MLS Kits 2019

WarriorFight

3 minutes ago, WarriorFight said:

I doubt any of the MLS canadian clubs leave MLS before the CPL catches up enough, but if MLS keeps progressing, I don't know how that happens. Unless CONCACAF comes down on them all like they tried to do with the Ottawa Fury.

I get it. I still think that way too but I've posted about it on here before......there's a rumour that won't go away 100% that Joey would rather be the big fish in the small pond kind of thing. 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

I think Timber Joey is so corny. No one fanbase is appreciably better than the others. Except for Boston fans who are the worst in every sport.

Joke's on you, no one cares about the Revs!

8 minutes ago, mr.negative15 said:

I get it. I still think that way too but I've posted about it on here before......there's a rumour that won't go away 100% that Joey would rather be the big fish in the small pond kind of thing. 

To some extent it makes sense and it feels like this could be a litmus test. Can even a huge, non-TO Canadian market thrive in a non-hockey American league these days?

1 hour ago, aawagner011 said:

Yeah I don’t particularly like that kit for LAFC. It’s not terrible but their first year designs were pretty good with the team colors. Is that design an adidas recycled pattern? I don’t recognize it.

I recall LAFC listed red as a tertiary accent color. That could be a nice color to use, perhaps mixed with white or gold. I’m not sure if it would work as the main color for an alternate kit since there has to be substantial contrast from the black. But that could give them some more options for color variations.

I am open to alternative colors on the road as it’s extremely common in global soccer. A lot of the newer clubs are still finding their identity beyond their primary kits. Maybe one day we’ll be saying white or gray is a classic LAFC secondary kit in the same way we consider blue traditional for Manchester United and yellow and blue for Arsenal. These established identities will take time to develop.

The alternative color thing seems like it's had very mixed results in MLS. You had teams like Portland and NYRB who were doing that rather consistently and successfully, but both gave that up in favor of color swaps last year. But you've also got Colorado who are (still?) doing it very well, and also the teams like New England and Seattle who've been a little all over the place. I thought maybe the league or Adidas was going away from that in the same way they went away from third kits, but who knows.

I can kinda see both ways; I like the sorts of traditions that you mention, but I can see why simple color-swaps are boring for us kit nerds but desirable for the bean counters, when MLS is still in a growth stage and its teams are still establishing their brands and roots. Of course, the whole City scheme and frequent uniform changes over the NBA are pretty obviously inspired by world soccer trends for better or worse, and maybe that'll change the calculus for MLS teams selling shirts, too.

I like the LAFC shirt if only because I don't like metallic gold as an accent on white, at least not without a healthy does of a dark third color. That's kind of a cool kit design that doesn't look all that Galaxy to me.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

40 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

I think Timber Joey is so corny. No one fanbase is appreciably better than the others. Except for Boston fans who are the worst in every sport.

I don't think the Sounders game day experience has changed much in the past decade I've been going to games, except that the novelty has worn off. Sounders used to be the new sport in town. Now it's a decade, the team is generally always good, and eventually, soccer is what it is.

The games still start with a golden scarf and the national anthem. They still ask people from the crowd to kick a ball into a cardboard Nissan at halftime. People still stand up the entire game (except in the club seats where they shouldn't and if you do you can go to hell). The ECS still does the "we don't hear a :censored:ing thing" song. Other than Sounders matches not being new, I'm not sure what exactly has changed.

See, I wouldn't know anything about it.  I've never been to a Sounders match.  I'm just going off what I've heard from friends in Seattle and Hawk36's laments.  Sounds like something has clearly changed in recent years, but I don't know.  Maybe the cardboard Nissan just doesn't inspire the same fervor that it once did.

14 minutes ago, Beantown77 said:

23 year Revs season ticket holder and longtime Midnight Riders e-board member here. Do go on...

Oh, so you're the one!

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

4 hours ago, Duck_Duck said:

The fact that the franchise is shifting their support towards wine drinkers and young families and you're noticing a tangible change in atmosphere just goes to show that there was nothing organic or authentic about the Sounders fan experience to begin with. 

Oh, those words. 

Time for every supporter to retire those words from their vocabulary.  They’re meaningless, even as a bludgeon.

5 hours ago, njdevs7 said:

Meh. Don't really like this for LAFC. Why not use gold trim/badge? Grey? And not a fan of another white alternate especially when LA Galaxy wears white.

lafc-2019-away-kit-lk-1.jpg

Is this pattern intentionally mimicking concrete . . .  or am I just seeing it?

30 minutes ago, Duck_Duck said:

Explain?  Because I certainly disagree.

I mean they’re only used by supporters to insult other supporters, and they have no objective meaning.

Does being recognized by the club make a group less “organic”?   If the board is principally women, is it less “authentic”?  I’ve heard both of those in my time.

”Inorganic” is an epithet lobbed at expansion sides by pro/rel truthers.  According to them, any club that starts with an expansion fee can’t possibly qualify. 

They mean nothing but what the people who lob them as insults want them to mean.  They contribute nothing positive to a conversation and should be retired. 

5 hours ago, hawk36 said:

Makes total sense, and I'd be all for it if the team had been having trouble filling seats. But that wasn't the case. The seats were a very hot ticket when the crowd wasn't as bland, and now that the experience has been diluted, tickets are easy to come by. I guess maybe the team doesn't see the start of the decline starting at the same point as I do. I contend it was them doing this that has caused the decline. They'd probably say they are doing it to counteract a decline.  

You are right, the stadium is plenty large enough for everyone. But the trend has been to weed out the ultras and that behavior and replace them with the casual fans. Let the ultra section and sections around it be raucous and have family or business sections on the other side of the stadium. 

So what precisely is it that you’re no longer allowed to do?  How exactly has the experience been “diluted”?

Here are a few more looks at the new star on the returning white and peach kits for Atlanta. Still no word on the new striped kit, though supposedly Julian Gressel was wearing it under a jacket today (according to a Twitter Q&A) so there might be some leaks or hints out there somewhere.

Edit- I’ll add that Atlanta fans are expecting a similar design as the old one but perhaps heavier on the black and with red adidas stripes. We’ve seen a lot of the new 2019 training line with that theme- pullovers, training tops, polos, shorts all with that design.

59CtImy.jpg

CDwo5PC.jpg

5u9Qruf.jpg

9Dp8CMC.jpg

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

I mean they’re only used by supporters to insult other supporters, and they have no objective meaning.

Does being recognized by the club make a group less “organic”?   If the board is principally women, is it less “authentic”?  I’ve heard both of those in my time.

”Inorganic” is an epithet lobbed at expansion sides by pro/rel truthers.  According to them, any club that starts with an expansion fee can’t possibly qualify. 

They mean nothing but what the people who lob them as insults want them to mean.  They contribute nothing positive to a conversation and should be retired. 

Hmmm.... yeah, no.   I did use the word and I meant none of these things that you're associating with it.  Pretty sure in the context of our discussion their meaning was clear and contributed to my point.  Wasn't meant as an insult or an epithet, and I don't think hawks36 took it that way either.

46 minutes ago, njdevs7 said:

Thats a pretty clean look as far as sponsors get. And I like that they are using the chest stripe in their identity again 

Agreed, that's a great look for Chicago.  I would hope they get the opportunity to mix and match some too.  W/R/W and R/W/R would both work well here too.

Agreed with all, sharp all around! I want to complain about how the chest stripe width and pattern on the new away doesn't quite match the home, despite the rest of it coming real close. If that's the biggest problem, things aren't bad.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

Archived