Miami Marlins 2019 Rebrand

SilverBullet1929

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having seen (photos of) these in action, I feel like they would be so much better if the blue and pink outlining around the numbers and script were thickened. Great color scheme, decent logo and script, they just need to bring those neon colors out a bit more.

26 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

Having seen (photos of) these in action, I feel like they would be so much better if the blue and pink outlining around the numbers and script were thickened. Great color scheme, decent logo and script, they just need to bring those neon colors out a bit more.

A solid color wordmark would be the best fix. As someone pointed out earlier, the double outlining is not only too thin to really notice the colors but the red and blue also seem to blur together, creating a purple effect. The numbers on the back of the blue jersey look quite nice because the black number is outlined in white but has a red accent on top of the blue fabric. This arrangement works better than having double (red and blue) outlines on top of white or black fabric. So I'd propose a solid wordmark with a single color outline.

I'm hesitant to even call their colors neon. The Marlins might use that term in the PR materials but nothing about them looks neon to me, especially in their execution.

Just comparing similar uniforms:

Los Angeles Dodgers v Arizona Diamondbacks : News PhotoSan Francisco Giants v Arizona Diamondbacks : News PhotoSan Diego Padres v San Francisco Giants : News PhotoD0Nbw8WX0AY6fy3.jpg

D0KL_inWwAAtkhF.jpg

If they insist on keeping the letters black, make the blue and red more visible like the Giants' orange. Widen the stripes on the sleeves and pants, and get rid of the black stripes. Color in the cap logo, create a blue alt, and they'll be heading in the right direction.

I don't think that the Giants uniforms are especially great, but they work well enough because that orange outline is a little on the thicker side. The Orioles have an infinitely better execution of orange and black. I'd aspire more to that model, which is the solid color wordmark.

Those D-Backs wordmarks are kind of meh in terms of color and almost as bad as the Marlins. The front number and fake scales on the shoulders and sides do most of the heavy lifting in terms of adding color.

26 minutes ago, daveindc said:

Los Angeles Dodgers v Arizona Diamondbacks : News PhotoSan Francisco Giants v Arizona Diamondbacks : News Photo

The D-Backs are still wearing those?

I'm not sure how well those un-traditional baseball uniforms would work. I thought they might get shelved like the 90s back to the future unis with the massive logos across the front. But those ones seem to be doing not-so-bad.

9 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

The D-Backs are still wearing those?

I'm not sure how well those un-traditional baseball uniforms would work. I thought they might get shelved like the 90s back to the future unis with the massive logos across the front. But those ones seem to be doing not-so-bad.

Yeah just making comparisons with the color distribution. The uniform in the second pic is suffering the same way as the Marlins' with the lack of teal and Sedona red. The uniform in the first one does a better job with the red numbers.

5 minutes ago, jp1409 said:

I get that they insist on wearing black but bragging so much about "their colores" while going with their blackest set ever is pretty ridiculous... They need to add more of that beautiful blue and they need to find a way to sneak it in asap.

There's no reason why they need to insist on wearing black. Frankly I'm surprised that the 2012-2018 and 2019- sets use it so prominently given how much both Loria and Jeter embraced the "vibrancy" of South Florida. Black was so prominent from 2003-2011 only because Loria detested teal so much.

11 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

I realized that my emoji was less than impressive, so I went back and made the point more strongly.  

Let me know what you think now. 😛 

I see.

Anyway, I can't really imagine that moving to a black color scheme was going to generate more revenue than a teal one would have. There's wasn't any hype or excitement when the switch happened. My guess is that fans didn't even bother to buy something black heavy until a new star player entered the picture (Pudge, Cabrera, Delgado, Hanley, etc.) and they wanted gear with name on back. A color change in itself wouldn't be moving that needle nearly as much, although I suppose some fans might have liked the black alternate. Fans at Roe Robbie were rocking the teal all throughout the 00s.

1 minute ago, Gothamite said:

BFBS is a thing for a very real reason.  I doubt that Miami is any exception. 

Yes and no. I suspect that the financial incentives and cultural trends are not so straightforward. Obviously a handful of teams went the BFBS route, but I question how lucrative that really was given how short-lived the fad was.

I think the Marlins case is a little more complicated because they had the black sleeveless (something BFBS teams adopted) since 1996. The BFBS Marlins in 2003 could have easily retained that and introduced a black alternate to align with current trends. But the removal of teal from the wordmarks almost entirely (in favor of black and silver) suggests to me more Loria's personal tastes and not necessarily an indication what the rest of the league was doing.

We, in this community, tend to forget that generally speaking the common person prefers to purchase neutral colored clothing and accessories. Having worked in sports retail I can tell you most people tend to purchase caps based on the base color, and tend to stick with something safe, such as black. It was very difficult to sell the Marlins orange caps, while the black caps were fairly popular. Of course, these days the throwback colors sell best, but that's considered a special circumstance because those caps aren't available full time.

In short: it's easier/safer to sell standard color caps. Such as black.

That being said, the Marlins absolutely need to switch to blue caps. Now.

1 hour ago, Bmac said:

We, in this community, tend to forget that generally speaking the common person prefers to purchase neutral colored clothing and accessories. Having worked in sports retail I can tell you most people tend to purchase caps based on the base color, and tend to stick with something safe, such as black. It was very difficult to sell the Marlins orange caps, while the black caps were fairly popular. Of course, these days the throwback colors sell best, but that's considered a special circumstance because those caps aren't available full time.

In short: it's easier/safer to sell standard color caps. Such as black.

That being said, the Marlins absolutely need to switch to blue caps. Now.

In this day and age, with all the fashion gear available, black versions of every team's caps are sold no matter what colors the team wears on the field. There's no reason for a sports team to adopt colors based on what the average person wears outside. That's backwards. The orange cap may have been difficult to sell at whatever store you worked at, but I'm pretty sure it sold well at the shops at Marlins Park among fans who just want to wear the same gear as the players wear on the field. It probably would've sold even more had the players actually worn it. Google "Marlins Park fans" and you'll see orange caps in just about every pic:

tumblr_pngyvy8o3G1u7t2opo1_1280.png

tumblr_pngyv8AVNW1u7t2opo1_1280.png

tumblr_pngyu3kfVq1u7t2opo1_1280.png

tumblr_pngyss89ql1u7t2opo1_1280.png

tumblr_pngywpXDqh1u7t2opo1_1280.png

tumblr_pngzeiviax1u7t2opo1_1280.png

Fans just want to proudly wear their team's colors. They aren't concerned if it's "safe" or "neutral" or whatever. Again, that's what fashion gear is for. The actual uniform and team colors is a different story.

Archived