MLS Kits 2019

WarriorFight

6 hours ago, Digby said:

Legitimately surprised that the hoop continues onto the back! (And frankly, I wish it didn't; those red numbers aren't pretty!)

The red numbers aren't bad because they complement the maple leaf on the sleeves but I agree, though. The 'Caps should have gone with sky blue numbers which is what they had in '79. The red numbers came the following year and the 'Caps choked in the first round of the playoffs for the remainder of their NASL existence after winning Soccer Bowl '79.

Nevertheless, GREAT JOB Whitecaps! They look great. Keep the hoop permanently.

💙🌊⚽👍😃👍

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is one problem with true throwback designs being effectively verboten in the world of soccer; you occasionally end up with awkward modern compromises, like plopping down those red numbers over the hoop. (Like, check out the 1979 number/name placement in the second photo below!) And the official MLS font just makes for this kind of setup really difficult -- maybe the red-on-hoop would be more readable in a big bold block font, or with an outline, but you can't have these things in 2019.

Whitecaps-Carl21-600.jpg

american-soccer-nasl-soccer-bowl-79-tamp

dsc_0041.jpg?w=620

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

36 minutes ago, VancouverFan69 said:

The red numbers aren't bad because they complement the maple leaf on the sleeves but I agree, though. The 'Caps should have gone with sky blue numbers which is what they had in '79. The red numbers came the following year and the 'Caps choked in the first round of the playoffs for the remainder of their NASL existence after winning Soccer Bowl '79.

Nevertheless, GREAT JOB Whitecaps! They look great. Keep the hoop permanently.

💙🌊⚽👍😃👍

Looks good.  Better than the dark grey kit us Whitecaps fans had to accept as a uniform last year.

Am I the only one who misses the Arbutus brown kit? We need a new Arbutus brown as a 3rd kit.

8306014.jpg?size=640x420

11 minutes ago, Wade Heidt said:

Looks good.  Better than the dark grey kit us Whitecaps fans had to accept as a uniform last year.

Am I the only one who misses the Arbutus brown kit? We need a new Arbutus brown as a 3rd kit.

8306014.jpg?size=640x420

Actually, that Arbutus shirt is very similar to the classic shirt that was unveiled today and would make a great secondary. It's a beautiful shade of brown and it goes so well with the sky blue. It gives me a nasty craving for chocolate cake with light blue and white icing.😋

Here’s my updated mockup of the Timbers’ new home kit, reflecting the new info from the teasers posted earlier:

7JHfcNK.jpg

This should be pretty close to being 100% accurate. Really the only details I’m not sure about are the jocktag and the team logo/wordmark on the socks. 

Now seeing what the full kit will actually look like, I think this will easily be the Timbers’ second best primary kit in their time in MLS so far, just behind the outgoing home kit. There are a few small flaws IMO, such as the white Adidas logos and truncated collar and cuff trim (though that’s more of an issue with this year’s Adidas templates), but I still think it’s a really nice kit overall, and should be one of the best of this year’s new kits.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

6 hours ago, upperV03 said:

Here’s my updated mockup of the Timbers’ new home kit, reflecting the new info from the teasers posted earlier:

7JHfcNK.jpg

This should be pretty close to being 100% accurate. Really the only details I’m not sure about are the jocktag and the team logo/wordmark on the socks. 

Now seeing what the full kit will actually look like, I think this will easily be the Timbers’ second best primary kit in their time in MLS so far, just behind the outgoing home kit. There are a few small flaws IMO, such as the white Adidas logos and truncated collar and cuff trim (though that’s more of an issue with this year’s Adidas templates), but I still think it’s a really nice kit overall, and should be one of the best of this year’s new kits.

It is beautiful.  I personally like it even better than the outgoing kit.  The hoops are such a classic Timbers design element and it is about time they're back! 

I'm going to be picking one up for sure.

