MLS Kits 2019

WarriorFight

2 hours ago, WarriorFight said:

Saputo teasing something for tomorrow? Anyone heard anything about what this might be about?

hellooooooooo CPL

The Danimal said:
Texas is the state that gave us George W. Bush and Sarah Palin. 'Nuff said.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

"...wasn't ever dangerous but there was an edge that's been lost."

Obviously stereotyping but hopefully it can help explain. It's when you see a shift from rabid fans, knowledgeable in the sport, drinking beer, and chanting humorous, albeit off color jabs, to more business types, sipping wine, who are offended by the chants and politely ask you to sit down during the match so they can see while sitting. It's just a much more sanitized experience.

Maybe it's just the evolution of the MLS? Who knows. But I much prefer the more raucous atmosphere that was wild, yet safe enough for me to feel comfortable bringing my 9 year old in to. 

Does that make any sense?

It does, in a way.  I hear this complaint often, but if you’ll forgive me it often comes across as preferring MLS as a niche sport, an exclusive club.  Not you, necessarily, I don’t want to put words in your mouth, but in many cases. 

Is anyone telling you that you can no longer drink beer and chant humorous, albeit off-color jabs?  Or is the problem that you can do so, but the club is also trying to market to business types who sip wine?

We had a SG break away in no small part because we encouraged kids to come to matches, even asked for and received a special family section on the far side of the Stadium, and therefore couldn’t possibly be “hard” enough.  And that is indeed part of the evolution of MLS.  As the sport grows, “ultras” will have to share their stadium with people who will want a slightly different personal experience.  

And that’s okay, nobody’s wrong in what they want from the league.  Seems to me that the stadiums are big enough for everybody. 

1 hour ago, ManuelCh said:

I can just guess but maybe their going to announce some sort of upgrade to their franchise?

Well I thought it could be that they're starting an NWSL franchise, which would make sense for Saputo to be the one giving the conference as opposed to the Impact as a club.

spacer.png

8 hours ago, upperV03 said:

0Z4tncy.jpg

Looks like the shirt will have a subtle graphic print, though I can’t quite make out what it is.

I think the pattern is the Germany away pattern from last year's World Cup. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

44 minutes ago, WarriorFight said:

Well I thought it could be that they're starting an NWSL franchise, which would make sense for Saputo to be the one giving the conference as opposed to the Impact as a club.

Further rumors are that Saputo is giving up his "president" title to a guy who used to run the Habs. Not uniform related! But maybe it'll be a step toward Montreal finally being run like a big-time club.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

2 hours ago, Digby said:

Further rumors are that Saputo is giving up his "president" title to a guy who used to run the Habs. Not uniform related! But maybe it'll be a step toward Montreal finally being run like a big-time club.

Honestly I hope that's the case.

Saputo being involved with Bologna has brought in a few decent players to MTL (really Dzemali and Taider), but MTL should be a big-time team in this league. The fact that Toronto is but only has been since c. 2013/2014 means that it's very possible for MTL to hit that. 

spacer.png

15 hours ago, Gothamite said:

It does, in a way.  I hear this complaint often, but if you’ll forgive me it often comes across as preferring MLS as a niche sport, an exclusive club.  Not you, necessarily, I don’t want to put words in your mouth, but in many cases. 

Is anyone telling you that you can no longer drink beer and chant humorous, albeit off-color jabs?  Or is the problem that you can do so, but the club is also trying to market to business types who sip wine?

We had a SG break away in no small part because we encouraged kids to come to matches, even asked for and received a special family section on the far side of the Stadium, and therefore couldn’t possibly be “hard” enough.  And that is indeed part of the evolution of MLS.  As the sport grows, “ultras” will have to share their stadium with people who will want a slightly different personal experience.  

And that’s okay, nobody’s wrong in what they want from the league.  Seems to me that the stadiums are big enough for everybody. 

Makes total sense, and I'd be all for it if the team had been having trouble filling seats. But that wasn't the case. The seats were a very hot ticket when the crowd wasn't as bland, and now that the experience has been diluted, tickets are easy to come by. I guess maybe the team doesn't see the start of the decline starting at the same point as I do. I contend it was them doing this that has caused the decline. They'd probably say they are doing it to counteract a decline.  

You are right, the stadium is plenty large enough for everyone. But the trend has been to weed out the ultras and that behavior and replace them with the casual fans. Let the ultra section and sections around it be raucous and have family or business sections on the other side of the stadium. 

Yeah I don’t particularly like that kit for LAFC. It’s not terrible but their first year designs were pretty good with the team colors. Is that design an adidas recycled pattern? I don’t recognize it.

I recall LAFC listed red as a tertiary accent color. That could be a nice color to use, perhaps mixed with white or gold. I’m not sure if it would work as the main color for an alternate kit since there has to be substantial contrast from the black. But that could give them some more options for color variations.

