New Logo for Regal Cinema

WJMorris3

They should have just gone with an updated crown.  I get that the new logo is a crown from above but it isn't translating at all.  Looks like a tool company logo actually.

The font is an upgrade by default but is pretty uninspiring.

Monochrome is good but I don't get why they picked a color that wasn't even present in their old logo.

I agree with Kaz in that it looks like a tool maker, especially with Black & Decker owning the color orange in that world. I think they tried to get too cute in going for a crown, and it got lost. It looks more like a socket wrench bit. Even the wide font screams tools.

And @willmorris, I'm sure with a new branding will come a new opener. Sucks. I like that roller coaster.

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

If you look at the Brand Guidelines they also released and read down a few pages, you get a better idea on what they were trying with the new "crown".

It appears they are also alluding to a camera aperature, and you can see when they give the logo some depth and texture making it slightly 3D the crown works.

It doesn't really improve what the final product is, but it makes a little more sense in context.

its still not a great logo or identity, but it finally feels like something you could build a graphic language, and in turn a brand, around. execution leaves something to be desireed, but i dig the idea. and as usual, Armin nails it

"I don’t think the goal of the static logo is to look like a crown but that once you see the logo in animation then you will always think of a crown when you see the logo. Most people that interact with this logo will be because they are going to the cinema where they will eventually see the animation, so it’s a nice subtle way to build extra meaning into the icon. 

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

The previous (current?) logo looks like a board game to me.  All I see is Parcheesi, Trouble, Sorry, etc. with the four-quadrant red, blue, yellow and green.

I was glad they're updating it.

Until I saw the new one. 

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

It's a really good and clever logo. Huge upgrade. 

Just wish their supporting typefaces and their layouts were a little more adventurous. They look like something that would have been a part of a brand refresh 10 years ago:

regal_cinemas_typography.jpg

On 11/1/2018 at 3:42 PM, Kaz said:

They should have just gone with an updated crown.  I get that the new logo is a crown from above but it isn't translating at all.  Looks like a tool company logo actually.

On 11/2/2018 at 2:35 PM, stumpygremlin said:

I agree with Kaz in that it looks like a tool maker, especially with Black & Decker owning the color orange in that world. I think they tried to get too cute in going for a crown, and it got lost. It looks more like a socket wrench bit. Even the wide font screams tools.

I agree with both of the bolded parts.  That said, I see this is a slight upgrade.

As simple as it is, I like the font.  In particular, I really like the way in looks in the vertical orientation.

regal_cinemas_overview.jpg

I have no idea how many of their theaters have a location allowing for that usage (I'm not even sure if my local Regal does).  However, I think that looks really sharp.

Maybe in locations where there is not a wall like the one in the picture, they can use old school vertical theater-style signage.

5206b5776c8529673c077cf53dbe6799.jpg4449f288cb72a6b986fcb735c1603d78.jpgwpid-photo-apr-11-2014-642-pm.jpg

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Archived