MLS Kits 2019

WarriorFight

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, PaleVermilion81 said:

Side by side comparison.

tAurQ2c.jpgDz8uBETWwAAHHwm?format=jpg&name=large

Not a huge fan of the white socks there. They just look a bit out of place IMO with all the orange in the shirt and shorts above. I do think white shorts with black Adidas stripes would look good though, and would make the kit look much more balanced than the orange/orange/white you mocked up. It would also keep their traditional orange/white/orange primary kit combo intact. 

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Would prefer white shorts I think, and that tiny strip of blue trim on the back collar sticks out awkwardly, and I will choose to ignore that sponsor logo.

THAT SAID, I like that Dynamo kit, the pattern works as just texture basically, and the black trim gives me a very Johan Cruyff-era Holland vibe, which is nice as a change of pace.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

1 hour ago, hendocfc said:

Am I the only one curious on how Houston would look with "space" blue shorts?

I am. I used to be a big proponent of Houston using more of the blue, but I admittedly have gotten over that -- too many other teams in the league using light blue as a secondary color (or primary).

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

10 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

Not a huge fan of the white socks there. They just look a bit out of place IMO with all the orange in the shirt and shorts above. I do think white shorts with black Adidas stripes would look good though, and would make the kit look much more balanced than the orange/orange/white you mocked up. It would also keep their traditional orange/white/orange primary kit combo intact. 

Yeah, I'd prefer that as well. This was more of a "if they insist on orange shorts" thought. Just not a fan of all orange.

12 minutes ago, Digby said:

Would prefer white shorts I think, and that tiny strip of blue trim on the back collar sticks out awkwardly, and I will choose to ignore that sponsor logo.

THAT SAID, I like that Dynamo kit, the pattern works as just texture basically, and the black trim gives me a very Johan Cruyff-era Holland vibe, which is nice as a change of pace.

I was just coming on here to make this point. I'm not a big fan of monochrome-ish kits, but the homage — intended or not — to the Dutch Total Football era piqued my interest. 

4 minutes ago, BellaSpurs said:

I’m indifferent about the white kits, I feel like the over use of white isn’t as bad as y’all make it out to be. Obviously color would be better but I really don’t mind the white. Every other sport has white

True, but other sports have colored elements that site the whites apart when teams wear them. In the NFL/NHL you have colored helmets and pants, for example. Imagine the majority of NFL/NHL teams having white helmets and pants combined with their white shirts. The MLS is going white jersey, shorts, and socks for the majority of teams and identities are just blending together. 

Just now, PaleVermilion81 said:

True, but other sports have colored elements that site the whites apart when teams wear them. In the NFL/NHL you have colored helmets and pants, for example. Imagine the majority of NFL/NHL teams having white helmets and pants combined with their white shirts. The MLS is going white jersey, shorts, and socks for the majority of teams and identities are just blending together. 

Okay, I can’t think of the top of my head who. But I know there have been instances in the nfl mlb and nba where the teams wore white on white with white socks.  But I understand the complaint. I just don’t understand why it’s so grave. I would actually prefer the white in some instances.

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

Teams having an all white look is fine, like the LA Galaxy who have a very established white on white look. The problem is when the majority of teams in the MLS have that look. I think it is 16 of the 24 teams have their secondary uniform white jersey/white shorts/white socks. 2 thirds of the league has the exact same secondary look (not counting teams who have colored shorts to pair with their light tops: New England, NYRB, Vancouver). White jerseys with very little color and/or major design elements (ie. New England's old white jersey that had half red on the front, Philadelphia's blue sleeves). That's bad. 

It’s not the white jerseys that bother me, it’s the over abundance of the all-white kits. 

They look practically identical to one another. 

Most of these all white kits kits would instantly be better if they were paired with shorts and/or socks that were just simply any other color but white. 

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

28 minutes ago, PaleVermilion81 said:

@upperV03 Any chance you could make a graphic showing the all white uniforms of every team side by side? No worries if not. I'm just really curious how all these looks compare after counting how many of them have a white/white/white look as their secondary.

If I find some time I might be able to throw something together. No promises, though.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

1 hour ago, Digby said:

I am. I used to be a big proponent of Houston using more of the blue, but I admittedly have gotten over that -- too many other teams in the league using light blue as a secondary color (or primary).

I always found the light blue and orange combo absolutely repulsive. I really don't like that there's even a hint of the light blue in this new set.

I'm really disappointed with the amount of monochrome sets we're getting in MLS this season, not just the all-whites. For a few years it seemed like everybody was wearing monochrome sets and then teams started moving away from that only to seemingly fall back into it harder than ever this season. So many of these sets could be improved with differently colored socks or shorts. The Dynamo would look much better with white shorts for instance, and as mentioned by others, most of the white sets could be improved greatly with colored shorts.

On 2/20/2019 at 12:50 PM, Digby said:

I can just as easily pick this idea apart -- Vancouver and SKC's out-of-nowhere charcoal greys, Atlanta using "peach" instead of team-color accents on its white kit, every trend happening in the NBA. But still, a theory worth considering, maybe.

I'm not saying its absolute and applies to every club. There are exceptions to every rule. I'm saying its still a factor that influences the clubs identities. 

Also the NBA also is only fairly recently starting to go haywire with their uniforms, and still requires a white one for each team.

Remember how everyone was ripping the Revolution white kit when it was released because of how boring it was? It now looks like one of the most creative ones of the league, it would have been much better received if it had been one of the last releases. 

I understand all white as first option. My major gripe is that almost all of these kits have no noticeable design elements to speak of. The only one who has a vertical/horizontal/sash stripe in a contrasting color on their clash kit is Chicago. No team with colored sleeves, no team using the Regista template with a yoke, no pinstripes, pretty much everyone is white with maybe some barely noticeable pattern. I’m glad Real Salt Lake wet with that pattern, at least it stands out.

Serie A is also notoriously an uncreative league with teams resorting to white as the standard clash. 15 out of 20 teams have a white shirt. Only 4 of those use the ‘completely white with only minimal color trim and maybe a pattern’ model. If you want to be generous and say the Revs, RBNY and LAFC don’t fit that description  12 MLS teams use that model.

07Giants.pngnyy.png

Archived