MLS Kits 2019

WarriorFight

1 minute ago, JTernup said:

Yeah, I'm not blaming anyone in particular. I just think original clubs and their fans are justified in feeling that they are more authentic and organic than newer clubs. That was the comment that this entire post was based on. 

Eh. You're entitled to feel that way, and sure, time has a natural effect on affection for one's team. But beyond that I think all MLS fans are floating around the same milieu. Colorado Rapids and NYCFC were both founded by sleazy mega-rich arseholes, it's just that one came about before the league had a clue and one came about afterward. I don't think one has a stronger claim to community and authenticity than the other.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Digby said:

Eh. You're entitled to feel that way, and sure, time has a natural effect on affection for one's team. But beyond that I think all MLS fans are floating around the same milieu. Colorado Rapids and NYCFC were both founded by sleazy mega-rich arseholes, it's just that one came about before the league had a clue and one came about afterward. I don't think one has a stronger claim to community and authenticity than the other.

Well that wasn't quite my point. I said:

"Why wouldn't someone like me who has supported an inept club through thick and thin, a club who will likely never become MLS elite, and had a 20 year head start that actually put us behind be frustrated by that. All we have is our struggle, our authentic and organic supporter culture, and a love for our club that frankly an ATL fan can't develop in two years."

That says very little about the authentic or organic nature of the club itself but rather the supporter culture that has either developed over 25 years or was developed by the club for marketing purposes. That is what was originally the claim, that Sounders were scrubbing the supporter and fan culture to be more friendly, thus less organic and authentic. 

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

29 minutes ago, JTernup said:

Surely you can see why a supporter of an original member of MLS would feel that their club had a more organic start as it relates to US soccer and supporter culture than a lot of these recent upstart clubs. I consider Seattle and Portland to be much closer to our group than what has happened with NYC, LAFC, ATL, and Inter Miami.

And even though there are many on the board that disagree, I feel most Sounders' supporters see the Sounders as starting in 1974. Different owners, different franchises, different leagues, but the constant being the city, name, and fans, or children of those fans. In fact the Emerald City Supporters came from at least as far back as the old USL Sounders. Sure there are contrived aspects but overall I'd say the ECS was pretty organic and natural but may be teetering toward corporate just a bit. 

So, by that rationale... if it was the New York Cosmos playing at Yankee Stadium, instead of a Manchester City offshoot, we might think more highly of their supporters? Or same deal if Atlanta United picked up the Silverbacks or Chiefs name?

Because it'll end up being mostly the same people, for the most part!

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

59 minutes ago, JTernup said:

Well that wasn't quite my point. I said:

"Why wouldn't someone like me who has supported an inept club through thick and thin, a club who will likely never become MLS elite, and had a 20 year head start that actually put us behind be frustrated by that. All we have is our struggle, our authentic and organic supporter culture, and a love for our club that frankly an ATL fan can't develop in two years.”

That’s patent nonsense.  You’re farther along, to be sure, but your experience is no more “authentic” than anyone else’s.

Every single club came about because some rich ownership group applied and paid for a spot in the league.  Every single supporter group came about because some fans decided they wanted to organize.  End of story. 

What you're really describing is the loss of exclusivity, as your niche sport becomes increasingly mainstreamed.  Which is as beneficial as it was inevitable. 

I wonder if MetroStars fans felt the same way about Chicago Fire supporters in 1998?  At what point did “more Authentic than thou” become a thing?

1 hour ago, JTernup said:

Yeah, I'm not blaming anyone in particular. I just think original clubs and their fans are justified in feeling that they are more authentic and organic than newer clubs.

You're free to think what you like. That said, original Major League Soccer teams and their fans are no more "authentic and organic" than newer MLS sides. I mean, just how "authentic and organic" can they be? Let's face it... we're not talking about Manchester United F.C. being able to trace its roots to an amateur side drawn from the Carriage & Wagon division of Lancaster and Yorkshire Railway Company in the 1870s. At the end of the day, MLS teams have always been profit-driven businesses. Period.     

The ten teams that took the field back in 1996 were franchises with operating rights that were acquired by investors in a single-entity business venture dubbed Major League Soccer. The league's original investors - just like those acquiring operating rights to MLS franchises today - were looking to see a return on their investment. Undoubtedly, not right away... maybe, not much of a profit... but yesteryear's MLS investor/operators, just like today's, got involved with the league - and the sport - in the hope of making money. Pure and simple.

