NFL Unveils Logo for 100th Anniversary Season

SportsLogos.Net News

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, Mockba said:

I've seen a lot of mentions that the NFL's 75th was a great logo... and I just don't see it.  It's a congested mess.

I can understand your opinion, but I have to disagree. I think the elements are tied together very well, and the shield sitting on top of the diamond fits perfectly. On top of that, they were able to use some of the popular trends of the day (teal, purple) in a tasteful way. It's one reason why the logo is still regarded as a great one today.

I just wish the NFL thought about how the 100 ann. logo would be received down the line, not just in the current day. Like I said, it's not bad, but looks like something a highschooler would create in Photoshop...in 2010.

NSFCvyu.png

18 hours ago, Mockba said:

I've seen a lot of mentions that the NFL's 75th was a great logo... and I just don't see it.  It's a congested mess.

The 100 is just uninspired.

nostalgia, mate. you could teach a class on how NOT to design a logo based on that one alone

no disrespect to the rest of y’all, but man, that logo is just all kinds of wrong

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

15 hours ago, JWhiz96 said:

I can understand your opinion, but I have to disagree. I think the elements are tied together very well, and the shield sitting on top of the diamond fits perfectly. On top of that, they were able to use some of the popular trends of the day (teal, purple) in a tasteful way. It's one reason why the logo is still regarded as a great one today.

I just wish the NFL thought about how the 100 ann. logo would be received down the line, not just in the current day. Like I said, it's not bad, but looks like something a highschooler would create in Photoshop...in 2010.

But then, doesn’t the 75th logo look like something a high schooler would create in CorelDRAW in 1990?

The 75th patch is a complex logo, stacked on complex typography, stacked on a complex background with little stylistic connection between the elements. The 75 is a dark color on a dark background, leaving the white in the NFL shield as the focal point of a muddy polygon. Even though the primary physical execution of the mark was a jersey patch, the logo was still designed with a gradient that had to be abandoned for the embroidered version, which is kind of inexcusable. It’s just... objectively not great from a design standpoint, even if it scores high on the nostalgia meter.

Nothin’ but mud:

nfl-49ers-sanders-deion-21-red-75th-anni

Compare that to the job the NHL did, which was much more clear and concise:

19921.jpg

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I think @Gothamite said something like this once, but the mark of a good logo is whether a kid can draw it in his or her notebook.

The flat rendering helps, but it still seems needlessly complicated. The NFL isn't a rocket laser league. It's a football league. And if your logo needs a logo on top of it, it's not really that good.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Just taking a random stab at the laser-jet thing imagery..

The NFL has existed for 100 years, and after 10 years of existence for both leagues that currently comprise the NFL, they fully merged to form the single, current league, which has taken the NFL to new heights, etc, blah blah..

(Point being that the two streaks "merge" just after the "10" in the 100)..

Hmmm.... Blue graphic with Red streak from left to right?

Looks like the Bills logo!

Let's go Buffalo!  I mean we can take pride in this if not our team this year, right?

I always have claimed the Bills logo is the archetypical pro football mark. Born of the 70s, classic graphic, aggressive, motion, simple and bold. 

Archived