Syracuse Chiefs rebrand as Syracuse Mets

SportsLogos.Net News

Syracuse Chiefs rebrand as Syracuse Mets

October 16, 2018 - 19:10 PM

When the New York Mets purchased the triple-A Syracuse Chiefs before the 2018 season, speculation was rampant that the Chiefs would rebrand as the Syracuse Mets for 2019 and beyond. Governor Andrew Cuomo himself said back in January that the […]

Read More...

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is wonderful news.  I am almost always in favour of a farm club taking the name, as well as the look, of its parent club.  And, now that the Mets own the team, there will be no switching of affiliations.

Granted, some minor league names deserve to continue: Durham Bulls, Buffalo Bisons, Birmingham Barons.  The name Syracuse Chiefs was an old one, as well.  But its time has passed; and its departure is a good thing.  I can only hope that the name Indianapolis Indians will be the next one to go.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

2 minutes ago, kimball said:

Am I the only one disappointed they're not something like the Syracuse SalamiRats?

Yes. I'm all for originality in names but the latest trend of random food item and animals needs to die a horrible death. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Syracuse_Mets.jpg

The use of the state's map in the logo is puzzling.  What's more, it is poorly executed. That blob beind the letters Y and R looks nothing like Lake Ontario.  And the white above Long Island doesn't seem to represent anything coherent.  If it were going to show the true state border within the Sound, it would be a straight line out to the end of Long Island, and then a right angle.  This logo has major water problems.

But the script is gorgeous.  I hope their uniforms are exact copies of the Mets' uniforms, but with "Syracuse" in that script on the road.  Also, the S from that script would make a fine cap logo.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

13 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

This is wonderful news.  I am almost always in favour of a farm club taking the name, as well as the look, of its parent club.  

We'll have to agree to disagree on this.  I much prefer when minor league teams get to maintain at least some originality . . . especially some of the classic examples you gave..

That's not to say that any name other than the parent's name will do.  I'm opposed to Rumble Ponies, Baby Cakes and random local food references.  I'm also opposed to G-League horrors like Capital City Go-Go, Raptors 905 and Oklahoma City Blue.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I'd take Indianapolis Arrows over Indians, pace the history, if only because they're not and will never seem to be an affiliate of the Cleveland Indians. Font needs work but the name is fine.

Syracuse Chiefs should have stayed. Mets only works for New York City.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Now that I know the Mets own Syracuse, I'm 100% behind this.  I prefer it when minor league clubs have their own identities, but given the naming trends recently, I'm more than okay with this.  I also don't mind it in situations like this when the minor league team plays in the parent club's market... the Paw Sox are the gold standard for that type of identity and the Syracuse Mets are definitely along those lines.

The blue-on-blue version of the logo could have been executed better, but hopefully that'll be tweaked away eventually.  On white, it's not a bad look at all.

27 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

After 35 years, is it finally time?

il_570xN.764974050_s1cv.jpg

Granted, fighting for the trademarks might be a pain, but it’d be well-recieved.

If I were them, I'd adopt a logo with an arrow in it right now, since it also goes with the Indians name.  Then change the name once the logo was established.  Sort of what the North Stars did their last year in Minnesota, only a lot less shady.

If they can't get Arrows, Indys would work.  It's phonetically similar, and the Indianapolis club is established enough to pull off something relatively old-timey like that.

I don't actually have a problem with the Indianapolis Indians name.  I actually rather like that a couple of the original AA identities is still around.  But the Indianapolis community doesn't seem nearly as invested in the Indians name as Toledo is with the Mud Hens.  Designing around that name is only going to get more difficult going forward.  And, as it's been pointed out, it's just confusing seeing that they'll never be an affiliate of the Cleveland club as long as Columbus has a team.  

51 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

This is wonderful news.  I am almost always in favour of a farm club taking the name, as well as the look, of its parent club.  And, now that the Mets own the team, there will be no switching of affiliations.

Team name means nothing....the Daytona Cubs a few years ago were left high and dry by Chicago and had to rebrand in less than 6 months to the Tortugas.

(sigh)

A real shame that such a well-executed identity and historical name have been replaced by a copy-and-paste. The Mets name doesn't work so well outside of NYC.

"The Mets: Why Try?"

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Archived