WarriorFight

MLS Kits 2019

6 hours ago, DG_Now said:

I was at this game!

So was I. That sunset was actually pretty amazing. Everyone in the stands was talking about it.

33240e9.png

🙄🙄🙄

Not seeing black and hot pink in there. Bring in Man City's third jersey gradient thing from a few years back and then we'll talk.

1 hour ago, upperV03 said:

Nice overview post from Todo Sobre Camisetas showing all of this year’s jerseys, both the new 2019 releases and the carryovers from last year:

https://todosobrecamisetas.com/2019/02/jerseys-de-la-mls-2019/

Holy crap. After browsing through all of them, it made me realize that Minnesota arguably has one of the worst secondary kits in the league (FCC is only a 1 year placeholder, so I'm giving that stupidity there a pass). That is depressing, especially when you consider the quality of the crest. How do you eff that up so much?

3 hours ago, Digby said:

Is the Revolution’s jock tag still an American flag? Which makes zero sense and clashes horrendously with their styled American flag badge a few inches away?

3 hours ago, hendocfc said:

Would appear so:

2019%20Kit%20Drops%20-%20NE%20-%20Jersey

This is so profoundly stupid.  Especially with the New England flag on the back.

ff_3415795-567897a4ece90d7ba3a2alt7_full.jpg&w=900

Why not use an American flag actually from the Revolutionary War period?  Or even close to it?

500px-Flag_of_the_United_States_(1777-17

Or the naval flag?

500px-Hopkinson_Flag.svg.png

I mean, this really shouldn't be hard. 

I really hate to use the word "lazy" in design, but it seems to fit here.  Maybe grabbing a modern flag with an "eh, good enough" shrug of the shoulders is about perfect for the Revs' owners.

9 hours ago, DG_Now said:

I was at this game!

Quintessential is a stretch. During the recent wave of summer brush fires over the past 2 years maybe. But I guess spin can spin anything these days. 

The Sounders really need to move to a brighter shade of green. This year’s green keeper kit colorway really exemplifies it:

D0TVneKXcAE2wTL?format=jpg&name=large

13 hours ago, upperV03 said:

The new Sounders shirt does indeed have white names/numbers:

UU5v1AX.jpg

My first thought after seeing it is Liverpool 16/17 away kit:

liverpool-16-17-away-kit-1.jpg

adidas are really milking that stripe graphic aren't they? Would have looked nicer,if you ask me,in a coral shade of orange/red. Would also evoke the "sunset" theme better.

4 minutes ago, hendocfc said:

adidas are really milking that stripe graphic aren't they? Would have looked nicer,if you ask me,in a coral shade of orange/red. Would also evoke the "sunset" theme better.

When I see these things (and I have to write them myself too for my work) I read: "Blah, blah, blah, blah blah blah, blah blah". I'd say these explanations are made up after the fact 90% of the time. 

This is really interesting:

Since the article is behind a paywall, here are the other rejected ideas shown:

3mBkw4e.jpg

UGHujWo.jpg

D0WbWbPXgAEkway?format=jpg&name=medium

Bit of interesting MLS kit news on The Athletic today regarding the kit concepts that DC United turned down in favor of their new white secondaries.

Things that immediately jump out to me:

1)   Name kits clearly a theme as all 3 concepts have a name/theme

2) Wondering if pink was a clear design trend adidas was pushing as one of then3 concepts features the shade.

3) Those wanting a DCU kit mirroring the Wiz’s marble features would have gotten it with the Strength concept.

4) Man I wish they went with the Tradition concept....

I pay for The Athletic so I took screengrabs of the concepts and posted on imgur. Links below. Happy to share.

Unity Concept: DKWLFrL_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Unity Concept variants: I63RyTQ_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Tradition Concept: f5eCfAu_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Strength Concept: fmpiev8_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Edited by okcsooner35
Oops upperV03 beat me to it. Mod delete please.

See what I mean by saying "pink is the new black"?

(This also proves that "inspiration" explanation Seattle gave about their new change kits is a bunch of bullc@rn---that set wasn't inspired by no sunset; pink is just a hot color in the sports merchandising cycle right now.)

I want to see more of this. What designs did other teams turn down? It's something that always boggles the mind as a designer. Anytime I present options, the client almost always seems to choose the worst one.

27 minutes ago, Buc said:

See what I mean by saying "pink is the new black"?

(This also proves that "inspiration" explanation Seattle gave about their new change kits is a bunch of bullc@rn---that set wasn't inspired by no sunset; pink is just a hot color in the sports merchandising cycle right now.)

Black was inspired by the dark nights in Seattle, when over half of our games are played. 

38 minutes ago, Buc said:

pink is just a hot color in the sports merchandising cycle right now.

If so, I reallllly hope that Inter Miami is paying attention.

44 minutes ago, hendocfc said:

Should have gone with the blue kit

I don't have anything to add to your comment, but the fact you didn't write "should of" deserves special praise. 👊