Your Uniform of Nostalgia

11 hours ago, Trapper John said:

The road with the orange pants. 

floyd_little_hof_autographed_denver_bron

10 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I remember this look from when I was just barely able to get what football was about.  I really thought the Broncos were a blue and red team.  (At that time. I thought the Bears were black and red... 70's TV was rough.)

I always thought that too.  You can't convince that the helmet logo and stripe aren't red.  I had no idea what people were talking about when they started referring to the 1977 defense as the "Orange Crush".

This picture is from the 1977 AFC Championship Game.

Raiders.jpg

I believe Colorwerx (or whatever his name is now) confirmed that the orange was lightened later.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The matchup that got me into the NBA, during the fading twilight of Jordan going against the thorn in everybody's side in Reggie Miller.

7b430dcecacebce14663da89c3bd9e22.jpg

Two of my favorite uniforms of all time in one shot.

The 90s NBA in general holds a wealth of nostalgia for me, but I won't post a ton of pics.  Just a few.

VC-2.jpg

v0297.jpg

knicks-300x4506.jpg?quality=90&strip=all

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

9 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Maybe I'm just old, but when Washington wears their dark jersey, it's as jarring to me as when Dallas wears navy.  Growing up in the Gibbs 1.0 era, they never wore burgundy at home, and teams didn't "force" them into it on the road, like they would occasionally do to Dallas.  I don't know the statistics, but there may have been seasons where they only wore their darks in Dallas.

Google "Mark Rypien Redskins" and only two of over the first hundred or so results show him in his burgundy jersey.

It was the case in 1984. Why is that year so iconic!? It was for me for a long time too, having become a real fan in the Spurrier/Gibbs 2.0 years. All-white looks totally normal to me as well. Honestly burgundy over white still feels like a "fun new thing" to me based on what I've seen. I remember when they elected to wear them against the Eagles in 2012 with RGIII and I loved how he was wearing a new combo.

I liked what someone said earlier about uniforms that they can just barely remember, from when they were just starting to watch football. I have such a distant memory of going to the opener in 2002 against the Cardinals, and in 2003 against the Jets. I distantly remember the Jets game being the first all-white game. And Chad Pennington playing... But for the life of me I can't remember seeing the Cardinals in their pre-2003 uniforms.

Thank you to everyone who's posted. I love seeing all these other people who share these associations.

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

6 hours ago, VancouverFan69 said:

I loved those powder/sky blues. The teams who wore them had/have the colours that blended in nicely. The Expos, Blue Jays, Brewers, Mariners and Phillies were my favourite powder blue MLB uniforms 

I'd say that the only good powder blue uniform was that of the Royals. The rest of them looked pretty silly to me at the time; that sort of road getup on the venerable Cardinals looked downright embarrassing. 

But the Royals' powder blue road set, with its white lettering, was just great. When teams switched their road uniforms from powder blue to grey in the late 80s and early 90s, the Cardinals' and Phillies' uniforms got much better, whereas the Royals experienced a significant downgrade.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Vancouver-Canucks-flying-skate.jpg

This jersey started my love affair with uniforms and sports design as a whole.

First jersey of any sport I ever owned. I thought it was crazy awesome that a team wore a color other than white at home. The golden yellow jerseys really popped against the dingy white of the old Pacific Coliseum. I was so excited to wear it the day after my parents bought it for me that I got up in the middle of the night, put it on, and slept in it until morning. 

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

Because retro Philadelphia team uniforms are already covered here, I'll take a slightly different tack when it comes to nostalgia.  The Sports Specialities Script hat.  I know it pops up in contemporary applications, too, but whenever I see that, it feels a bit jarring.

(Drake holding hand out disapprovingly)

ff_2897623alt3_full.jpg&w=2000

(Drake satisfyingly grinning, eyes closed)

sports+specialties+snapbacks+1.jpg

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

I'll post the same photo of the Celtics bench that was posted earlier, but including their feet because that is the part that brings me back. White jerseys, black shoes at home on the parquet. Also, I was a huge Hakeem Olajuwon fan for some reason and this look, complete with all the knee and elbow pads gets me right in the heart.

hqdefault.jpg91mUcryy2-L._SX425_.jpg

And my only non-basketball one, Ryne Sandberg and his Cubbies. I loved Ryno for a reason I can't remember. I collected his baseball cards and watched him whenever I could. Seeing this makes me feel like a little kid.

chicago-cubs-ryne-sandberg-1990-batting-

20 hours ago, DouglasQuaid said:

Im gonna miss the Vsr4 helmet era. Its the quintessential football helmet and its bitter sweet that its the final season with them. Theres only a handful of players still wearing them (Antonio gates, Thomas Morstead, Adrian Peterson, Ted Ginn, Colt Mccoy). There maybe some more but not too much anymore.

Former-Vikings-DB-Orlando-Thomas-dies.jp

I agree with this so hard. That helmet is how football helmets will always look to me. Of all the helmet models they have the most pleasing shape and the sides provided a beautiful perfectly smooth blank canvas for designs. The other thing I loved about it was the design of the shell stayed mostly the same from the 60's to now while the materials both inside and outside got better. 

Helmets today with all their ridges and holes don't leave a lot of space for logos and I think the facemasks and general look of the helmets are less attractive than a good old fashioned Riddell Vsr helmet with the ridge down the middle. I understand the need for safety, but I feel like a lot of design changes whether it was the Revolution or the Speed were more about imprinting a look that people would recognize of the manufacturer even without a brand logo and less about increased safety. My main point is I think they could've tried harder to make the helmets be just as safe as the Speed without being such a drastic departure in appearance from the Vsr. They just didn't want to remake the Vsr4 for branding purposes, they wanted it to look different. 

