NHL Seattle Concepts

BobbyB

I've been working on some ideas lately surrounding the name and logo for the future NHL team in Seattle and I wanted to share them here.

I have shared these with the @SeattleSinBin Twitter account and he has posted them to get feedback from Seattle hockey fans. The response has been mixed, with many people seeming to like the logos, but not responding favorably to the color schemes for either concept (too similar to the Portland Timbers and OKC Thunder for many people's liking). I've always felt that the Seattle navy & neon green color scheme would be great for continuity's sake with the Seahawks and Sounders, but not so great for the sake of originality or differentiating ourselves from the blue & green color palette already being used by the Vancouver Canucks.

Here are the concepts:

Seattle Pilots

DpnKu1oU4AAT5rZ.jpg

Seattle Breakers

DqeHW8tW4AITVzS.jpg

I have a couple other ideas for logos that I plan on exploring for Steelheads and Kraken, and I'll see if I can come up with some other options that are a little more unique to the standard list of names being mentioned for the future NHL team.

I saw these on the SinBin Twitter a while ago; it's really great work! Both logos are really cool. The Seattle flag S would work great for a logo component, and you've used it really well.

The Pilots logo is clever and clean. Love how the S becomes a motion line. The jersey needs hem striping, but otherwise, solid.

I love the split S for the Breakers. Only complaint is that, compared to the seal, the rest of the logo is super flat. Perhaps you could remove the highlights from the seal if possible. The uniform looks good as is, but I'd love to see striping matching the split S of the logo!

I second the concerns about looking like our rivals, the Timbers and Thunder, but that's an easy fix, IMO.

Maybe, replace light green with teal or sky blue for the Pilots.

Then, replace orange with kelly and/or replace light blue with teal for the Breakers.

Good job! Besides the rival colors, they feel really Seattle!

Maybe focus on the bright green with navy accents instead of the other way when using the 'Seattle' colors will help keep this looking separate from Vancouver? Great concepts, either way.

Or, looking again at the Breakers concept, go 2000's Seahawks with the double blue and add the bright green accent.

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like the NHL announcement about granting Seattle an expansion team will be made in the morning. I did some slight edits to the color schemes of the concepts I'd been working on:

Seattle Pilots

I submitted this to Uniwatch's call for Seattle NHL concepts recently, so hopefully it will be up on the ESPN site when he makes the post. I changed the colors to align with the Seahawks & Sounders. It feels a little safe to me (I liked the idea of a more bold & original color palette), but it is definitely the most obvious choice for a color scheme to tie in with the rest of Seattle sports.

00kqors.jpg

Seattle Breakers
Changed the color scheme to differentiate it from Seattle's most hated NBA team. I also took @vtgco's feedback into account and added a little more depth to the S wave so it would match the visual treatment of the sea lion better:

vytBMfE.jpg

Seattle Metropolitans

Another logo idea that I've been thinking about for a little while. I don't think this is quite there yet, but I like the idea of using the monogram and keeping it simple for a Metropolitans logo. I've seen some other good Metropolitans concepts, but I was trying to think of a way to pull it off without using the Space Needle or the skyline. For the color scheme, I thought I would bring back the Sonics' green & gold.

Bj4nRu3.jpg

These are all really cool and I particularly am in love with the Seattle Pilots logo you came up with, especially with the original green & green scheme you posted.  I'm a fan of minimalist / classic designs when it comes to sports unis and logos, but I'm wondering if any extra flair / detail can be added to the curved parts of the "S".  It might make the logo too busy, but have you played around with it?

On 12/5/2018 at 6:02 AM, Stevemealone said:

These are all really cool and I particularly am in love with the Seattle Pilots logo you came up with, especially with the original green & green scheme you posted.  I'm a fan of minimalist / classic designs when it comes to sports unis and logos, but I'm wondering if any extra flair / detail can be added to the curved parts of the "S".  It might make the logo too busy, but have you played around with it?

Thanks I'm glad you like them. I'm a fan of a lot of the classic sports logo designs as well. It can be tough to strike the right balance between simple=memorable and simple=boring, but that's the challenge I love about logo design. Here are some of the other explorations I was working on for this concept. I didn't want to overcomplicate it because I liked the basic concept of using the propeller and the having the motion lines represent the "S". I like the logo on the Seattle flag and felt like referencing that general form would tie it closer to Seattle.

VrRCCRk.png

11 hours ago, Flames1fan said:

stop making logos that look the same with that curve. Logo itself looks better 

You mean the "S" shape? The logo on the flag of Seattle is a similar shape to this, so I wanted to reference it as a tie in to the city. Sorry if you're not a fan.

ZcvL240.png

I disagree with the above poster 100%. It's a great tie-in to the city, which it seems logos emphasize more these days, and its flow lends itself well to many applications that fit Seattle--nautical, aeronautic, Art Deco. Keep up the great work!

rATMcmK.png

• 6 months later...

It's been a while since I've posted anything here but ever since the NHL Seattle group started leaking subtle hints a couple weeks ago about a possible color scheme I've been thinking about trying out some other logo variations. It seems like most people think the name will be the Sockeyes since the colors align to Native American history and artwork and the salmon is such a prominent subject of that culture.

I liked the idea of using 2 fish to form an "S" to construct the logo. Finding the right style for the illustration was a challenge because I didn't want to align too closely with any Native American artwork themes or symbols, but still wanted it to feel simple and memorable.

I'm not 100% happy with this and might keep messing around with some of my explorations. I spent a ton of time trying to find the right proportions and balance to make the "S" form instantly readable. Not sure I've struck the right balance with it yet but any design feedback or suggestions are appreciated.

spacer.png

Personally, I think the other concepts are much better (LOVE the green and gold). Not a fan of the color scheme or the two-headed sockeye. If you could find a way to split the sockeye in two but still make it look like an "S", then you'd have me. Just my two cents.

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

I actually think making salmon the primary color and keeping black more of a trim might look really nice, to be honest. But the logo's execution is muddled a bit; I'd agree with Chromatic in splitting the two fish apart while keeping the general shape.

Archived