Unique Team Names?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/17/2018 at 11:22 AM, Buc said:

There's also the Stanford Cardinal, and Harvard Crimson. So unless there's another somewhere we don't know about, there may be only three teams named for a single color.

As for [singular nickname], right off the top of my head:

Alabama Crimson Tide

Tulane Green Wave

Tulsa Golden Hurricane (!)

St. John's Red Storm

Cornell Big Red (which I suppose may fit into that first category up above)

Officially, (I believe) North Texas' athletic nickname is "Eagles"...but by and large they are the "Mean Green" to all of us. 

(Now I'm thinking there needs to be a team somewhere nicknamed the "Gold Rush"...lol)

Chicago Maroons

Dartmouth Big Green

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

Who can forget such AFL gems as: ThunderBears, Forest Dragons, Hooters, or Fighting Pike.

High School?

Poca Dots

Glenville Tarblooders

Norwalk Truckers (already listed)

Yuma Criminals

Philo Electrics

Shenandoah Zeps

Brush Arcs

Mars Fightin' Planets

Hampton Talbots

Aliquippa Quips

Smethport Hubbers

Karns City Gremlins

East Liverpool Potters

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 11:22 AM, Buc said:

(Now I'm thinking there needs to be a team somewhere nicknamed the "Gold Rush"...lol)

... ahem... My wife's undergrad alma mater, Xavier University of Louisiana:

CvltnmoVUAE-JnM.jpg getimage.iaspx?d=50530&p=5155&pc=gold&r=

Womens' teams are called the Gold Nuggets

It is what it is.

^^ And there [you] have it.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

On 11/17/2018 at 11:22 AM, Buc said:

Officially, (I believe) North Texas' athletic nickname is "Eagles"...but by and large they are the "Mean Green" to all of us. 

Mean Green is the official name they go by these days over Eagles. It might be a deal where they officially use both names, but Mean Green is preferred.

Around Wisconsin, there are the Waukesha South Blackshirts, Monroe Cheesemakers, Kimberly Papermakers, Rhinelander Hodags, Everest Evergreens, and probably the only two Purgolders in existence-Milwaukee Washington and some Madison school.  The former uses a husky mascot, the latter uses a puma.

At the college level, we got the Stevens Point Pointers and Eau Claire Blugolds.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

7 hours ago, schlim said:

XSw1Rrg.jpg
Columbia, Missouri high school

My neck of the woods, baby!! I have many friends who are Hickman alumni. Both colleges l attended were the Greyhounds, Moberly Area Community College (MO) and Eastern New Mexico University. A great high school mascot is Frankfort, Indiana, the Hot Dogs.

13 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

A few HS names I know of in Utah:

- Jordan Beetdiggers (that would make Dwight Schrute proud)

- American Fork Cavemen

- Juan Diego Soaring Eagle (that’s not a typo)

- Davis Darts

- Rowland Hall Winged Lions

These are all unique names, but my high school’s primary rival, the Beaver Beavers, always stood out to me, not because of the mascot name (Beavers is relatively common), but because the mascot name is simply the multiple of the high school’s—and town’s—name.

On 10/27/2018 at 11:48 AM, Mac the Knife said:

I liked the Casper Ghosts, and enjoy today's Savannah Bananas.

Agreed. One of my white whales right now is finding a Casper Ghosts hat. They only lasted about 3 years before becoming the Grand Junction Rockies and any remaining merchandise is scarce. I’ve even petitioned Hat Club to find a way to get a hat out there about a month ago and haven’t heard back, but I’d be lying if I said that I’m expecting a response. Savannah Bananas is also a great, fun, rhyming minor-league/collegiate wood-bat team name that deserves all the love it gets.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

That reminds me of Lake Geneva Badger, whose teams are... drumroll please...the Badgers.  Naturally, you can take a wild guess who their mascot is.  And of course their main color is red because Sconnie.

Another unique yet redundant one I forgot the first time was the Cuba City Cubans.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Archived