MLS Kits 2019

WarriorFight

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Digby said:

I feel like the logo clashes even worse with the Reign's design. Although at least the printing is appropriately sized for them; doesn't it seem like they printed it at 80% scale on the Sounders example?

46729073572_12698f31d9_k.jpg

Maybe this has been addressed and I missed it, but I thought the Reign and the Sounders were unaffiliated. I was under the impression it was just the Orlando, Houston, Salt Lake and Portland MLS franchises that shared ownership with NWSL clubs. 

Of course, that doesn't preclude a sponsor from reaching jersey deals with either club. It's just odd to me that they're being presented jointly if they're unaffiliated. 

They are unaffiliated.   But the Sounders have been playing up that this is a big deal, the same company sponsoring both teams.

"When searching for our next primary kit partner, we approached the process thoughtfully and with considerations beyond merely the front of our jersey," said Sounders FC Owner Adrian Hanauer. "In Zulily, we have found a first class, Seattle-based organization that is not only invested in our community, but has made meaningful commitments to the growth of our sport throughout the region. Today's news doesn't just impact the future of Sounders FC, but it also supports youth soccer across the Puget Sound and the women's game for years to come. Zulily's desire to unify both professional franchises under one banner was something that stood out to us during this process, and speaks directly to our communal approach to the game in Seattle. On behalf of Sounders FC and our fan base, we could not be more thrilled to welcome Zulily into the Rave Green family."

Guess that's what $4+ million per year will buy you, a nice line in the press release.

What it won't buy, apparently, is S2.  The USL side will have a different sponsor, yet to be unveiled.

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

Guess that's what $4+ million per year will buy you, a nice line in the press release.

Honestly the Sounders' rhetoric has become tiresome. Constantly letting everyone know how honorable, progressive and charitable they are. Fine but how about you care more about your fans and play on the pitch, than patting yourself on the back? 

49 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

Honestly the Sounders' rhetoric has become tiresome. Constantly letting everyone know how honorable, progressive and charitable they are. Fine but how about you care more about your fans and play on the pitch, than patting yourself on the back? 

Yikes.  Other than not having won the league in the last two whole seasons, what do you think they’re not doing?

45 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Yikes.  Other than not having won the league in the last two whole seasons, what do you think they’re not doing?

Well they pulled a rabbit out of the hat for the last 3 seasons. All things considered we are more fortunate than most for sure.

But... it's been a gradual degradation of the relationship between the front office and the fanbase. The neutering year after year of the once rockus ECS supporters group (can't risk offending anyone) and then the ongoing increase of in-match entertainment seemingly meant to keep the interest of casual soccer fans has made a one-time hot ticket experience ho hum. Whereas my tickets would sell instantly in years past, the last 2 seasons I've had to eat tickets I can't use as they just don't sell anymore. 

So, I guess my point is I'd rather the team concentrate on getting back to a true, first-rate soccer experience that has some grit, teeth and leave the fuzzy feel good stuff alone. This sponsorship deal just seems like yet another step away from hard core soccer. 

3 hours ago, Gothamite said:

They are unaffiliated.   But the Sounders have been playing up that this is a big deal, the same company sponsoring both teams.

What it won't buy, apparently, is S2.  The USL side will have a different sponsor, yet to be unveiled.

S2 should be rebranding to Tacoma soon... I would anticipate a more locally based sponsor there.

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

This sponsorship deal just seems like yet another step away from hard core soccer. 

It’s only a step away, @hawk36, if you think a person can’t chew gum and walk at the same time.

They improved their deal from last time - more money coming into the club. What’s to complain about that?

As for “pulling a rabbit out of the hat”, that sounds to me like a playoff system. I know a lot of fans who would be pretty happy being only two years removed from a championship. 😛 

41 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

They improved their deal from last time - more money coming into the club. What’s to complain about that?

Money wise sure, but I guess you'd have to be in the environment to get where I'm coming from as it's hard to explain. On its own it's totally fine, but for me it's just another alienating straw on this camel's back. We'll see where it goes though.

12 hours ago, hawk36 said:

Money wise sure, but I guess you'd have to be in the environment to get where I'm coming from as it's hard to explain. On its own it's totally fine, but for me it's just another alienating straw on this camel's back. We'll see where it goes though.

As a Crew fan let me say, be happy they actually care about the fans that are in that stadium instead of letting the team and stadium literally fall apart. I'll agree, when I'm at San Antonio FC games I hate the emcee that's talking over the game but it appears that this is something that's intruding in all sports. In baseball and football there are enough natural breaks in play to sneak those in. SAFC dialed them back last year so hopefully that will continue as well. The Sounders have to make their games desirable for more than just the supporters group. Otherwise they don't make money.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Regarding Zulily, I just hate that they are part of the growing online dystopia where all your data is mined for profit and your privacy is breached so that ads can pop up for a brand of shoe you looked at 3 minutes ago. Increasingly online reviews are faked, AI is being used in comments and everything is low quality crap sold at a higher margin because online retailers like Amazon had built a good reputation they are well on their way to tearing down.

The Sounders have been something of an enigma the past few years... they’ve started the past three seasons horribly and then go absolutely bonkers in the second half and made the playoffs. They won MLS cup despite being the less talented team in that match and then ran out of steam in the final and quarters the last two years.

There is a recognition that the team’s salaries are being held back by MLS who controls all contracts centrally. When you draw 40k a night you can afford 3 DPs but they would only field 2 big money DPs and then always say Ozzie Alonso was magically the third even though his contract always floated on the borderline. They are also left out of the running for most big “name” players, with Dempsey the notable exception (even then they were forced to trade fan favorite Steve Zakuani). 

