MLS Kits 2019

WarriorFight

4 hours ago, upperV03 said:

Good look at the red names/numbers on the back of the Whitecaps’ jerseys:

D0XbRO2WoAEUa_G?format=jpg&name=large

Doesnt look terrible, but it’s far from ideal IMO. They should’ve at least added a white stroke to the numbers.

I'll disagree. It does look terrible. Horrible. Ruins the kit. I guess the silver lining is fans can save money and not have numerals put on the jerseys when they buy them. 

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a case where adidas could take some design cues from what Nike has done in the past. It reminds me of the old USA waldo kit. I believe Nike offered three versions of that top. They had a basic replica with full stripes front and back, another replica with full front stripes and a white back to accommodate the back number, as well as a player issued version with space for the back number as well as the front number.

8800244134471701553.jpg

1505554945644198569.jpg

nike-usa-soccer-waldo-jersey-dempsey_1_9

Adidas would do well to offer versions with full stripes for the fans (keep the Vancouver stripe above, offer full stripes on the back for Montreal and Atlanta, etc). Use the box on the back for number legibility for the on field match kits.

This just looks silly for a fan to wear if you did not intend to print a number on it.

Atlanta_United_FC_Authentic_Home_Jersey_

Yes, it’s authentic but it essentially forces you to get a number on it. Otherwise, it looks goofy blank. I added a number to mine for this exact reason but would have been perfectly content if they offered a version with the full stripes across the back. That would have been a great shirt.

1 hour ago, Beantown77 said:

>
FWIW, this came up yesterday in discussions about the plethora of light colored (ok, white) secondary kits in MLS this year

Cathal 
(Conlon - who I'm friendly with) is the Director of Marketing for the Revolution.

39 minutes ago, Digby said:

Fair enough, and it does seem that the league is making these decisions to push teams to white/dark in almost all cases ... but, there's only so dark the Revs could go with blue, given they already wear navy at home?

Exactly.  The league would have been totally reasonable in vetoing a blue clash kit for a team that primarily wears dark blue.

30 minutes ago, aawagner011 said:

This is a case where adidas could take some design cues from what Nike has done in the past. It reminds me of the old USA waldo kit. I believe Nike offered three versions of that top. They had a basic replica with full stripes front and back, another replica with full front stripes and a white back to accommodate the back number, as well as a player issued version with space for the back number as well as the front number.

Yes! Thank you for those. I knew there was a precedent for this; I seem to recall the 2006 away kit, that was navy with a red chest stripe a la Vancouver or Chicago, had a break in the middle for numbers on the pitch, but the replica version just had a full-width stripe.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

MLS: A Look at all the New MLS Uniforms for 2019

February 28, 2019 - 18:19 PM

The 2019 Major League Soccer season kicks off this weekend with a handful of games on Saturday afternoon. Seems as good a time as any to take a look at the new uniforms that’ll grace the MLS pitch over the […]

Read More...

7 minutes ago, SportsLogos.Net News said:

mls-jersey-preview-2019.jpg

The 2019 Major League Soccer season kicks off this weekend with a handful of games on Saturday afternoon. Seems as good a time as any to take a look at the new uniforms that’ll grace the MLS pitch over the […]

Read More...

Houston isn’t right - that chevron jersey is from 2016. They replaced the orange uniforms this year.

ExJworW.png

19 hours ago, SportsLogos.Net News said:

mls-jersey-preview-2019.jpg

Read More...

Pretty much BS that SEATTLE was able to steal Miami's color scheme and sell it before Miami has even had a chance to get off the ground. The black and pink was probably the one major factor that was going to help Miami's merch sell like hotcakes (think Heat Vice) and now most of the intrigue and excitement for a Miami Kit is killed. Even in the exact way a Miami kit would sell (Black with Pink).

Total BS. Black and Pink aren't even Sounders colors. They should have been forced to pick from their existing colors or adopt a regional color.

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

On 2/27/2019 at 5:01 PM, aawagner011 said:

8800244134471701553.jpg

1505554945644198569.jpg

nike-usa-soccer-waldo-jersey-dempsey_1_9

Off topic: these jerseys were/are so hard to find online.  Personally, I think this is the best team USA has looked in recent memory

90758391980.gif

13 hours ago, alxy8s said:

Atlanta's debuting the new kit tonight. The back doesn't look like a disaster on the field, but it's being helped by this god awful Yahoo Sports stream.

I thought they looked fantastic. There was speculation that the shade of red may have changed (I suspect it’s simply the material) but the stripes really popped last night. I enjoyed the stripes on the back and the black back really helped the numbers shine. Red socks are a nice touch. Overall a lot of minimal changes but still felt like my same club.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

2 hours ago, tubby34 said:

Pretty much BS that SEATTLE was able to steal Miami's color scheme and sell it before Miami has even had a chance to get off the ground. The black and pink was probably the one major factor that was going to help Miami's merch sell like hotcakes (think Heat Vice) and now most of the intrigue and excitement for a Miami Kit is killed. Even in the exact way a Miami kit would sell (Black with Pink).

