Angels tell Anaheim they're opting out of their lease on Angel Stadium

Gothamite

1 hour ago, Quillz said:

Why is the Bay Area market different from the other markets? What about something like Dallas-Fort Worth? Could MLB add a National League team to that area?

The Bay Area is different because the Giants asked for exclusive rights to San Jose, as part of a contemplated move.  Those rights carried over to new ownership, even though they built in San Francisco. To my knowledge, every other team has exclusive market rights. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Quillz said:

Why is the Bay Area market different from the other markets? What about something like Dallas-Fort Worth? Could MLB add a National League team to that area?

The Texas Rangers have the DFW market locked down. 

12 hours ago, Quillz said:

To me, the biggest offender is the NFL. The NFL has seemingly erased all existence of the pre-Super Bowl era, to the point they only really measure their franchises now by the number of Super Bowls they've won. This makes people think of the Browns as hapless and horrible, because so few people realize they were very good pre-Super Bowl. Both San Diego and Buffalo won championships during their AFL years, but the NFL again seems to pretend a merger never happened.

I'll second this.  The NFL is getting ready to celebrate its 100th season, but it acts in many ways as if championships won before 1966 don't count.

• Like 10

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

13 hours ago, Quillz said:

To me, the biggest offender is the NFL. The NFL has seemingly erased all existence of the pre-Super Bowl era, to the point they only really measure their franchises now by the number of Super Bowls they've won. This makes people think of the Browns as hapless and horrible, because so few people realize they were very good pre-Super Bowl. Both San Diego and Buffalo won championships during their AFL years, but the NFL again seems to pretend a merger never happened.

I agree that the NFL is completely myopic when it comes to the pre-Super Bowl era.  They should give the 1960 championship every bit the weight they give the 1970 championship, even if the title game itself changed names in between. 

But San Diego and Buffalo both won championships of a minor league.  Which is impressive, to be sure, but not quite on the same level.  The AFL championship alone was never equivalent to a world championship.  

38 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

But San Diego and Buffalo both won championships of a minor league.  Which is impressive, to be sure, but not quite on the same level.  The AFL championship alone was never equivalent to a world championship.

What that establishes that the AFL was not a minor league is the fact that the NFL recognises all AFL stats as equivalent to its own.   A glimpse at any list of NFL records finds AFL events on the list with no special marking. For example, in the list for most points scored in a game by an individual player, amongst the 13 players tied for fourth with 30 points are three who did it in AFL games.  So there could conceivably be an "NFL record" that was set in an AFL game. 

The NFL also gives a kind of recognition to AFL championships: it considers them equivalent to AFC conference championships.  Likewise, it recognises its own pre-1966 league championships as equivalent to NFC conference championships.

This stands in contrast to the AAFC.  The NFL accepted only three teams from that league, one of which folded after a single season in the NFL; whereas it accepted the entire AFL.  The NFL does not recognise AAFC stats as it does AFL stats, nor does it give any level of acknowledgment to the four AAFC championships won by the Browns.  Thus the AAFC counts as a minor league, while the AFL, which is fully integrated into the history of the NFL, does not.

• Like 1

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

11 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

The NFL also gives a kind of recognition to AFL championships: it considers them equivalent to AFC conference championships.

Which is appropriate, since the AFL was not the equivalent of the NFL.  It was a minor league that was able to leverage its growth and strength into joining the major leagues. 

11 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Likewise, it recognises its own pre-1966 league championships as equivalent to NFC conference championships.

Which is offensive to anyone who actually cares about history. 😛

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

Which is appropriate, since the AFL was not the equivalent of the NFL.  It was a minor league that was able to leverage its growth and strength into joining the major leagues. 

A minor league that went 2-2 against the NFL in their shared championship game? 

• Like 8

9 hours ago, the admiral said:

Yes, that's precisely what this tedious CCSLC hobbyhorse needed, LeBron James wearing a shirt about himself

I'm sorry, but if anybody that can shed light on the intricacies of Southern California geography, it's a basketball player from Northeastern Ohio. Please take your sarcasm elsewhere.

• Like 1

On 7/2/2019 at 7:41 PM, Quillz said:

I agree with this in that history always belongs to the franchise/club/team and NOT the city. This is why I have a big problem with agreements where Oklahoma City can claim they won the 1979 championship, but cannot claim the Sonics identity. It's messy and we all know it's wrong. Simply put, the Thunder won the 1979 NBA Finals, with a note they were based in Seattle under a different name at the time. Simple and honest.

I agree with most of this, but semantics would have me say the Oklahoma City franchise won the 1979 NBA Championship. The Thunder did not win it.

• Like 4

It's where I sit.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/8/2019 at 8:31 PM, GDAWG said:

So any updates on the Angels pursuit of a new stadium?

Bro I came in here like damn the Angels opted out? Why they don’t talk about it when I watch the games (I live in LA) & I come here I see the XFL, NFL, NBA, CFB and X-Games being mentioned.. I hit that back button like where tf am I lmao

22 hours ago, d11king said:

Bro I came in here like damn the Angels opted out? Why they don’t talk about it when I watch the games (I live in LA) & I come here I see the XFL, NFL, NBA, CFB and X-Games being mentioned.. I hit that back button like where tf am I lmao

Vince Russo, is that you?

• Like 1