Miami Marlins 2019 Rebrand

SilverBullet1929

I’m not sure how the split works, but if the majority of sales are in fact split, then the other teams would be putting pressure on the poor-selling ones to do something since everyone is impacted by a low performer. If I’m the Yankees, I’m pissed that I’m giving welfare to the Marlins, and I’m sure MLB also wants the low-selling teams to step it up. 

Regardless of any split, everyone benefits from more sales, so that certainly has a lot to do with it. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/8/2019 at 5:30 PM, WSU151 said:

On my TV (which is not 4K)...the BP jerseys look teal in the sun, and the whole package looks like teal, black, and orange. And it looks like a great update from the 90s. Today's game against the Mets is an aesthetically pleasing game. 

Just pointing out an observation but that teal look on the blue jerseys has only happened on TV when they're at the Mets spring training ballpark. No clue why but I've seen the jerseys at every televised spring game and this only happens there in Port St Lucie. Probably has something to do with the TV cameras. I've also seen still pictures of those same games and the jerseys look blue again so it's definitely a TV thing for whatever reason. The first tweet is vs the Mets, as a comparison the second tweet is vs the Cardinals in Jupiter, Florida.

19 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

It's probably a TV camera thing.  I watch a couple of college teams that have teal but it looks kelly green on TV.

Agreed, but in my experience, it’s not the stadium, but the broadcaster. On TV27 (The local broadcasters of Orlando City games), they can look like a wide variety of colors, from magenta to navy. However, on national-broadcast games by ESPN or FS1, they always look purple, as they should. However, baseball games are shown from a very different angle than soccer games are, so it could just be sport differences as well.

ExJworW.png

Time of day, straight sunlight vs overcast skies, colors in the background/of the opposing team, angle of the cameras and camera settings are among the many different factors that would contribute to the same jersey looking two different colors.

On 3/11/2019 at 10:19 AM, SilverBullet1929 said:

Just pointing out an observation but that teal look on the blue jerseys has only happened on TV when they're at the Mets spring training ballpark. No clue why but I've seen the jerseys at every televised spring game and this only happens there in Port St Lucie. Probably has something to do with the TV cameras. I've also seen still pictures of those same games and the jerseys look blue again so it's definitely a TV thing for whatever reason. The first tweet is vs the Mets, as a comparison the second tweet is vs the Cardinals in Jupiter, Florida.

In both pictures...this team needs more magenta.

On 3/11/2019 at 7:19 AM, SilverBullet1929 said:

Drives me crazy that opposing teams can both wear blue tops but god forbid they wear white pants with colored tops on the road. Aqua over white would be nice. Aqua over gray is blah. 

The Royals can get away with powder blue over grey because of the blue hats and socks. Doesn't work quite the same way with all the black.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Nah, light blue clashes with gray pants - they’re too close in... something. I don’t know the technical term, but there’s a reason that light blue was an accepted alternative to gray. Aqua contrasts better, but still doesn’t look great in the Marlins’ case. 

Back in tbe 80s it wasn’t uncommon for a road team to wear white pants if they had a colored top, so I don’t see the issue now. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I've always thought that the old Marlins teal BP and ST jerseys looked great with their white and grey pants. Particularly the later and more extensively worn version with the black, as opposed to silver, wordmark. That was their spring training mainstay through 2002.

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

I only remember the Cubs and Astros doing that. Who else did?

The Indians in the '70s

pat-dobson-of-the-cleveland-indians-pitc

The Braves in the '70s

CK-kIb0WUAA7iHt.jpg:large

The Astros in the '70s

19934744348_52d383e309_o.jpg

The Pirates in the '70s

4748356677_cb944080ca_b.jpg

The Padres in the '70s and '80s

gwynn.jpeg?quality=65&strip=color&w=1100

The A's in the '70s and '80s

jeff-newman-of-the-oakland-athletics-bat

The White Sox in the '70s and '80s

CK-dB5KWwAE2ypr.jpg:large

The Giants in the '70s and '80s

CK-X4L-WwAAlx9p.jpg:large

The Cubs in the '80s

richie-hebner-of-the-chicago-cubs-bats-a

The Rangers in the '80s

jim-anderson-of-the-texas-rangers-throws

Source.

I only wrote the '70s for the Astros because the articles puts '75-'79, here's why:

One note: There’s a lot of confusion about the extent to which the Astros may have worn white road pants (and, for that matter, white-based road jerseys) from 1975 through 1993. Bill Henderson’s guide spends several pages examining this question — it’s too much to summarize here, but the short version is that (a) the team’s road greys during much this period were a very light grey; (b) they also appear to have used a road cream, which wasn’t all that distinguishable from the home whites; and (c) the only seasons during which they definitely wore white pants on the road were 1975-79, so those are the years I listed above.

Wow, I didn’t realize how popular that style was in the 70’s and 80’s, I thought it was just a few teams. 

This might be an unpopular opinion, but I think the colored top, white pants on the road look could work great across MLB in the modern day. It would bring a little extra splash of color to games as opposed to white v. gray, and would bring baseball closer to football, basketball, & hockey in aesthetic.

13 hours ago, McGlinchey23 said:

You can add the Orioles to that list

spacer.png

Are you sure they did it on the road? The Orioles had gray roads throughout the 70s and 80s...and the picture above looks like Memorial Stadium. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived