MLS Kits 2019

WarriorFight

19 minutes ago, PaleVermilion81 said:

They also posted this on Twitter. @upperV03 Do your thing :) haha. I know this isn't anywhere near enough.

Dxt8oXUWsAEiOMG.jpg

Haha yeah, I don’t think there’s enough to go on yet to create a mockup. If they show off some more revealing teasers or some info about the design leaks then I’ll try my hand at it, though. 

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, JTernup said:

Brian, my point is that these discussions are based in fandom which is inherently emotional. Equity matters when you are talking about love, passion, and emotion. My two year relationship probably isn't on the same level as your 30 year marriage, Why would I be so insecure about that? That's what this is really about, bitter fans of original clubs long left behind vs insecure fans of new clubs justifying their support. Don't be insecure about it, we all start somewhere, but this is fandom and supporters bickering so I will use the fact that your club has been around for 2 years against you, it's the only superiority, and thing I have as a Rapids fan.

Trust me, I understand that being a fan of a sports team carries a great deal of emotion with it. That said, I would argue that a surfeit of emotion often clouds one's judgement when it comes to separating fact from fiction. For instance, it would seem that your emotional support for the Colorado Rapids has caused you to mistakenly categorize a personally-held opinion - that original MLS franchises and their supporter groups are more "authentic and organic" than those teams that joined the league at later dates - as a fact.

I will say that you lose me - completely - when you begin to analogize the "love, passion, and emotion" that you feel for your MLS side of choice with the level of ardor and commitment that one might harbor for a partner in a "two year relationship", or a spouse in a "30 year marriage". Believe me, I'm as die-hard a fan of my sports teams of choice as you are likely to find, but I'm going to admittedly draw the line short of claiming that my support for said franchises in any way, shape, or form approaches the level of bond that I've ever felt for a loved one. If that marks me as a less "authentic and organic" fan/supporter in your estimation, so be it. 

As for whether I'm a "bitter fan" or an "insecure fan", I'd have to say that I don't hit either extreme on your scale. Have I known disappointment in the wake of losses and excitement in the wake of wins? Certainly. Have I shared unforgettable moments with fellow fans? Absolutely. However, I find the very notion that I'd allow my attachment to a sports franchise to color my emotional state to the point of bitterness or insecurity... well, I find that simply ludicrous.

Look, I've split my time between homes in Greater Boston and Santa Monica, California for nearly 20 years. As such, when it comes to Major League Soccer, I've spent 23 seasons following the fortunes of the New England Revolution and, beginning last year, Los Angeles FC. I have been a season ticket-holder for both teams. Between the two clubs, I have known every possible eventuality that the supporter of an MLS side might experience, save having my team win the MLS Cup Championship, capture the Supporters Shield, or being folded by the league. That being the case, I can tell you that from where I'm sitting, how "authentic and organic" an MLS franchise and its supporters happen to be has absolutely nothing to do with when they entered the league. Rather, such gradations are, to my mind, purely in the eye of the beholder. 

16 hours ago, DG_Now said:

I think Gothamite hit it on the head when he called out that people are watching a sport transition from niche to mainstream. But also things generally become less cool the more exposure you have to them.

Eh, I don’t think I can totally agree with that.

Things don’t become less cool, they just become cool in a different way.   Unless it was cool in the first place because it was niche.

Soccer is becoming more mainstream.  The underground appeal is being replaced by more interest.  But that also means a better product on the pitch, greater infrastructure across the country, increased access for everyone, and an actually sunstainable future future for the sport.  Which I think is pretty cool. 

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

Indeed.  

Stripes are a great idea.  Stripes that are so textured and interrupted so as to be unworthy of the name?  Bad idea. 

Not only that, but I like the idea of your team's first kit in the top flight as being something classic, a base upon which you can add variations in the future (since changing so frequently is apparently a necessity these days).

Though given the current design trends, it's like the early days of MLS all over again -- original kits in garish 90s designs!

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

1 minute ago, Digby said:
Legitimately surprised that the hoop continues onto the back! (And frankly, I wish it didn't; those red numbers aren't pretty!)

My thoughts exactly. I’m happy to see the MLS and Adidas allowing a design to continue onto the back again, but in this particular case I feel like they would’ve been better off either not having it continue onto the back at all, or having a break in the hoop for the numbers, like so:

4Oclh0q.jpg

It’s still a gorgeous kit overall, and pretty much the perfect Whitecaps home kit, but the red names and numbers do taint it just a little bit.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Here’s a couple new teasers for the Timbers’ new home kit:

Looks like it has the same truncated collar trim as the new Minnesota secondary (except on a v-neck instead of crew neck). Also looks like the hoops are only on the front, which is slightly dissapointing seeing as the ‘Caps were able to get the blue hoop continued onto the back. Wouldn’t surprise me if Vancouver made a special request with the league to be able to have the back design. 

