College Basketball 2018-19

buzzcut

10 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

1yxEkJQ.jpg

Sheeeeeeit

And MCL sprain? :censored:.

Shut down NCAA basketball. No top player should go there. Go to China. G League.  Europe. Don't give those talents away for nothing.

Yup, just like Kentucky's primary big, Reid Travis is, suffered on Tuesday night.  Travis is likely out two weeks, possibly through the SEC Tournament.

That's what you get for camping out for a week and buying a secondary market ticket for $2,000+, but Zion apparently loves to play with the other three Freshman.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

https://www.syracuse.com/crime/2019/02/syracuse-coach-jim-boeheim-hits-kills-man-walking-on-i-690.html

Syracuse men’s basketball coach Jim Boeheim struck and killed a man Thursday walking outside a vehicle on Interstate 690 shortly before midnight, authorities said.

Jorge Jimenez, 51, had been in a car with four others near Thompson Road in Syracuse when their vehicle crashed into a guardrail for unknown reasons, authorities said.

“The occupants then exited the vehicle and proceeded to walk on the highway within close proximity to that vehicle,” Syracuse police said in a 9:51 a.m. news release. “An oncoming vehicle noticed the disabled car and tried avoiding the vehicle, which was in the middle of the road.”

The driver of the second vehicle, Boeheim, 74, of DeWitt, struck Jimenez as he stood on the side of the road, police said.

“Field sobriety and alco-sensor tests for both drivers were negative for any signs of impairment,” police said. “Reconstruction of the scene will be performed and speeds cannot be determined at this time.

• 3 weeks later...

LSU, which may win the SEC Regular Season Championship, has suspended HC Will Wade indefinitely.

Wade was recorded in an FBI wiretap concerning the payment of a player and was advised by his attorneys not to discuss the wiretap to LSU administrators, which forced them to suspend him.

Oh, yea, the first Automatic Bid is earned on Saturday with the OVC.

It's that time again... one bid on the line tonight.

Ohio Valley - Evansville, IN

#2 Murray State Racers vs. #1 Belmont Bruins

Records

MURR: 26-4 (16-2)

BEL: 26-4 (16-2)

It was a two horse race in the Ohio Valley this season and these horses meet for a shot at the automatic bid. Murray State has a player who has captured the nation's attention in Ja Morant, a stud who leads his team in scoring and has gain attention for his scoring ability and his dunking prowess. Belmont counters with a great player themselves in Dylan Windler, who can light it up as well. The Bruins won the only meeting between these two teams, so this is for all the marbles.

At least Zion Williamson won't be the greatest player in Duke history to never play a game against UNC.  That belongs to Kyrie Irving. 

Zion is at least credited with 1 minute.  

And UVa is at worst the ACC Co-Champion, but now return to the scene of the crime for the ACC Tournament...Spectrum Center in Charlotte, NC.  

3 bids will be up for grabs tomorrow...

Big South

#4 Gardner-Webb Running Bulldogs at #2 Radford Highlanders

Records

GWU: 22-11 (10-6)

RAD: 22-10 (12-4)

Radford returns to the scene of the crime where one year ago, the Highlanders won the Big South final on a buzzer beating shot to give them a trip to the Big Dance. Most of the cast from last year is back and looking for a repeat. Gardner-Webb is making their first trip here after knocking off conference co-champ Campbell in the semifinals. Can they take another high seed or does Radford return to the Big Dance?

Missouri Valley - St. Louis, MO

#6 Northern Iowa Panthers vs. #5 Bradley Braves

Records

UNI: 16-17 (9-9)

BRAD: 19-14 (9-9)

There will be no repeat of Loyola of Chicago's magic as the Missouri Valley has a final that no one saw coming: Bradley and Northern Iowa. The Braves started 0-5 in MVC play before getting red hot and taking down the top seeded Ramblers. Northern Iowa took down arch rival Drake with an upset of their own. Which surprise team takes home Arch Madness?

Atlantic Sun

#2 Liberty Flames at #1 Lipscomb Bisons

Records

LIB: 27-6 (14-2)

LIP: 25-6 (14-2)

A year ago, Liberty was in the Big South final when it saw their hopes go up in flames (literally) when Radford hit the game winning buzzer beater. New year, new conference and the same result for Liberty: A trip to the conference finals. This time, Lipscomb stands in the way. The teams split the regular season series, so this is the rubber match. Can Liberty take flight in their new conference home or does the Bisons snuff the Flames out once again?

On 3/9/2019 at 9:05 PM, Gary. said:

ASU swept Arizona. Love the win! Now let’s hope they can win a couple games in the PAC-12 tournament and get a bid to the big dance.

I don’t have anything against ASU, but I love the idea of the PAC-12 having one bid so much I’ve been rooting against them all season. Hopefully the Tarheels don’t screw up before the Duke game.

Also, RIP Furman. I can’t see them getting an at-large but that was a great season and a fun team to watch.

Two more bids tomorrow..

Southern - Asheville, NC

#2 UNC-Greensboro Spartans vs. #1 Wofford Terriers

Records

UNCG: 28-5 (15-3)

WOFF: 28-5 (18-0)

It's been an unusually strong year for the Southern Conference. How strong? Well, the top four teams (which includes Furman and ETSU) all had 20+ wins and two schools (the aforementioned Furman and Wofford) have been ranked in the Top 25 at points during the seasons. Wofford is currently ranked and is riding a long winning streak, which includes two beat downs of the team they're facing in the title game in UNC-Greensboro. Can the Spartans do the impossible or does Wofford continue to roll on?