8 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

Think we already had a pretty good idea what the Orlando kit would look like based on the pattern we saw, but here’s the full mock up. I think it’s a fairly big downgrade from their current design (which has a nice collar and gold trim rather than white).

orlando-city-2019-kit-2.jpg

Circling back to this, there’s at least two details in this mockup that aren’t correct. First, the Orlando Health logo should be this:

zUlSBkH.jpg

Second, the Adidas stripes should be purple instead of white, as seen on the new shorts and socks here:

CKRdV3x.jpg

Edit: FH did actually update their mockup to include the correct Orlando Health logo:

DxyeGABX4AAoOoZ?format=jpg&name=large

The Adidas stripes should still be purple instead of white, though.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

15 hours ago, Wade Heidt said:

8306014.jpg?size=640x420

That was one of my all-time favorite MLS kits. Really nice and unique color scheme.

15 hours ago, VancouverFan69 said:

Actually, that Arbutus shirt is very similar to the classic shirt that was unveiled today and would make a great secondary. It's a beautiful shade of brown and it goes so well with the sky blue. It gives me a nasty craving for chocolate cake with light blue and white icing.😋

I love that top. I don’t wear any of my MLS tops too often anymore but anytime I’m going somewhere that a soccer top could be appropriate I at least consider that one. Love the colors. 

On 1/25/2019 at 4:53 PM, Digby said:

This is one problem with true throwback designs being effectively verboten in the world of soccer; you occasionally end up with awkward modern compromises, like plopping down those red numbers over the hoop. (Like, check out the 1979 number/name placement in the second photo below!) And the official MLS font just makes for this kind of setup really difficult -- maybe the red-on-hoop would be more readable in a big bold block font, or with an outline, but you can't have these things in 2019.

Whitecaps-Carl21-600.jpg

american-soccer-nasl-soccer-bowl-79-tamp

dsc_0041.jpg?w=620

I've never seen these uniforms before. And now that I have...

... I'm now wishing for VWFC to (re)embrace royal blue again in it's next branding life. If anything, royal and columbia looks way more "icy" to me. (Plus, now with NYCFC in the mix, that makes three teams with navy/light blue in MLS.) 

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

6 minutes ago, Digby said:

Yeah, it’s kind of interesting how royal blue has completely fallen out of favor as a primary color in MLS.

Has it fallen out of favor, or just not been a big thing?  Have any clubs dropped it?

Royal blue sort of fell out of favor across all sports in the 1990s, as darker colors became more marketable, easier to match with a pair of khakis.  The Brewers, Mariners, Sabres, Warriors, Seahawks, Rams, Blues, all either eliminated or downplayed royal around that time.  Even the Cubs flirted with navy.  Not surprising that MLS, founded in that era, doesn’t have a particularly strong history with the color.  

Really disappointed in Orlando's home kit it's very similar to the home from the first mls year! Again another Adidas template kit! Hope the league goes with NB as a Liverpool fan think they make great kits and our an American company would be good to have original kits for MLS

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Has it fallen out of favor, or just not been a big thing?  Have any clubs dropped it?

Royal blue sort of fell out of favor across all sports in the 1990s, as darker colors became more marketable, easier to match with a pair of khakis.  The Brewers, Mariners, Sabres, Warriors, Seahawks, Rams, Blues, all either eliminated or downplayed royal around that time.  Even the Cubs flirted with navy.  Not surprising that MLS, founded in that era, doesn’t have a particularly strong history with the color.  

Guess it depends on how you define drop. Montreal used to have a fairly Chelsea-esque look before going to black stripes full-time. San Jose has dumped a mostly blue for a mostly black primary shirt twice now. And the Wizards -> SKC rebrand all come to mind.

2 hours ago, sicknick459 said:

Really disappointed in Orlando's home kit it's very similar to the home from the first mls year! Again another Adidas template kit! Hope the league goes with NB as a Liverpool fan think they make great kits and our an American company would be good to have original kits for MLS

I like NB a lot, as a fellow Liverpool fan, but if you look at a lot of their kits, they share the same basic design features, foundationally at least. The under-the-arm color stripe last year, the white strip along the shoulders on the new set. All of their teams have the same core.