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

49 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

Here’s a couple new teasers for the Timbers’ new home kit:

Looks like it has the same truncated collar trim as the new Minnesota secondary (except on a v-neck instead of crew neck). Also looks like the hoops are only on the front, which is slightly dissapointing seeing as the ‘Caps were able to get the blue hoop continued onto the back. Wouldn’t surprise me if Vancouver made a special request with the league to be able to have the back design. 

Loving what I'm seeing so far. 

Think we already had a pretty good idea what the Orlando kit would look like based on the pattern we saw, but here’s the full mock up. I think it’s a fairly big downgrade from their current design (which has a nice collar and gold trim rather than white).

Also, that Whitecaps kit is gorgeous and gives me hope that Atlanta will have stripes on the back of the shirt. The gold numbers would certainly be more legible than the red on Vancouver.

orlando-city-2019-kit-2.jpg

19 minutes ago, aawagner011 said:

portland-timbers-2019-kit-2.jpg

The collar, cuffs, and hoops all look accurate there, but the Adidas stripes will not be white. They’ll be gold, as seen in the first teaser image from back in December, as well as the leaked shots of the shorts and socks:

DuEn9kxU8AEcdY1?format=jpg&name=medium

DxYs4_hU0AATtT1?format=jpg&name=large

NibPtxq.jpg

Edit: And now FH updated their mockup to have gold Adidas stripes, as well as gold Adidas and Alaska logos:

portland-timbers-2019-kit-2.jpg

This is probably more accurate, but the Adidas logo on the shirt will likely be white to match the Adidas logos on the shorts and socks. It remains to be seen whether the Alaska logo will be gold or white.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

1 hour ago, aawagner011 said:

Think we already had a pretty good idea what the Orlando kit would look like based on the pattern we saw, but here’s the full mock up. I think it’s a fairly big downgrade from their current design (which has a nice collar and gold trim rather than white).

Also, that Whitecaps kit is gorgeous and gives me hope that Atlanta will have stripes on the back of the shirt. The gold numbers would certainly be more legible than the red on Vancouver.

orlando-city-2019-kit-2.jpg

Oh my. That's awful. Gold is a team color too, guys!

Also, the OrlandoHealth logo should be stacked again, not the "swirl" (although I'd love if they went back to that).

ExJworW.png

That Timbers kit is a mess that can't seem to decide between being green, white and gold or green, gold and white. The collars, cuffs and sock striping all suggest white is the secondary color, while everything else suggests it's gold. And really, what bugs me is that you'd more likely expect white to be used for printing and the like, not a secondary color.

6fQjS3M.png

5 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Eh, I don’t think I can totally agree with that.

Things don’t become less cool, they just become cool in a different way.   Unless it was cool in the first place because it was niche. 

Soccer is becoming more mainstream.  The underground appeal is being replaced by more interest.  But that also means a better product on the pitch, greater infrastructure across the country, increased access for everyone, and an actually sunstainable future future for the sport.  Which I think is pretty cool. 

Fair enough. Thanks for the clarification!

I'd rather have the MLS of 2020 than the MLS of 2010.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

24 minutes ago, crashcarson15 said:

That Timbers kit is a mess that can't seem to decide between being green, white and gold or green, gold and white. The collars, cuffs and sock striping all suggest white is the secondary color, while everything else suggests it's gold. And really, what bugs me is that you'd more likely expect white to be used for printing and the like, not a secondary color.

I think the full thing will end up looking better than the teasers suggest, with a pretty good balance between the white and gold accents. I’ve been working on an updated mockup that I’ll get around to posting later on today or tomorrow, and I think seeing the full kit together brings it all together nicely.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Dang. What did I start, lol?

All I was talking about was Timbers Army vs ECS and how ECS has fallen off since going to the MLS, whereas I'd argue the Timbers Army hasn't missed a beat, and even grown stronger.  The Seattle Sounders front office does a ton to dictate the stadium culture and fan experience, which seems to be what Hawks is frustrated about. It's less organic, more orchestrated.

One of my favorite parts about being a Timbers fan (even though I don't sit in the Army and generally don't enjoy singing and chanting), is that the front office is fairly hands off when it comes to the game day experience.  The atmosphere at a Timbers match comes from the fans, is made by the fans, and is for the fans and players (as opposed to a marketing group or sponsors or whatever).  It's beautiful to behold.  Timbers fans DGAF who the sponsor on the jersey is, whereas Sounders fans cried all over twitter because daddy took away their XBOX.

Sorry, couldn't help myself with that one.

I don't care if your team has been around since 1996, 1975, or 2019.  Everyone has passionate fans.  This fandom argument is stupid.  I sat next to some amazing NYCFC fans at a game in Portland last season.  They were awesome.  I know a lot of soccer fans in Austin who are frothing at the mouth to get to their first game.  That's rad.  Colorado die hards?  Obviously, mad respect.

But as with any sport at all, if you "Get Loud!" because the jumbotron tells you too and chant "De-fense" because the mascot is holding up a sign . . . you're weak ass fans.  That is my opinion of Seattle right now (through Rose City tinted glasses 😉).

Archived