MLS Kits 2019

WarriorFight

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

Part of that may be an attenpt to help newer American soccer fans pick out who's home and away, but they have enough devices to do that like the scorebug and the update bars that display kit colors. I also don't like teams switching between the home and away kit for home games. Columbus is really bad about this. Man United would never wear their pink kit at home and neither should the Crew wear an alternate kit at home.

At least, in Columbus’ case, both home and away are team colors. SKC, Vancouver, and Seattle, however, are inexcusable.

ExJworW.png

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, PaleVermilion81 said:

Problem is Adidas won't do third kits in MLS. 

But they've done them in the past.  I don't see what the problem is with doing it.  It'll generate more money for all parties involved

11 minutes ago, tohasbo said:

But they've done them in the past.  I don't see what the problem is with doing it.  It'll generate more money for all parties involved

IIRC MLS jerseys didn't sell enough for Adidas' liking to justify allowing thirds. Apparently Adidas puts the MLS clubs on the same sales quota as the big Euro clubs.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

• 2 weeks later...

I like the design a lot. I wish it wasn't purple, though. I feel weird about design for MLS All-Star Games; feels strange to have the team look like a knockoff of whomever the host team is, but I also want there to be SOME local flavor. I'm also worried that this design will force Atletico Madrid to change into an away kit instead of the red/white stripes, which is stupid to me.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

On 6/17/2019 at 4:23 PM, Digby said:

I like the design a lot. I wish it wasn't purple, though. I feel weird about design for MLS All-Star Games; feels strange to have the team look like a knockoff of whomever the host team is, but I also want there to be SOME local flavor. I'm also worried that this design will force Atletico Madrid to change into an away kit instead of the red/white stripes, which is stupid to me.

This is the first time in a while they've done that. Usually they like to use a mix of red, blue or white. But since Atletico Madrid is the opponent that wasn't possible as long as Atletico wore their standard home layout. They used that same horrible pattern template that's being used on pregame jerseys but it works with these. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

45 minutes ago, aawagner011 said:

Juve wore their secondary kits last year so I don’t think they base the design on what the opposition wears.

spacer.png

Agreed, but black and white stripes could clash sufficiently. Not last year's Juve or next year's but a regular set would have. I think Orlando probably asked that this year's kit match their colors while Atlanta had to deal with adidas' "Retro collection" that they were applying to everything last year. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

12 hours ago, WBeltz said:

Looks like Miami is going white (with pale pink) & black kits for next year if this report is correct. I'm a little bummed out and was hoping for a pink home. I guess there's always 2021.

https://www.footyheadlines.com/2019/06/inter-miami-2020-inaugural-mls-home-away-kits.html 

I'm disappointed but I'm not surprised. Despite having a good variety of color combos, the league has too much black and white in regard to kits.

14 hours ago, WBeltz said:

Looks like Miami is going white (with pale pink) & black kits for next year if this report is correct. I'm a little bummed out and was hoping for a pink home. I guess there's always 2021.

https://www.footyheadlines.com/2019/06/inter-miami-2020-inaugural-mls-home-away-kits.html 

An all white kit? Shocker. Didn't see an MLS team doing that. 

Edit: Also annoyed that yet another MLS team has all single color kits. At least give them different colored socks or shorts. 

I actually don’t hate the sound of this. As I said before, all-white is a very Miami look, and all-black is a natural complement for the clash kit. Seems like they’ll be good kits for this team, and it’s too bad similar choices are foisted upon so many MLS teams for whom it doesn’t fit.

7 minutes ago, Digby said:

I actually don’t hate the sound of this. As I said before, all-white is a very Miami look, and all-black is a natural complement for the clash kit. Seems like they’ll be good kits for this team, and it’s too bad similar choices are foisted upon so many MLS teams for whom it doesn’t fit.

I hope it just means for 2020 that teams avoid going with black/white change kits so there isn't an issue when playing against Miami. So far I can think of the following who have white or black kits that should be changing:

Vancouver: Currently Black/Dark Grey Change (change in 2020)

Atlanta: Currently White/peach (Change in 2020)

San Jose: Currently White (Change in 2020)

Portland: Currently White (Change in 2020)

Orlando: Currently white (Change in 2020)

Houston: currently black/orange (change in 2020)

Columbus: currently black (change in 2020)

I'm sure I'm missing a few, and save for Columbus and Houston who have always had black change kits, hopefully the ones above find a different color to change to that ISN'T white or black.

1 hour ago, Digby said:

I like the idea of those teal Parley kits as a possible second as well, but MLS doesn't believe in using clash kits with colors that aren't part of the primary kit. a dark pink short and socks with black socks would be nice too. 

1 hour ago, WBeltz said:

I hope it just means for 2020 that teams avoid going with black/white change kits so there isn't an issue when playing against Miami. So far I can think of the following who have white or black kits that should be changing:

Vancouver: Currently Black/Dark Grey Change (change in 2020)

Atlanta: Currently White/peach (Change in 2020)

San Jose: Currently White (Change in 2020)

Portland: Currently White (Change in 2020)

Orlando: Currently white (Change in 2020)

Houston: currently black/orange (change in 2020)

Columbus: currently black (change in 2020)

I'm sure I'm missing a few, and save for Columbus and Houston who have always had black change kits, hopefully the ones above find a different color to change to that ISN'T white or black.

I'd love for the original MLS teams to have some sort of retro throwback next year as well since it would be the 25th season on Major League Soccer

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Yesterday’s matchups:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Just a couple notes:

- The Union debuted navy clash shorts for their secondary kits.

- DCU wore the Pride prematch tops and rainbow numbers on their match jerseys:

spacer.png

spacer.png

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

25 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

I like the idea of those teal Parley kits as a possible second as well, but MLS doesn't believe in using clash kits with colors that aren't part of the primary kit. a dark pink short and socks with black socks would be nice too. 

I'd love for the original MLS teams to have some sort of retro throwback next year as well since it would be the 25th season on Major League Soccer

I’ve been banging that drum so much. Makes particular sense given the current 90s revival fad. But I worry that’s not Generic FC enough for today’s MLS regime.

Archived