Ditto for Major League Soccer's original players. They weren't making much money, but they were being paid to play a sport. Any portion of their incomes that they could make without having to place cold-calls from a cubicle, lug sample cases into a retail establishment, or operate heavy machinery was a bonus.

Those of us who are MLS supporters - whether rooting-on original teams, or the newcomers - are, as Jerry Seinfeld would say, simply "cheering for laundry". Is the experience entertaining? Without a doubt. Do we build a sense of kinship with our fellow fans? Certainly. Do we "live and die", so to speak, with every minute of action on the field. Absolutely. 

Is any of it "authentic" or "organic"? About as "authentic" or "organic" as the consumption of any other entertainment product.

42 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

That’s patent nonsense.  You’re farther along, to be sure, but your experience is no more “authentic” than anyone else’s.

Every single club came about because some rich ownership group applied and paid for a spot in the league.  Every single supporter group came about because some fans decided they wanted to organize.  End of story. 

What you're really describing is the loss of exclusivity, as your niche sport becomes increasingly mainstreamed.  Which is as beneficial as it was inevitable. 

I wonder if MetroStars fans felt the same way about Chicago Fire supporters in 1998?  At what point did “more Authentic than thou” become a thing?

Well I'm not going to have this argument with someone who conveniently clips my posts to fit their narrative. I also provided a fairly detailed description of why some team's supporters feel justified using these terms but again that was ignored.

It has nothing to do with exclusivity,  it has everything to do with being disadvantaged by being the original teams in the league. Do you not recognize that being a fan of a club for a longer period of time is something to be proud of? Why are the Toronto Maple Leafs fans so proud of their team and history? They have had less success in the last 50 years than Vegas has in two seasons! Is the fan experience of a lifelong Leafs fan really not more authentic than that of a Golden Knights fan? Where do you draw the line? Are MK Dons as authentic as their Wimbledon precursor? This isn't as simple as how things were founded, we have been building equity from an emotional standpoint. Unlike any other league in the world we are disadvantaged by being an original team, all I have as a Rapids fan to hang my hat on is that my club was one of a small group that was crucial to the development and success that your club gets to experience. 

Brian, my point is that these discussions are based in fandom which is inherently emotional. Equity matters when you are talking about love, passion, and emotion. My two year relationship probably isn't on the same level as your 30 year marriage, Why would I be so insecure about that? That's what this is really about, bitter fans of original clubs long left behind vs insecure fans of new clubs justifying their support. Don't be insecure about it, we all start somewhere, but this is fandom and supporters bickering so I will use the fact that your club has been around for 2 years against you, it's the only superiority, and thing I have as a Rapids fan. 

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

FC Cincy posted a few kit teasers last night, which prompted this thread on the FCC subreddit:

If you look through that thread, there’s a link from the OP that includes edited versions of the teaser images, and the rough mockup he created based off of those edited images. There were also these intriguing replies:

kGmlSAj.jpg

tY7YhwN.jpg

It turns out the windows of the FCC store have this pattern on it, which is one of Adidas’ currently available miTeam graphics:

46743042_1982567395115480_92233413235436

Here’s an example of that pattern on a shirt:

19YokohamaMarinos8.jpg

All told, don’t be surprised if Cincinnati’s inaugural MLS home kit ends up looking something like this, but updated to the new template:

AknppNM.jpg

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

55 minutes ago, JTernup said:

Well I'm not going to have this argument with someone who conveniently clips my posts to fit their narrative. I also provided a fairly detailed description of why some team's supporters feel justified using these terms but again that was ignored.

It has nothing to do with exclusivity,  it has everything to do with being disadvantaged by being the original teams in the league. Do you not recognize that being a fan of a club for a longer period of time is something to be proud of? Why are the Toronto Maple Leafs fans so proud of their team and history? They have had less success in the last 50 years than Vegas has in two seasons! Is the fan experience of a lifelong Leafs fan really not more authentic than that of a Golden Knights fan? Where do you draw the line? Are MK Dons as authentic as their Wimbledon precursor? This isn't as simple as how things were founded, we have been building equity from an emotional standpoint. Unlike any other league in the world we are disadvantaged by being an original team, all I have as a Rapids fan to hang my hat on is that my club was one of a small group that was crucial to the development and success that your club gets to experience. 