37807902_l.jpg

w21391_wht_detail.jpg

Here you can see exactly what I'm talking about. The sleeve design is the same (just different colors), and while the collars are different the Celtic collar is the same as the Liverpool primary. The red neck-strip on the Liverpool third kit is the same on the Celtic kit, just replaced with lighter green.

Liverpool is NB's biggest club, objectively and by far, and therefore we all read it as original when other, smaller clubs they make kits for don't. They probably see it how MLS fans will see other, bigger Adidas clubs getting new duds and MLS teams getting leftovers (in a sense).

I think the trouble is less about effort or the lack thereof, than the fact that it is REALLY difficult to make kits for 24 teams within a single league and have them all be unique, either from each other or Adidas' other international designs. That, and MLS kits don't sell supremely well compared to their larger teams like Bayern and United, so there is less of an onus from the club on coming up with something really dope. It's not financially viable for them to churn out 24 unique designs every cycle, so it does make sense for them to re-use patterns sometimes. It doesn't mean they can't go above and beyond (ATL's first primary, Vancouver's new primary, etc), or that sometimes it can be really obvious and bad (i.e. if the FH leak design is to be believed, using the same design for two teams at the same time with LAFC and Orlando having the same pattern).

I just reject the idea that it would be any different under another manufacturer, especially one like NB where even as is, without having a whole league to themselves, their kits begin to look similar as a foundation. Nike, Macron, Umbro, it's the same deal. ALL kit manufacturers do that, not just Adidas. So that whole argument is an opinion I reject completely.

spacer.png

1 hour ago, WarriorFight said:

I just reject the idea that it would be any different under another manufacturer, especially one like NB where even as is, without having a whole league to themselves, their kits begin to look similar as a foundation. Nike, Macron, Umbro, it's the same deal. ALL kit manufacturers do that, not just Adidas. So that whole argument is an opinion I reject completely.

Agreed.   It’s about which manufacturer has the better templates.  I don’t like NB or Puma’s, but do like the ones adidas produces.   I like what adidas does for NYCFC, and am absolutely thrilled that Arsenal is upgrading. 

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

Agreed.   It’s about which manufacturer has the better templates.  I don’t like NB or Puma’s, but do like the ones adidas produces.   I like what adidas does for NYCFC, and am absolutely thrilled that Arsenal is upgrading. 

I wouldn't go that far. I'm a big fan of New Balance, but I think the core of Adidas' style foundation lends itself to more possibilities than either NB or Puma, just to cite your examples. 

I think the thing with Adidas is that the foundation is really bland, but that means it can be stretched into a lot of different areas, where the core designs of say NB or Puma or Umbro don't have the same sort of adaptability. IMO.

The way to break that is to allow clubs to sign their own kit deals, and the league is probably 5-6 years from getting to a place where that could be financially feasible for individual clubs to do. I'd say ATL is probably closest to that right now, but the great thing about league-wide deals is that smaller clubs with less money to be made from kits get better designs than they otherwise would if they had to sign a deal with a "budget" manufacturer. Not to be insulting but I don't think Macron makes very good kits, so we avoid that particular pit-fall of the bad manufacturer by essentially having a collective agreement. So it sets up this middle ground where there are no really AWFUL designs (objectively awful, as in there can be no debate, that kind of awful), but there is a potential ceiling to it at the same time. 

Regardless, I've said repeatedly how much I want the league to allow clubs to sign individual deals (also because the current league kit set-up is dummy expensive, holy shi*). Having a league with kits from Adidas, NB, Puma, Nike, Umbro, etc would just allow more ranged approaches.

spacer.png

Here’s a few teasers for the new Union secondary:

Dx6_o6oX0AERjl6?format=jpg&name=large

Looks like the color scheme will probably be monochromatic white and navy, and the shirt will have some sort of tonal line graphic. The shirt also appears to have a navy collar (my guess would be v-neck), and raglan sleeves, meaning the Adidas stripes are down the sides.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Archived