WarriorFight

MLS Kits 2019

Recommended Posts

The Dynamo debuted their new primaries in their return leg against Guastatoya:

jorge-aparicio-of-cd-guastatoya-and-mati

thomas-mcnamera-of-houston-dynamo-contro

jose-corena-of-cd-guastatoya-controls-th

mauro-manotas-scores-second-goal-for-hou

I thought they looked okay in action, but the pattern on the shirt was practically invisible and the orange shorts were just a bit too much IMO. I still really wish they went with white shorts, or even black shorts rather than the orange. Also, the orange undershirts and compression shorts the players wore were a much darker shade than the kit. I don’t recall them having that bad of a mismatch with the undershirts in recent years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, upperV03 said:

The Dynamo debuted their new primaries in their return leg against Guastatoya:

jorge-aparicio-of-cd-guastatoya-and-mati

thomas-mcnamera-of-houston-dynamo-contro

jose-corena-of-cd-guastatoya-controls-th

mauro-manotas-scores-second-goal-for-hou

I thought they looked okay in action, but the pattern on the shirt was practically invisible and the orange shorts were just a bit too much IMO. I still really wish they went with white shorts, or even black shorts rather than the orange. Also, the orange undershirts and compression shorts the players wore were a much darker shade than the kit. I don’t recall them having that bad of a mismatch with the undershirts in recent years.

 

I would imagine that many of those players wearing compression tops under the kit used to wear the long sleeve kits instead. With those inexplicably no longer being produced, they're forced to wear compression tops with different hues or materials (I assume). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, eww7633 said:

I would imagine that many of those players wearing compression tops under the kit used to wear the long sleeve kits instead. With those inexplicably no longer being produced, they're forced to wear compression tops with different hues or materials (I assume). 

 

Some did before - even David Villa, who loved long sleeves, wore compressions tops under short sleeves from time to time.

 

image.jpegmaxresdefault.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, upperV03 said:

The Dynamo debuted their new primaries in their return leg against Guastatoya:

jorge-aparicio-of-cd-guastatoya-and-mati

thomas-mcnamera-of-houston-dynamo-contro

jose-corena-of-cd-guastatoya-controls-th

mauro-manotas-scores-second-goal-for-hou

I thought they looked okay in action, but the pattern on the shirt was practically invisible and the orange shorts were just a bit too much IMO. I still really wish they went with white shorts, or even black shorts rather than the orange. Also, the orange undershirts and compression shorts the players wore were a much darker shade than the kit. I don’t recall them having that bad of a mismatch with the undershirts in recent years.

 

I was there last night.  2 1/2 hour delay at a bar waiting out the storm. the new jerseys look a little "bright". too much electric orange. I agree white shorts would look much better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here are the first shots I’ve seen showing the shorts and socks of Cincinnati’s away kit:

D0bCt1QWoAUH7Xy?format=jpg&name=large

qE0AIAD.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, PaleVermilion81 said:

Really odd that they are using them for photoshoots. Why not use their primary kits?

They had their Media Day yesterday and seemingly did wear their primary kits for the bulk of the photo shoots, interviews, etc.:

I’m not sure why they had the players wear the white kits for the photos in my previous post, in which they were celebrating reaching 20,000 season ticket members.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually really like those kits. The orange and blue stripes is a sharp, unique look to the MLS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreed. I would have picked a more timeless stripe design for my team's inaugural kit in the big leagues; but what it lacks in timelessness, it makes up for in being an interesting design with colors that suit it. For all the talk about new teams getting stuck with lower-tier Adidas kits, it doesn't look like it at all from far away. (The home kit, anyway.)

 

I would have expected those vibrant shades of blue and orange to be TOO much, and kinda vibratey, but they're not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good look at the red names/numbers on the back of the Whitecaps’ jerseys:

D0XbRO2WoAEUa_G?format=jpg&name=large

Doesnt look terrible, but it’s far from ideal IMO. They should’ve at least added a white stroke to the numbers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

26 minutes ago, moosebean11 said:

Black shorts on the away would have been a really easy move for Cincinnati and Adidas. Play up the German roots of the city. 

germany-youth-players+%25282%2529.JPG

 


I feel like black shorts would've looked even more "placeholder" than the all-white uniforms do. When you wear all-white that at least looks like a choice. When you wear white with black shorts that looks like they gave you stock uniform 1. 