Brian, my point is that these discussions are based in fandom which is inherently emotional. Equity matters when you are talking about love, passion, and emotion. My two year relationship probably isn't on the same level as your 30 year marriage, Why would I be so insecure about that? That's what this is really about, bitter fans of original clubs long left behind vs insecure fans of new clubs justifying their support. Don't be insecure about it, we all start somewhere, but this is fandom and supporters bickering so I will use the fact that your club has been around for 2 years against you, it's the only superiority, and thing I have as a Rapids fan. 

giphy.gif

I read this post in Dennis’ voice, and it was a surprisingly good fit. You can cool it with the persecution complex.

The 1996 are not any more “deserving” or “authentic/organic” than any of the expansion teams. I get why the long-term fans may feel envious towards the newer squads and see them as “fake” (or something like that), but that’s malarkey. These new teams just have a better idea of what the heck they’re doing from the get-go.

45 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

FC Cincy posted a few kit teasers last night, which prompted this thread on the FCC subreddit:

If you look through that thread, there’s a link from the OP that includes edited versions of the teaser images, and the rough mockup he created based off of those edited images. There were also these intriguing replies:

kGmlSAj.jpg

tY7YhwN.jpg

It turns out the windows of the FCC store have this pattern on it, which is one of Adidas’ currently available miTeam graphics:

19YokohamaMarinos8.jpg

All told, don’t be surprised if Cincinnati’s inaugural MLS home kit ends up looking something like this, but updated to the new template:

AknppNM.jpg

Off to a bad start. 

On 1/23/2019 at 1:07 PM, hawk36 said:

- Public service posters, cards, and announcements asking fans to be welcoming and not offend others, including opposing fans. I'm not about hate but it's fun to "hate" opposing team's fans and feel it's more fun when we can do so without fear of being turned in (as cards instruct fans to do).

- Theme days at matches that have nothing to do with the team or sport itself. Fine if the teams wants to promote X, Y, and Z but don't distract from the actual match. Do it during the week.

- 99% used to stand and cheer for 90 minutes, now it's more like 50/50 and more and more often I'm asked by someone behind me to please sit down so they can see.

- Curtailing or eliminating of chants deemed offensive (could be ECS decision or could be team clamping down on the ECS)

- More of a late arriving crowd that gradually fills in in the first 10 minutes of each half

I'm sorry, but I really don't see any of this. Theme days? Instructions?

Again, I've been going to Sounders matches for a decade. In those ten years, I've seen the crowd generally become more knowledgeable about the game (I once went to a game where some guy yelled "handball" at every whistle and thought it was SO funny -- it wasn't), become more bought in to the merchandising aspect of the game, and still generally as obligingly compelled to stand in the majority of the stadium by people who want to look at their phones standing instead of sitting (I sit in the Club section).

I think Gothamite hit it on the head when he called out that people are watching a sport transition from niche to mainstream. But also things generally become less cool the more exposure you have to them.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 hour ago, upperV03 said:

kGmlSAj.jpg

tY7YhwN.jpg

19YokohamaMarinos8.jpg

AknppNM.jpg

That's a nice start. I hope the away is primarily orange instead of white.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

54 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

I'm sorry, but I really don't see any of this. Theme days? Instructions?

Non soccer theme days in 2018 included: Seattle Foundation, Pride, Special Olympics, RAVE Foundation, Childhood Cancer. All fine but I'd rather they just concentrate on the game on game day and the other stuff the other 6 days of the week. Isn't celebrating the Sounders and soccer enough during the match?

Instructions: look at the cards in the cup holders at seats, look at the cards at the urinals, listen to the PSA before the match. It's everywhere. 

Sorry, but now that I've pointed it out you probably won't be able to unsee it :)

FC Cincinnati's colors don't blend well with stripes like that, The colors are both two dark to be overlapping each other as shown in that concept.

I wasn't really a fan of the last USL kits, as there were sublimated diamonds within orange stripes. The diamonds were darker than the usual orange and made them look brown. I really don't know what I'd prefer for "my team" but I'd know it when i see it.

Archived