the only raised embroidery on the whole logo 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's really odd that they chose to raise the fish in the hat. They shouldn't raise the black at all. Raise the outlines to give it the neon light look they were aiming for in the first place with this rebrand. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/16/2019 at 5:56 AM, THRILLHO said:

I have a Side by side 3930 and 5950 but the site isn’t letting me upload attachments 

 

Maybe this will help.

 

KOLULO4.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

couldn’t the Marlins do ANYTHING RIGHT. Why did they use this ugly,awkward looking red and not a simple pink like the Miami Heat. I feel the Red and the Blue look awkward together

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Pengin. said:

It's really odd that they chose to raise the fish in the hat. They shouldn't raise the black at all. Raise the outlines to give it the neon light look they were aiming for in the first place with this rebrand. 

I'm trying to picture that but I can't imagine it looking any better under the current design concept. If I saw it in real life I could maybe be convinced.

 

Are there any other caps in MLB that so prominently utilize the negative space of the cap material?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Marlins93 said:

Are there any other caps in MLB that so prominently utilize the negative space of the cap material?

 

Not to my knowledge.  Not on-field caps, at least.  Most clubs use logos that contrast with the crown color.  The two notable exceptions - the Brewers and Angels - have always used full stitching, to my knowledge.

 

I like the Marlins using the crown color.  Matte fabric instead of stitching, which always has some shine.  Dropping out the black center of the letter really highlights the neon feel of the logo,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Dropping out the black center of the letter really highlights the neon feel of the logo,

I don't see that, especially looking at the two caps in the side by side photo. In fact, I don't really get a neon vibe from anything in the set. To each his own maybe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just had the thought to look at the Diamondbacks alternate on-field cap. It's kind of an interesting comparison because I think that the blue/green and the red are not too far off from those in the Marlins cap logo, especially if you look at them side by side.

 

The Diamondbacks cap has some negative space but it certainly appears to be embroidered to me and it looks quite nice. In fact, I quite like the cap overall despite not being fond of their jerseys one bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/17/2019 at 11:09 PM, Denver_The_Sinaloa said:

couldn’t the Marlins do ANYTHING RIGHT. Why did they use this ugly,awkward looking red and not a simple pink like the Miami Heat. I feel the Red and the Blue look awkward together

Take it however you want but the press release credits the color choices as representative of some of the flags of the countries represented in South Florida... translation: because red and blue are colors on the Cuban flag as well a few other Caribbean countries like Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/18/2019 at 7:17 AM, Marlins93 said:

I don't see that, especially looking at the two caps in the side by side photo. In fact, I don't really get a neon vibe from anything in the set. To each his own maybe.

I can vouch for a more electric neon vibe in person than in pics though. On both the cap and jerseys, the red and blue side by side has a different effect when seen with the naked eye than it does in photos. They seem to compete with each other in a way that makes them seem brighter that is lost in pics. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/17/2019 at 5:54 PM, Pengin. said:

It's really odd that they chose to raise the fish in the hat. They shouldn't raise the black at all. Raise the outlines to give it the neon light look they were aiming for in the first place with this rebrand. 

If you look at the M alone isn't this what they did? The M is negative space so the blue and red outlines are raised. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

I can vouch for a more electric neon vibe in person than in pics though. On both the cap and jerseys, the red and blue side by side has a different effect when seen with the naked eye than it does in photos. They seem to compete with each other in a way that makes them seem brighter that is lost in pics. 

I'll have to take your word for it until I see a cap in person then. I do think that in the photos the colors on the cap pop better than they do on the jersey wordmarks, so there's that at least. I'm a little skeptical because I think it's pretty difficult to recreate the soft edges of a neon aesthetic with any kind of cap embroidery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

If you look at the M alone isn't this what they did? The M is negative space so the blue and red outlines are raised. 

I think he's saying they don't appear raised relative to the fish. The M has blue/red embroidery that is slightly above the cap material but only ever so slightly that it still looks flat. Whereas the top half of the fish almost looks glued on compared to everything else. Unless this is just an illusion in the photos. Do the outlines on the M have the same depth profile of the fish?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.