Miami Marlins 2019 Rebrand

SilverBullet1929

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, Survival79 said:

I'm not good enough at MS Paint to make that happen. How about this?

ZivH6lN.png

duoFHkN.png

If I had my druthers, they wouldn't have a black alternate and all of the jerseys would say Marlins except for the road.

lHxwDVC.png

That’s what I meant, it looks great! Surely you’re better at MS Paint than I am.

1 hour ago, Survival79 said:

I'm not good enough at MS Paint to make that happen. How about this?

ZivH6lN.png

duoFHkN.png

If I had my druthers, they wouldn't have a black alternate and all of the jerseys would say Marlins except for the road.

lHxwDVC.png

That'd be a huge step in the right direction. I'd even like to see how a white wordmark would look on the greys with a blue outline and red dropshadow. The previous grey jersey really grew on me and was pretty distinctive.

15 hours ago, Marlins93 said:

The white and gray look pretty good but I'm not entirely sure about the white wordmark on blue background yet (although I could warm up to it). I wonder how red or black lettering would look with the appropriate outlining/accenting.

ZG87rsv.png

G9umh3X.png

14 hours ago, jp1409 said:

That'd be a huge step in the right direction. I'd even like to see how a white wordmark would look on the greys with a blue outline and red dropshadow. The previous grey jersey really grew on me and was pretty distinctive.

5hirBJy.png

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

On 2/25/2019 at 8:31 AM, MJD7 said:

I think the Marlins fell into a lot of the same design problems as the Twins did when they updated their home uniform. Both have good, unique color schemes in theory, but with way too small of stripes and improper color distribution, the colors tend to muddle up and become indistinguishable. It’s actually pretty remarkable how similar the uniform designs are when you look at them side-by-side. I think if the Twins separated the red & gold by putting navy between them, and the Marlins separated the blue & red (by emphasizing blue), both of these looks would be much improved.

QWRTsnz.jpgdPkOXOM.jpg

To me the benefit of having a bright color is allowing it to pop in a design. The Marlins might as we have just used black only. Waste of a great color scheme. 

6 hours ago, the admiral said:

There's something very Uncanny Valley about that script in the same way that there is about the Phillies' script: it's cursive without a hand.

I don't like the script design, either, but I can't imagine them changing it anytime soon. The addition of color, however, is something I could easily envision happening within a few years.

I feel like they really wanted block letters but aspired to a "traditional" baseball look. And this is what they came up with.

On 2/25/2019 at 9:03 AM, Marlins93 said:

Marlins fans have always seemed to embrace the bolder colors. Teal, red orange, and now the light blue. Marlins Park is probably going to be weird this season because there will probably be a mixture of people wearing gear from the team's four different identity phases.

Exactly, great idea for a photo op, i hope those 4 fans will get together at a specific game or dinner and take a selfish. Hopefully it will be posted here. 

9 hours ago, skip88 said:

Exactly, great idea for a photo op, i hope those 4 fans will get together at a specific game or dinner and take a selfish. Hopefully it will be posted here. 

C'mon man, you can do better. Not only is the "Marlins have no fans lul" meme tired, low hanging fruit but that wasn't even clever.

ClAFLDa.png

On 2/26/2019 at 10:04 AM, the admiral said:

There's something very Uncanny Valley about that script in the same way that there is about the Phillies' script: it's cursive without a hand.

This is a good way to put it and it's because A. the weight of each letter is too uniform throughout iami and B. the letters have too much space between them. If you're hand-writing something in cursive you don't give your letters that much space and you're not evenly applying pressure to your writing tool so your strokes will be thicker in some places than others. Look at the Orioles scripts, Minnesota's road jerseys, look at Detroit's, and look at Cleveland's old road script. The letters all work in close quarters to one another and with one another, but each letter fluctuates in it's own weight.

Here the M takes up so much of the visual weight while the lowercase iami is streeeeetched to make the word reach across the chest, but once you get to the end it's cut off abruptly and the last i doesn't do the work the reach the same visual weight as the M so the whole thing feels unbalanced. The reason the Mets script works as a script with an even shorter word is because the t rises to match the weight of the M and combined with the lowercase s and vertical rise the whole thing is balanced. Also the Miami script is flat across the jerseys, which means there's no visual action with regards to how it's placed. It's begging for a more severe italicization and a vertical shear like every other team that uses a script on the front of a jersey. It doesn't have enough movement. If they'd vertically sheared it and given it an underlining tail coming off the last i then it'd be more dynamic, adds an extra character to the end of the word and also some more vertical thickness AND IF ANY TEAM SHOULD USE A TAIL ON THEIR SCRIPT IT'S THE GODDAMN MARLINS. This is like how the Capitals wordmark is all lower-case.

All mistakes that make it feel very concept boards and very airport gift shop.

Also the logo with the Marlin on top of the baseball looks like the Marlin is urinating and their prioritization of colors in what could be a cool color scheme is awful. The whole thing sucks! It's not an improvement over the previous identity and I hated the previous identity. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

2 hours ago, McCarthy said:

This is a good way to put it and it's because A. the weight of each letter is too uniform throughout iami and B. the letters have too much space between them. If you're hand-writing something in cursive you don't give your letters that much space and you're not evenly applying pressure to your writing tool so your strokes will be thicker in some places than others. Look at the Orioles scripts, Minnesota's road jerseys, look at Detroit's, and look at Cleveland's old road script. The letters all work in close quarters to one another and with one another, but each letter fluctuates in it's own weight.

Here the M takes up so much of the visual weight while the lowercase iami is streeeeetched to make the word reach across the chest, but once you get to the end it's cut off abruptly and the last i doesn't do the work the reach the same visual weight as the M so the whole thing feels unbalanced. The reason the Mets script works as a script with an even shorter word is because the t rises to match the weight of the M and combined with the lowercase s and vertical rise the whole thing is balanced. Also the Miami script is flat across the jerseys, which means there's no visual action with regards to how it's placed. It's begging for a more severe italicization and a vertical shear like every other team that uses a script on the front of a jersey. It doesn't have enough movement. If they'd vertically sheared it and given it an underlining tail coming off the last i then it'd be more dynamic, adds an extra character to the end of the word and also some more vertical thickness AND IF ANY TEAM SHOULD USE A TAIL ON THEIR SCRIPT IT'S THE GODDAMN MARLINS. This is like how the Capitals wordmark is all lower-case.

All mistakes that make it feel very concept boards and very airport gift shop.

Also the logo with the Marlin on top of the baseball looks like the Marlin is urinating and their prioritization of colors in what could be a cool color scheme is awful. The whole thing sucks! It's not an improvement over the previous identity and I hated the previous identity. 

Great take and I agree with every word here.

When it became it became obvious that the Marlins were on the verge of a rebranding, I was hoping for a return to a script (although the first Florida Marlins script was not cursive), but what they came up with is just so disappointing I almost want block letters back. That first i in Miami just kills me and of course they just had to plaster it on their home whites--the Marlins script is slightly better but plagued with the flaws you mention.

Nothing about this rebranding seems genuine or even thoroughly conceived.

Archived