Total BS. Black and Pink aren't even Sounders colors. They should have been forced to pick from their existing colors or adopt a regional color.

Couple things. It takes a long time to design and produce these kits, so this was probably in the works before Miami announced. Maybe the league would know of both and could have stepped in, but I don't think it's stealing anything. So far Miami is using a much more pastel pink than this hot pink. And given what they've done so far, Miami's kits will probably be more elegantly designed than Seattle's Target cheapo rack effort here.

I'm a big fan of each team having itself a distinctive look (see how much I've complained about SKC/NYCFC overlap) but at the same time, MLS is large enough that not every single kit can be maximally unique, especially if away kits factor in.

Also my money is still on Miami going all-white at home.

2 hours ago, tubby34 said:

David Beckham and team have had about a decade to get that team up and off the ground. Blame him for farting around on Miami for as long as they did.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Yeah, I’m totally indifferent as to Seattle using Miami’s future colors. Miami hasn’t gotten their act together over many years and Seattle is just a change kit that will be gone in two seasons. Similar color schemes will happen every now and then. Nor do we know what exactly Miami’s kit will look like. I agree there’s probably a very good chance Miami uses white. The figurehead for the club is the guy that wore the Real Madrid, England, and LA shirts over the years. That would probably work better than wearing all black in Miami.

50 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

David Beckham and team have had about a decade to get that team up and off the ground. Blame him for farting around on Miami for as long as they did.

And I'm still of the opinion that Miami is not a real team until I actually see them playing on a field and even then I'll be skeptical.

38 minutes ago, aawagner011 said:

Yeah, I’m totally indifferent as to Seattle using Miami’s future colors. Miami hasn’t gotten their act together over many years and Seattle is just a change kit that will be gone in two seasons. Similar color schemes will happen every now and then. Nor do we know what exactly Miami’s kit will look like. I agree there’s probably a very good chance Miami uses white. The figurehead for the club is the guy that wore the Real Madrid, England, and LA shirts over the years. That would probably work better than wearing all black in Miami.

Not only the signature Beckham look, but also -- the all-white outfit is such a signature Miami (and Havana) fashion! And they're playing up those sorts of community connections so extensively as it is.

4 hours ago, tubby34 said:

According to them they did pick a regional color. The color of the summer sunsets when devastating wild fires are engulfing the region.

In reality though they've also had Highlighter Yellow and Super Cyan Blue kits in the past so it doesn't seem odd to me.  

26 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

According to them they did pick a regional color. The color of the summer sunsets when devastating wild fires are engulfing the region.

In reality though they've also had Highlighter Yellow and Super Cyan Blue kits in the past so it doesn't seem odd to me.  

Those were at least in the same families as their regular green and blue colors, though. The pink is completely out of left field, and the explanation for it was pretty stupid IMO.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

8 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

Those were at least in the same families as their regular green and blue colors, though. The pink is completely out of left field, and the explanation for it was pretty stupid IMO.

I don’t disagree but I think that’s just the nature of the industry now with a new kit released every year. If teams kept their designs longer, they could come up with more meaningful inspiration. But now adidas and the clubs are scraping the bottom of the barrel looking for anything somewhat meaningful and that’s how Seattle ends up with pink. Or they just wanted to use pink and so they had to come up with something to justify its usage.

I'm personally a big fan of teams occasionally using alternate color schemes for their alternate kits.  It's usually a nice way to do something different and creative, especially when there's a tie-in to local culture or club history.  Portland looked great in red, Colorado and Chicago both had pretty solid flag-inspired kits, and Toronto's, SJ's, and Seattle's NASL-inspired throwbacks were a treat.  You don't have to do it every year (and I think primary kits should generally be worn whenever possible provided there's no clash), but it can be a really nice change of pace.

43 minutes ago, radchad said:

I'm personally a big fan of teams occasionally using alternate color schemes for their alternate kits.  It's usually a nice way to do something different and creative, especially when there's a tie-in to local culture or club history.  Portland looked great in red, Colorado and Chicago both had pretty solid flag-inspired kits, and Toronto's, SJ's, and Seattle's NASL-inspired throwbacks were a treat.  You don't have to do it every year (and I think primary kits should generally be worn whenever possible provided there's no clash), but it can be a really nice change of pace.

Me, too.  One of the best things about "clash kits" as opposed to home/away kits is that clubs can step way outside their regular color schemes.  It also takes off some of the pressure to change primary color schemes, when you can play with (and sell merchandise in) the hot color of the moment via the clash.

Archived