It's funny the original post for this thread brought up how Adrian Peterson looks like a 2004ish football player because I thought the exact same thing watching him last week. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

24 minutes ago, agentrygraphics said:

Vancouver-Canucks-flying-skate.jpg

This jersey started my love affair with uniforms and sports design as a whole.

First jersey of any sport I ever owned. I thought it was crazy awesome that a team wore a color other than white at home. The golden yellow jerseys really popped against the dingy white of the old Pacific Coliseum. I was so excited to wear it the day after my parents bought it for me that I got up in the middle of the night, put it on, and slept in it until morning. 

Los-Angeles-Kings-Throwback-Retro-Yellow-Jersey-1980-88.jpg_cf.jpg.83d23728f4eb5c04aed28360f0ffccd4.jpgmedium_Yellow-canucks_yellowjersey.jpg_cf.jpg.c3ff34d456dc6d9c0244dda2c752c9e8.jpg

I echo the same sentiments. The Canucks' home yellow Flying V uniforms really intrigued me as well. When I became a hockey fan, every NHL home uniform I saw on TV was the standard home white. I knew the Canucks wore away black with red and yellow but that was it. As I started to watch Hockey Night In Canada with my dad regularly, I watched the Canucks play in Montreal early in the new NHL season. Black vs White. A couple of weeks later, the Canucks hosted the Rangers. Blue vs Yellow! Canucks won 6-4 as well.? I didn't care what the Flying V looked like. I was in L?VE with the home yellows. The Canucks had a base colour that they owned. Every other team wore home white except the Canucks. That was until I discovered the LA Kings wore home yellow-gold while I was gazing through an issue of the old Hockey Illustrated magazine. Awes♡me, the Canucks had company.

5ec6c8cda69c2a0c3fcf8bc2d53878ba.jpg

I know it was just one game, well two if you count the aways. But This jersey for me was the first time I realized that the Denver broncos had different uniforms that what I was used to and it made this "rare" to me. I think this may be the jersey that kicked off my fascination in uniforms.

636647774069364588-cb40.jpg?width=380&he

I am not now nor ever have been a fan of the suns, but when they made the switch to this uniform, it was the first time I thought uniforms could be "cool"

8 minutes ago, AgentColon2 said:

Mine is less uniform related. But I’m putting it here. 

Black baseball players with some Afro puffing below cap. My favorite being the ever cool U L Washington.

7694e85066304c6f8e86977cc91543c5_front.j

I'll see your U.L Washington and raise you.  Oscar Gamble.

JOSOPY3RBZBADIJ2NLEPGCSYXI.jpg

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

1 hour ago, McCarthy said:

I agree with this so hard. That helmet is how football helmets will always look to me. Of all the helmet models they have the most pleasing shape and the sides provided a beautiful perfectly smooth blank canvas for designs. The other thing I loved about it was the design of the shell stayed mostly the same from the 60's to now while the materials both inside and outside got better. 

Helmets today with all their ridges and holes don't leave a lot of space for logos and I think the facemasks and general look of the helmets are less attractive than a good old fashioned Riddell Vsr helmet with the ridge down the middle. I understand the need for safety, but I feel like a lot of design changes whether it was the Revolution or the Speed were more about imprinting a look that people would recognize of the manufacturer even without a brand logo and less about increased safety. My main point is I think they could've tried harder to make the helmets be just as safe as the Speed without being such a drastic departure in appearance from the Vsr. They just didn't want to remake the Vsr4 for branding purposes, they wanted it to look different. 

It's funny the original post for this thread brought up how Adrian Peterson looks like a 2004ish football player because I thought the exact same thing watching him last week. 

Yeah that was implied in my post that started this thread, but I'm glad others are talking about it so clearly. Peterson looks so appealing on the field because of that helmet. I'm really going to miss seeing it in use. I hate the way the new helmets look.

What could become the new standard "logo helmet?" At some point, it'll happen. In 1987 the Pigskins were still using the two-bar helmet in their endzone. I would assume they upgraded to the VS4 in 1997 at FedEx?

WAS_1987%5E1.png

WAS_2013-2014%5E1.png

Also when did their font change? Also '97? '02? Anybody know? That new font is so much more how I think of the team than the older one that's a bit less perfect.

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

5 hours ago, GMW79 said:

Blue Jays great, Danny Ainge!

It's probably no surprise a BYU fan chose Danny Ainge and Dale Murphy...

As a Cubs and Twins fan, I'm surprised I forgot to include these two to the sky blues, though I'm not quite old enough for them to make me nostalgic:

GettyImages-129752690.0.jpg

Carew_2.jpg

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

13 hours ago, tajmccall said:

As a kid, I felt like the Cunningham-era Eagles did the same thing.

They really didn't.  They'd wear white for the first or first two home games, then green the rest.  A quick spot check on the greatest website ever seems to confirm that.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 11/2/2018 at 7:15 AM, VandyDelphia Mike said:

Because retro Philadelphia team uniforms are already covered here, I'll take a slightly different tack when it comes to nostalgia.  The Sports Specialities Script hat.  I know it pops up in contemporary applications, too, but whenever I see that, it feels a bit jarring.

(Drake holding hand out disapprovingly)

ff_2897623alt3_full.jpg&w=2000

(Drake satisfyingly grinning, eyes closed)

sports+specialties+snapbacks+1.jpg

I love those script hats! I still have my OG LA Raiders and LA Kings.

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26

Archived