Miami Marlins 2019 Rebrand

SilverBullet1929

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Marlins fans have always seemed to embrace the bolder colors. Teal, red orange, and now the light blue. Marlins Park is probably going to be weird this season because there will probably be a mixture of people wearing gear from the team's four different identity phases.

2 hours ago, daveindc said:

Correct. Two different things, and that's what fashion gear is for. That's my point.

Except not everyone wants to wear fashion gear. I would bet that had the Marlins gone exclusively with an orange hat, a lot of people would have gone with the black throwback because it was authentic and a color that goes with everything.

3 hours ago, Marlins93 said:

Marlins fans have always seemed to embrace the bolder colors. Teal, red orange, and now the light blue. 

If you want to contend that Miami fans were and are immune to BFBS, we’ll need to see some sales figures to back that up. 

Because the only other theory that addresses the evidence - that the Marlins have had a series of ownership groups who choose to ignore sales numbers in favor of somebody’s personal preference - is kinda silly on its face. 

11 hours ago, Ray Lankford said:

Except not everyone wants to wear fashion gear. I would bet that had the Marlins gone exclusively with an orange hat, a lot of people would have gone with the black throwback because it was authentic and a color that goes with everything.

Except there's plenty of people that do wear fashion gear. There's no reason a team should base their actual team colors on what people casually wear on the street. 

For example, the Cubs sell caps like these at their shop: 

Men's Chicago Cubs New Era Black Black & White Core Classic 9TWENTY Adjustable Hat

Men's Chicago Cubs '47 Navy C Clean Up Adjustable Hat

Men's Chicago Cubs New Era Black Clubhouse Collection Low Profile 59FIFTY Fitted Hat

Men's Chicago Cubs '47 Navy Cooperstown Franchise Fitted Hat

Men's Chicago Cubs New Era Graphite Secondary Logo Core Classic 9TWENTY Adjustable Hat

These types of caps are made specifically for casual wear and are available in all sorts of styles and colors. They are very popular and you will see them at the park and around town.

Now going by your logic, the Cubs should change their uniform to black, gray, navy, tan, etc. Just so the team can tap into that tiny niche of fans you seem to be referring to who refuse to wear anything other than authentic gear around town, but won't wear it unless it's black either. I just don't agree with that.

When did the Miami Heat start wearing so much black? Was it before or after the Marlins did? I ask because the Heat have been the most successful South Florida sports team of the 2000s-2010s and they're now verrrry heavy on black and their stuff sells so well that I feel like that's been the basis for why black has been/become/stayed such a popular base color for the teams down here. Just asking because I know the Marlins did wear black since day 1 in 93 but got black-heavy in 96 and then overdid it in 03 and I have no clue when the Heat started it so I'm wondering which came first.

Edit: Not being a Heat fan my whole life I can't tell you when they started wearing it so much but the mothership says the Heat have had a black jersey in their rotation since they began in '88. I'm curious as to when merchandise sales of the black took off as I remember them pushing the black more in the mid/late 00's when they got good with Wade Shaq Lebron etc.

1 hour ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

When did the Miami Heat start wearing so much black? Was it before or after the Marlins did? I ask because the Heat have been the most successful South Florida sports team of the 2000s-2010s and they're now verrrry heavy on black and their stuff sells so well that I feel like that's been the basis for why black has been/become/stayed such a popular base color for the teams down here. Just asking because I know the Marlins did wear black since day 1 in 93 but got black-heavy in 96 and then overdid it in 03 and I have no clue when the Heat started it so I'm wondering which came first.

Edit: Not being a Heat fan my whole life I can't tell you when they started wearing it so much but the mothership says the Heat have had a black jersey in their rotation since they began in '88. I'm curious as to when merchandise sales of the black took off as I remember them pushing the black more in the mid/late 00's when they got good with Wade Shaq Lebron etc.

The Heat had black jerseys on Day 1. 1988. Whoops - posted before I saw your edit. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I think the Marlins fell into a lot of the same design problems as the Twins did when they updated their home uniform. Both have good, unique color schemes in theory, but with way too small of stripes and improper color distribution, the colors tend to muddle up and become indistinguishable. It’s actually pretty remarkable how similar the uniform designs are when you look at them side-by-side. I think if the Twins separated the red & gold by putting navy between them, and the Marlins separated the blue & red (by emphasizing blue), both of these looks would be much improved.

QWRTsnz.jpgdPkOXOM.jpg

2 hours ago, MJD7 said:

the Twins separated the red & gold by putting navy between them

UFOJW9q.png

2 hours ago, MJD7 said:

the Marlins separated the blue & red (by emphasizing blue)

FXklCxR.png

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

8 minutes ago, Survival79 said:

UFOJW9q.png

FXklCxR.png

Exactly, now the colors don’t muddle nearly as much. I would add a white outline around the top right Marlins wordmark & fill in the letters white on the bottom right, but other than that both of these revisions look great.

9 hours ago, Gothamite said:

If you want to contend that Miami fans were and are immune to BFBS, we’ll need to see some sales figures to back that up. 

Because the only other theory that addresses the evidence - that the Marlins have had a series of ownership groups who choose to ignore sales numbers in favor of somebody’s personal preference - is kinda silly on its face. 

Could you please show me some sales figures indicating that BFBS was actually commercially lucrative and not merely a short-lived trend cooked up by marketing departments that only a handful of teams actually embraced?

3 minutes ago, Marlins93 said:

Could you please show me some sales figures indicating that BFBS was actually commercially lucrative and not merely a short-lived trend cooked up by marketing departments that only a handful of teams actually embraced?

That a lot of teams either went BFBS or did the next best thing of darkening their colour scheme indicates that it was profitable. 

18 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

The whole wordmark design bothers me. They want to lean into the neon? Something a bit more...80s...would be bolder. 

It's not terrible, but the transition from the M to the (first) i in Miami really bothers me and I will never get over it. They seem so detached. That i needs a foot on the left side.

The Marlins wordmark is much better of the two.

1 hour ago, MJD7 said:

I would add a white outline around the top right Marlins wordmark

I'm not good enough at MS Paint to make that happen. How about this?

ZivH6lN.png

1 hour ago, MJD7 said:

fill in the letters white on the bottom right

duoFHkN.png

If I had my druthers, they wouldn't have a black alternate and all of the jerseys would say Marlins except for the road.

lHxwDVC.png

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

Archived