I am open to alternative colors on the road as it’s extremely common in global soccer. A lot of the newer clubs are still finding their identity beyond their primary kits. Maybe one day we’ll be saying white or gray is a classic LAFC secondary kit in the same way we consider blue traditional for Manchester United and yellow and blue for Arsenal. These established identities will take time to develop.

4 hours ago, njdevs7 said:

Meh. Don't really like this for LAFC. Why not use gold trim/badge? Grey? And not a fan of another white alternate especially when LA Galaxy wears white.

lafc-2019-away-kit-lk-1.jpg

I wasn't sure if Adidas were going to use that type of sleeve this year. I like the kit tho. 

32 minutes ago, njdevs7 said:

Meh. Don't really like this for LAFC. Why not use gold trim/badge? Grey? And not a fan of another white alternate especially when LA Galaxy wears white.

lafc-2019-away-kit-lk-1.jpg

Honestly, it's not as bad as I thought it would be. The Red doesn't clash as much with the grey-and-white as it did with the gold last year. Imo.

I don't dislike it, but I already like it more than our last secondary.

spacer.png

40 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

Makes total sense, and I'd be all for it if the team had been having trouble filling seats. But that wasn't the case. The seats were a very hot ticket when the crowd wasn't as bland, and now that the experience has been diluted, tickets are easy to come by. I guess maybe the team doesn't see the start of the decline starting at the same point as I do. I contend it was them doing this that has caused the decline. They'd probably say they are doing it to counteract a decline.  

You are right, the stadium is plenty large enough for everyone. But the trend has been to weed out the ultras and that behavior and replace them with the casual fans. Let the ultra section and sections around it be raucous and have family or business sections on the other side of the stadium. 

The Timbers fan in me would like to point out that Seattle's "rowdy ultras" were a corporately contrived atmosphere gimmick from the start.  You have a "official marching band" for crying out loud. 

The fact that the franchise is shifting their support towards wine drinkers and young families and you're noticing a tangible change in atmosphere just goes to show that there was nothing organic or authentic about the Sounders fan experience to begin with.  The hubub around the jersey sponsor underlies this point.  If your fandom is even tangentially affected by XBOX vs Zulily, it was a pretty fair weather fandom to begin with. 

Judging by what I've read on social media, there are a LOT of Sounders fans more viscerally upset by their jersey sponsor than they were by losing to their rivals in the playoffs.

14 hours ago, Digby said:

Yup..that's it. I figured it was too soon for CPL (though I keep hearing rumors about it). 

https://www.impactmontreal.com/en/post/2019/01/22/kevin-gilmore-named-president-montreal-impact

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

8 minutes ago, Duck_Duck said:

The Timbers fan in me would like to point out that Seattle's "rowdy ultras" were a corporately contrived atmosphere gimmick from the start.  You have a "official marching band" for crying out loud. 

The fact that the franchise is shifting their support towards wine drinkers and young families and you're noticing a tangible change in atmosphere just goes to show that there was nothing organic or authentic about the Sounders fan experience to begin with.  The hubub around the jersey sponsor underlies this point.  If your fandom is even tangentially affected by XBOX vs Zulily, it was a pretty fair weather fandom to begin with. 

Judging by what I've read on social media, there are a LOT of Sounders fans more viscerally upset by their jersey sponsor than they were by losing to their rivals in the playoffs.

I'd argue that the ECS was true, organic, but has kind of lost its soul trying to fit in. (Marching band had nothing to do with the supporters).

I've said for a while now that I admire the Timber supporters and how they do their business. Gets me a lot of hate from my fellow Sounders fans but my point is, be perceptive enough to admit that they are doing it right and we aren't. I can dislike you and admire you at the same time. 

24 minutes ago, mr.negative15 said:

Yup..that's it. I figured it was too soon for CPL (though I keep hearing rumors about it). 

https://www.impactmontreal.com/en/post/2019/01/22/kevin-gilmore-named-president-montreal-impact

I doubt any of the MLS canadian clubs leave MLS before the CPL catches up enough, but if MLS keeps progressing, I don't know how that happens. Unless CONCACAF comes down on them all like they tried to do with the Ottawa Fury.

spacer.png

I think Timber Joey is so corny. No one fanbase is appreciably better than the others. Except for Boston fans who are the worst in every sport.

I don't think the Sounders game day experience has changed much in the past decade I've been going to games, except that the novelty has worn off. Sounders used to be the new sport in town. Now it's a decade, the team is generally always good, and eventually, soccer is what it is.

The games still start with a golden scarf and the national anthem. They still ask people from the crowd to kick a ball into a cardboard Nissan at halftime. People still stand up the entire game (except in the club seats where they shouldn't and if you do you can go to hell). The ECS still does the "we don't hear a :censored:ing thing" song. Other than Sounders matches not being new, I'm not sure what exactly has changed.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Archived