MAAC - Albany, NY

#6 Monmouth Hawks vs. #1 Iona Gaels

Records

MON: 14-20 (10-8)

IONA: 16-15 (12-6)

On the flip side, the Metro Atlantic has had a massive down year. Only a few teams finished above the .500 mark overall and they're all within a loss or two of being at the Mendoza line. This includes conference champ Iona. Monmouth, on the other hand, had a godawful OoC portion of the season (1-12) but recovered in conference play and has won three in a row to get here. The winner here more then likely heads to Dayton, so... who wants that more?

Five bids are up for grabs tomorrow

Colonial - Charleston, SC: #2 Northeastern vs. #1 Hofstra (Both teams survived tough semifinal games. Can Justin Wright-Foreman, who dropped a tournament record 42 points in the semis, power the Pride to victory?)

Northeast: #2 Fairleigh Dickerson at #1 St. Francis [PA] (The top two teams in the NEC square off)

Horizon - Detroit, MI: #2 Northern Kentucky vs. #1 Wright State (The two best teams duel in the Motor City)

Summit - Sioux Falls, SD: #4 North Dakota State vs. #2 Omaha (Both schools are more known for other sports, but these teams now have a shot at March Madness)

West Coast - Las Vegas, NV: #2 St. Mary's vs. #1 Gonzaga (Yawn... wake me when someone other then these two are playing in this game...)

One bid up for grabs tomorrow...

Patriot League

#2 Bucknell Bison at #1 Colgate Raiders

Records

BUCK: 21-11 (13-5)

COL: 23-10 (13-5)

The top two teams in the Patriot League square off on the home court of the Colgate Raiders. Bucknell has owned this league in the last few seasons, but they split the season series with Colgate. Thanks to tiebreakers (Colgate swept the season series with 4th seed American while Bucknell split the season series with American), the title game is at Colgate. Who takes home this rubber match?

6 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

As dominant as Gonzaga has been, that was possibly St. Mary's only way in. 

The only sensible conspiracy in sports is that one-bid (-ish) conferences tell Gonzaga types to intentionally throw conference championship games to get two teams into the tourney. I probably wouldn’t do it if I were a commissioner due to all of my scruples, but I’d be tempted. 

1 hour ago, Red Wolf said:

The only sensible conspiracy in sports is that one-bid (-ish) conferences tell Gonzaga types to intentionally throw conference championship games to get two teams into the tourney. I probably wouldn’t do it if I were a commissioner due to all of my scruples, but I’d be tempted. 

But honestly I’d rather have an ok saint mary’s team get in than a bad TCU or UT.

Excellent!

The Stugotz in LSU's Will Wade is very strong.

While he has refused to talk to the school about the wiretap he seems to be caught on, he wants to be reinstated (likely for the bonus money because he has no buyout).

Per nola.com, here are Wade's performance incentives:

Win the SEC Tournament ($50,000)

NCAA Tournament appearance ($100,000)

Sweet Sixteen appearance ($100,000)

Final Four appearance ($100,000)

Win a national championship ($150,000)

Win NABC, AP or Naismith Coach of the Year ($100,000)

SEC Coach of the Year ($100,000)

Finish with a team APR over 930 ($100,000)

Super Saturday is fast approaching... here's the bids up for grabs on this day.

ACC - Charlotte, NC: #4 Florida State vs. #3 Duke (The Zion Show might hit peak performance here...)

America East: #3 UMBC at #1 Vermont (Guess who's back? Everyone's favorite 1 seed killer seeks a return trip. Not if Vermont can stop them, though)

Big 12 - Kansas City, MO: #5 Iowa State vs. #3 Kansas (The streak may be over, but the Jayhawks look to take home a tournament title instead)

Big East - New York City, NY: #3 Seton Hall vs. #1 Villanova (The Pirates look to pull a fast one in the Big Apple)

Big Sky - Boise, ID: #3 Eastern Washington vs. #1 Montana (Can the Eagles stop the mighty Grizzlies?)

Big West - Anaheim, CA: #3 Cal State Fullerton vs. #1 UC Irvine (Anteaters look for payback from last year's loss to Titans)

Conference USA - Frisco, TX: #2 Western Kentucky vs. #1 Old Dominion (Does the top seed have any gas in the tank left after two nail biting victories?)

MEAC - Norfolk, VA: #3 North Carolina Central vs. #1 Norfolk State (Will home court be enough for the top seeded Spartans?)

Mid-American - Cleveland, OH: #3 Bowling Green vs. #1 Buffalo (The rubber match between the Bulls and the only team to give them a threat in conference play)

Mountain West - Las Vegas, NV: #4 San Diego State vs. #2 Utah State (Aztecs look to jack a bid from a potential bubble team)

Pac-12 - Las Vegas, NV:  #6 Oregon vs. #1 Washington (Dawgs and Ducks meet again for title)

Southland - Katy, TX: #4 New Orleans vs. #2 Abilene Christian (The Privateers seek a 2nd trip in three years while spoiling a potential maiden trip for ACU)

SWAC - Birmingham, AL: #2 Texas Southern vs. #1 Prairie View A&M (Winner here may avoid a trip to Dayton)

WAC - Las Vegas, NV:  #3 Grand Canyon vs. #1 New Mexico State (GCU looks to stop the Aggie juggernaut)

I think Florida locked themselves in with a win against LSU.  Following them this year, it's still a little unbelievable they're in considering their record against the top 25 this season and, really, their record in general.  But Ken Pom has them ranked 28th and they've had chances to beat a lot of really good teams late but can't close.

IUe6Hvh.png

Archived