MLS Kits 2019

WarriorFight

1 hour ago, Magic Dynasty said:

I will never understand why SKC is so opposed to going with light blue and navy hoops. Is it such an obvious choice that they skip over it entirely while looking for “unique” options?

It's something the league won't allow us to do. It wouldn't give enough contrast from a secondary "dark" kit. Which I don't agree with. 

Senior Creative at Sporting Kansas City. Follow me on Twitter: @NateTheDesigner 

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Philadelphia Union Reveal New Secondary Jersey

January 28, 2019 - 18:38 PM

The Philadelphia Union this morning unveiled the new design for their secondary jersey to be worn during the upcoming 2019 MLS season. With a white base, the jersey features navy trim around the collar and cuffs, on the sponsor logo, […]

Read More...

56 minutes ago, WarriorFight said:

On your point about having the gold accents and crest, honestly I like it without more. The two-color style looks clean and not too busy.

But I like this kit, it's solid.

I don't like the regular Phila crest because I'm really tired of metallic gold and it rarely looks good digitally, but the mono navy crest is not quite there for me, either... feels like it's missing a certain Philadelphia Union personality. (Of course I'm half convinced, for the second year straight, that there was some kind of mixup at the kit design shop between Phila and New England.)

Solution for me would be to use color tones closer to the Philadelphia flag. Ties back in with @Gothamite's earlier Gap-brand navy and khaki thoughts, except that the Union started play well after the peak of that trend.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

2 hours ago, Saathoff said:

It's something the league won't allow us to do. It wouldn't give enough contrast from a secondary "dark" kit. Which I don't agree with. 

Surely they could if they wanted to. This is primarily a dark kit. Navy blue sleeves, shirt backs, stripes, shorts:

aurelien-collin-mls-houston-dynamo-sport

They would just just have to pair it with something like this:

august-2016-sporting-kansas-city-forward

It’s really not much different than Monteal’s blue and black stripes paired with white alternate kits or Atlanta’s red and black stripes paired with light gray or white. SKC has probably just decided they prefer using light blue as their light kit and either navy or black for the secondary. Perhaps they like the flexibility of having different designs on a yearly basis whereas the stripes would more or less lock them into a regular look all the time.

1 hour ago, aawagner011 said:

It’s really not much different than Monteal’s blue and black stripes paired with white alternate kits or Atlanta’s red and black stripes paired with light gray or white. SKC has probably just decided they prefer using light blue as their light kit and either navy or black for the secondary. Perhaps they like the flexibility of having different designs on a yearly basis whereas the stripes would more or less lock them into a regular look all the time.

Not that I necessarily agree with such a line of reasoning, but I can see the league saying that Montreal and Atlanta both use stripes such that both colors are dark, whereas SKC light blue/navy is a stripe pattern with both light and dark. Now, if the hoops are limited to the front of the shirt, I don't think that's a huge problem, and I'm a real crank about these things (if I recall that SKC hoops kit, in its first year, was paired with a home kit that had a very large blue sleeve and side, such that the color balance of both shirts was too similar and posed a problem against navy/black teams. But it doesn't HAVE to be that way).

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

2 hours ago, BellaSpurs said:

Anyone know when FC Cincinnati releases theirs?

https://uni-watch.com/2019/01/28/twins-photo-appears-to-show-mlb-150th-anniversary-patch/

Uni Watch says February 11.

Also mentions Atlanta will basically be the same just with more stripes, which was suspected.

I’ve got the MLS jersey launch calendar on my computer. Houston Dynamo (Jan. 30) and NY Red Bulls (Jan. 31) have upcoming releases. The most anticipated one is Atlanta United on Feb. 15, but that date leaked recently (nothing too crazy going on with their jersey, just more stripes).

FC Cincy will launch their first jersey on Feb. 11. I haven’t seen it, but I know it’s royal blue, and it’s on a previously designed Adidas template. I was told by Adidas that due to the team negotiating colors/crests/etc. with Adidas for so long, they were limited as to what their kit could look like in year one. Apparently there was a dispute about the shade of blue and orange they wanted, as they were going from Nike to Adidas and Adidas probably didn’t want to stock a different shade of royal than what they already stock (which totally makes sense, as VF/Majestic threw a fit at the Marlins when they changed in the early part of the decade since their orange wasn’t the same orange that they stocked for any other team).

FC Cincy’s alt/away kit is super-basic — I believe they said it was literally just a white jersey with the crest on the left chest — but that’ll get replaced in 2020.

18 minutes ago, PaleVermilion81 said:

Somebody on reddit found this and thinks it may be the San Jose new kit. (https://old.reddit.com/r/MLS/comments/akx7zh/possible_leaked_sj_earthquakes_kits_through_vakos/)

kbo2hwkn1bd21.jpg

13 minutes ago, WarriorFight said:

100% that looks like a training kit.

I’d say that’s definitely their new primary shirt. The stars above the crest, the blue piping on the sleeve cuffs, the blue Adidas stripes on the shoulders, and the jocktag design are all telltale signs that it’s a match shirt rather than a training shirt. The design doesn’t match up with any of this year’s training or travel gear, anyways. Plus, it looks like you can see a tiny bit of the MLS badge on Vako’s sleeve, which is another sign of it being the new primary shirt.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

6 hours ago, PaleVermilion81 said:

Somebody on reddit found this and thinks it may be the San Jose new kit. (https://old.reddit.com/r/MLS/comments/akx7zh/possible_leaked_sj_earthquakes_kits_through_vakos/)

kbo2hwkn1bd21.jpg

6 hours ago, PaleVermilion81 said:

kbo2hwkn1bd21.jpg

That design would have looked fine for SKC. 

14 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

Just hope DC United's new secondaries are respectable.

I'm surprised there hasn't been a tease or anything by them, I wonder if they're waiting to announce a new sponsor before unveiling their new kit. 

Archived