 

 

I rather liked in the USL that they wore more orange in their secondary kit and left the blue for the primaries and I was hoping for that for their MLS uniforms.

Cincinnati-Television0322_large.jpg

 

DWWiTfUWAAAkZVZ.jpg

 

 

26 minutes ago, Digby said:

Agreed. I would have picked a more timeless stripe design for my team's inaugural kit in the big leagues; but what it lacks in timelessness, it makes up for in being an interesting design with colors that suit it. For all the talk about new teams getting stuck with lower-tier Adidas kits, it doesn't look like it at all from far away. (The home kit, anyway.)

 

I would have expected those vibrant shades of blue and orange to be TOO much, and kinda vibratey, but they're not.

 

When they're photographed in the right light they're fine, but I've seen some shots where the orange looks burnt and others where it looks pink. I would've chosen differently for this color scheme. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

Good look at the red names/numbers on the back of the Whitecaps’ jerseys:

 

Doesnt look terrible, but it’s far from ideal IMO. They should’ve at least added a white stroke to the numbers.

 

Alas, not sure how to put a stroke on the MLS number font, with the notch and the drop-shadow thing. It's really meant to be one color and it shows, and normally it's fine, but here it's the clear weak spot on a nice kit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Digby said:

 

Alas, not sure how to put a stroke on the MLS number font, with the notch and the drop-shadow thing. It's really meant to be one color and it shows, and normally it's fine, but here it's the clear weak spot on a nice kit. 

Agreed, the red names/numbers are really the only weak spot on an otherwise gorgeous kit. And while it is a bit tricky to apply a stroke to the MLS font, I think it could’ve, and should’ve been done in a manner similar to this:

G8wKGcc.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, that's a little better, but we know how cranky the kitmaker supply chain will get about having to do something different!

 

Honestly I don't think it works without a classic block font; I know everyone was excited to see design on the back for a change but I wish they just kept the hoop front-only, a la Chicago, and used navy numbers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Digby said:

I know everyone was excited to see design on the back for a change but I wish they just kept the hoop front-only, a la Chicago, and used navy numbers.

 

I go back and forth on it. 

 

On the one hand, I think a solid-back jersey usually looks better on the players.  But a full-hoop jersey looks better when there’s no number, which means that it’ll look better on the fans.  And while I really hate the thought of designing jerseys with an eye towards merchandising, this is one time when it might be okay?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe that’s a legitimately useful design/manufacturing decision that could be made between replicas and authentics, instead of just a sleeve badge and a cheapo collar. Though i suppose getting a name and number printed isn’t exclusive to authentics for fans?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 


>
FWIW, this came up yesterday in discussions about the plethora of light colored (ok, white) secondary kits in MLS this year

Cathal 
(Conlon - who I'm friendly with) is the Director of Marketing for the Revolution.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, McCarthy said:

 

 

 


I feel like black shorts would've looked even more "placeholder" than the all-white uniforms do. When you wear all-white that at least looks like a choice. When you wear white with black shorts that looks like they gave you stock uniform 1. 

  

 

I rather liked in the USL that they wore more orange in their secondary kit and left the blue for the primaries and I was hoping for that for their MLS uniforms.

 

I agree that in an ideal world, it'd be the white/orange of their USL aways. I guess front office sees the all white is seen as the continuation of that. IMO all-white is less of a choice than the black shorts. If black shorts is stock uniform 1, then all-white is stock uniform 0 in my book lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Beantown77 said:

 


>
FWIW, this came up yesterday in discussions about the plethora of light colored (ok, white) secondary kits in MLS this year

Cathal 
(Conlon - who I'm friendly with) is the Director of Marketing for the Revolution.

 

Fair enough, and it does seem that the league is making these decisions to push teams to white/dark in almost all cases ... but, there's only so dark the Revs could go with blue, given they already wear navy at home?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.