Off the field they fired popular broadcaster  Ross Fletcher for reasons completely unknown and replaced him with card-carrying Timbers supporter Keith Costigan. In eastern Washington it’s easier to watch the Timbers on ROOT than it is the Sounders. They need to build their own stadium or force the stadium to put in grassmaster or another surface that doesn’t allow LAG to push the false narrative their artificial turf causes more injuries.

Ok, rant over.

Someday I believe we can rid ourselves of the scourge of jersey ads, but it has to be done at the international level so no one has an unfair advantage.

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

MLS is having their annual media day today, which in the past couple years has produced at least a few kit leaks. So far today I’ve been able to find this shot of the full Toronto primary (previously we’d only seen the leak of the shirt):

npO2zz0.jpg

And this shot of the shorts and socks of the new NYCFC primary (again, we’d only seen the shirt before this):

JIKe5Z9.jpg

In that shot of Moralez, you can also see the side of the new anthem jacket. Here’s a look at the front of the new NYCFC anthem jacket:

sSdNS3s.jpg

You can also see the collar of the new home shirt peaking through Medina’s jacket. In the leaks of the replica version of new NYCFC home shirt, the collar was plain light blue, but it looks like the authentic version will have navy blue piping.

Also of note is that, from the shots of Altidore and Medina, it looks like the Adidas logo is moving to the front of the shorts this year. In the past the Adidas logo has been on the back of the shorts.

Also, here’s a few more looks at some of the other teams’ new anthem jackets (the last four images are from eMLS players):

DxOsC7kUwAUYs80?format=jpg&name=large

DxSIM_eWkAEzNg3?format=jpg&name=large

DxOw5BHUwAAHoOj?format=jpg&name=large

DxOy_pjV4AAKGg_?format=jpg&name=large

DxPEgioWkAEu9GB?format=jpg&name=large

DwlAz6kW0AQast7?format=jpg&name=large

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

5 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

As a Crew fan let me say, be happy they actually care about the fans that are in that stadium instead of letting the team and stadium literally fall apart. I'll agree, when I'm at San Antonio FC games I hate the emcee that's talking over the game but it appears that this is something that's intruding in all sports. In baseball and football there are enough natural breaks in play to sneak those in. SAFC dialed them back last year so hopefully that will continue as well. The Sounders have to make their games desirable for more than just the supporters group. Otherwise they don't make money.

I moved to LA before LAFC was a club, and I wanted to have an MLS team. So I went to a bunch of Galaxy games, and I just couldn't do it. It felt like a Single-A baseball game, calling out birthdays and stuff like that. Couldn't stand the MC.

LAFC has an announcer for key events, like goals, cards, subs, etc, and that's it. He's not talking through the whole game, and during breaks they show videos or interviews with the players. Just atmospherically, I vastly prefer the vibe LAFC has. It feels more professional to me.

I imagine with USL, my problems with the galaxy are probably exacerbated because it's a tier below MLS, but I think everything around the game is improving. The approach to it by the clubs and their people, and from the fan side too. 

spacer.png

4 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

MLS is having their annual media day today, which in the past couple years has produced at least a few kit leaks. So far today I’ve been able to find this shot of the full Toronto primary (previously we’d only seen the leak of the shirt):

npO2zz0.jpg

And this shot of the shorts and socks of the new NYCFC primary (again, we’d only seen the shirt before this):

JIKe5Z9.jpg

In that shot of Moralez, you can also see the side of the new anthem jacket. Here’s a look at the front of the new NYCFC anthem jacket:

sSdNS3s.jpg

You can also see the collar of the new home shirt peaking through Medina’s jacket. In the leaks of the replica version of new NYCFC home shirt, the collar was plain light blue, but it looks like the authentic version will have navy blue piping.

Also of note is that, from the shots of Altidore and Medina, it looks like the Adidas logo is moving to the front of the shorts this year. In the past the Adidas logo has been on the back of the shorts.

Also, here’s a few more looks at some of the other teams’ new anthem jackets (the last four images are from eMLS players):

DxOsC7kUwAUYs80?format=jpg&name=large

DxSIM_eWkAEzNg3?format=jpg&name=large

DxOw5BHUwAAHoOj?format=jpg&name=large

DxOy_pjV4AAKGg_?format=jpg&name=large

DxPEgioWkAEu9GB?format=jpg&name=large

DwlAz6kW0AQast7?format=jpg&name=large

Thank god NYC is having the blue piping on the collar. The solid light blue was way too unbalanced contrasted to the stripe. 

And I really don't dislike Toronto's kit as much as others. Yeah it's solid red and maybe a bit "boring", but it looks pretty classy. I would have hoped they'd use grey shorts, but as is, I think its perfectly fine.

spacer.png

47 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

The jackets have "Official Garment" all the way up the arms!?!? At least use their teem credo or something!

Those jackets for Adidas’ big clubs and national teams have the team/country name in the stripe on the arms:

Juventus_Anthem_Jacket_White_DP3923_01_l

adidas-mexico-2019-gold-cup-anthem-jacke

It’s not surprising that Adidas didn’t do that for all of the MLS clubs, though. They can save time and money in the production process by just having all of the MLS ones be recolored versions of the basic template instead of adding in the team name for all 24 clubs.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

30 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

Those jackets for Adidas’ big clubs and national teams have the team/country name in the stripe on the arms:

Juventus_Anthem_Jacket_White_DP3923_01_l

adidas-mexico-2019-gold-cup-anthem-jacke

It’s not surprising that Adidas didn’t do that for all of the MLS clubs, though. They can save time and money in the production process by just having all of the MLS ones be recolored versions of the basic template instead of adding in the team name for all 24 clubs.

Or just follow the same idea for all of their teams. It looks pretty bad when you compare them to the bigger teams adidas outfits.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived