Miami Marlins 2019 Rebrand

SilverBullet1929

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I certainly see why some feel these new uniforms lack color. Instead of a double outline, the Marlins would have been better served with one thick blue outline. As currently constructed, it’s as if the blue and red are fighting for supremacy and effectively canceling each other out in the wordmark. 

36 minutes ago, Marlins93 said:

I know that jersey has some haters here, but my eyes light up whenever I see a photo of players wearing it. It's so gorgeous.

You know, give it a script like this one in teal with a black outline (along with a matching "Miami" script or Art Deco-styled lettering of "Miami"), and I'd be happy as a clam.

58276_01_lg.jpg

The bright teal, with black and silver accents, had potential. It's just that it fell victim to Phoenix Design Works' insistence on using a very similar set of Times New Roman/Friz Quadrata-style letters (akin to the Rockies, who they also designed in 1993).

8 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

You know, give it a script like this one in teal with a black outline (along with a matching "Miami" script or Art Deco-styled lettering of "Miami"), and I'd be happy as a clam.

58276_01_lg.jpg

The bright teal, with black and silver accents, had potential. It's just that it fell victim to Phoenix Design Works' insistence on using a very similar set of Times New Roman/Friz Quadrata-style letters (akin to the Rockies, who they also designed in 1993).

As much as I love this, and think it should be used, if given the option to go back to real and black, I’m taking the original wordmark/script. It was great and underrated

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

1 minute ago, SFGiants58 said:

58276_01_lg.jpg

I would be enormously happy if they did something like that. They don't necessarily need to reuse the 93-02 wordmark, but something new and teal with black/silver accenting would be downright amazing. As much as I like the franchise's original look, most of the design elements, particularly the cap logo, need to be scrapped because of the switch from Florida to Miami. That shade of teal is just so vibrant, unique for MLB, and a perfect color to represent South Florida baseball. The Marlins have had a rocky history, but teal does not have a negative connotation attached to it among the fanbase. I would certainly say orange does now.

I understand the critiques of that first wordmark, but from a aesthetic perspective they never bothered me. That's not just nostalgia speaking; somehow everything just works.

7 minutes ago, Marlins93 said:

I would be enormously happy if they did something like that. They don't necessarily need to reuse the 93-02 wordmark, but something new and teal with black/silver accenting would be downright amazing. As much as I like the franchise's original look, most of the design elements, particularly the cap logo, need to be scrapped because of the switch from Florida to Miami. That shade of teal is just so vibrant, unique for MLB, and a perfect color to represent South Florida baseball. The Marlins have had a rocky history, but teal does not have a negative connotation attached to it among the fanbase. I would certainly say orange does now.

I understand the critiques of that first wordmark, but from a aesthetic perspective they never bothered me. That's not just nostalgia speaking; somehow everything just works.

Evoking the 1993-02 (or 1997-02) design without copying the identity from that period would be the best of both worlds. Maybe throw in some Art Deco influences in the "M" on the cap or a "Miami" wordmark (kind of like what the '93-'02 teams did), to give it that slight Miami push without turning into the '12-'18 mess of colors and shadowing. Teal can be a branding point, especially when the Mariners are so reticent to do the obvious:

rmLOqOn.png.bbf58092b8281a8eb27051fa367f

If it works for the Mariners, it'll work for the Marlins.

I want to point out that I've always loved the 93-02 road jersey and feel like it's sorely underrated. Maybe they could go with more of an Art Deco font, but the block letters look great to me here. What's also interesting to me as that the letters that make up MIAMI are very "angular" (for lack of a better word, I mean lots of diagonals and straight lines) that lend themselves well to a blocky wordmark instead of cursive (although the cursive in the Heat vice jerseys looks great, despite being cliche). Priority #1 for the Marlins needs to be putting MARLINS back on the home whites. This is the most egregious blunder with the new set IMO after the black heaviness. So I'd like to see block letters on the road for sure, but can be convinced either way for the home.

fla-00-02-allgray-iconsmi-1-675x380.jpg

That was a strong road uniform.  I love how they let the number be black and not have the white highlight trim like the wordmark.

That being said, if they were to do anything like that again, I'd like for them to drop the white and cut back or remove the cuff trim.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 minute ago, BringBackTheVet said:

That was a strong road uniform.  I love how they let the number be black and not have the white highlight trim like the wordmark.

That being said, if they were to do anything like that again, I'd like for them to drop the white and cut back or remove the cuff trim.

I agree about the white. I was looking closely at the photo when I posted it and was thinking that the white accenting might not be necessary.

On 2/28/2019 at 7:26 PM, Michael Bolton said:

C'mon man, you can do better. Not only is the "Marlins have no fans lul" meme tired, low hanging fruit but that wasn't even clever.

My humor is at the same level as the marlins team.  Just give me some time, and i will get better

Saw the new Marlins on TV for the first time, and man do their blue tops blow.  Horrible.  Why use black on blue?  It's such a beautiful shade, and they did everything they could to make it look artificially dull.  Just put the wordmark on it instead of the dumb chest patch, go with white or literally any other color number, and you have a very nice jersey.

Dumb buttholes.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I expect the Marlins to alter the jerseys to add more colour in a couple years. 

I think they played it safe with black as the main colour, maybe a little too safe.

It seems like they wanted to merely test drive the new “Colores” in muted way but I know don’t why they thought more colourful uniforms wouldn’t be well received. 

Blue letters/numbers on the home and roads outlined in the red-pink and black, and Black hats with blue brims would be ideal. That should be their definitive look with this new identity.

3 hours ago, McGlinchey23 said:

These new uniforms are going to have a bad association right off the bat. The Marlins might struggle to win 55 games this year

Maybe the silver lining there is that the Marlins will overhaul the whole set sooner.

Jeter's motivation was obviously to do as much as possible to help fans forget about Loria, but I would have waited to rebrand until after the Nike contract started and closer to the team's window of competition--likely 2021.

Archived