MLS Kits 2019

WarriorFight

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The white upper chest portion of FCD's jerseys made it easy for me to tell who was who.

SN: Has anybody heard anything about FC Cincy bringing their orange shorts or socks back some time this season?

Hotter Than July > Thriller

Footy Headlines has leaked some details about 2020 MLS kits but nothing interesting to report, beyond NYRB apparently having a black kit which we heard about a few months ago. Vancouver and NYCFC going back to navy aways. Sounds like Atlanta and Portland both will have white with gold accent aways. LAFC's getting a new home kit but it'll probably look much the same as this year's. That last one I don't see the point of -- LAFC's been probably the biggest branding success in MLS in recent years, why not just let them keep the (perfect, ideal, what's the point in changing) home kit for a third year and give them another different away kit? No one's clamoring for another year of the busted VHS shirt that's worn four times a year anyway.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

43 minutes ago, Digby said:

Footy Headlines has leaked some details about 2020 MLS kits but nothing interesting to report, beyond NYRB apparently having a black kit which we heard about a few months ago. Vancouver and NYCFC going back to navy aways. Sounds like Atlanta and Portland both will have white with gold accent aways. LAFC's getting a new home kit but it'll probably look much the same as this year's. That last one I don't see the point of -- LAFC's been probably the biggest branding success in MLS in recent years, why not just let them keep the (perfect, ideal, what's the point in changing) home kit for a third year and give them another different away kit? No one's clamoring for another year of the busted VHS shirt that's worn four times a year anyway.

Really hoping Minnesota gets their home kit identity right next year. Go back to the cool dark grey they used to wear with a black wing (not likely, I know).

spacer.png

If not that, go with black with blue stripes/numbers (ironically like the 2017 preseason kits they wore before their new uniforms were released). Then our "Minnesota Black & Blue" chant will make sense again. Right now with no black on the home kit it confuses new fans who don't know the history of that chant.

spacer.png

11 hours ago, zigbazah said:

Am I the only one who thinks there's getting to be a bit much of primary black in MLS? 

Too much?  DC, San Jose, and LA.  That’s it.  Four if you want to count Atlanta and Montreal as halfsies.   This is still a very well-balanced league, though I have to update Miami on my graphic. 

D1sclkHWsAAQ6IV?format=jpg&name=medium

I want Miami to go pink/white/pink with black trim. How many clubs around the world have that look? Palermo is pink/black.

I just wanted a pink shirt, period.  Forward Madison showed how beautiful (and popular) that could be. 

spacer.png

On 8/27/2019 at 9:13 AM, Digby said:

I agree l, having LAFC move away from their black kit is not ideal since it has become such a big part of their brand. Perhaps thin gold stripes ala what Liverpool has this year, or gold cuffs would be enough to offer a change without drastically changing the look. 

On 8/29/2019 at 2:17 AM, Brandon9485 said:

I agree l, having LAFC move away from their black kit is not ideal since it has become such a big part of their brand.

Why do you think they’re moving away from their black kit? The leak indicates another black kit to replace it. 

Perhaps thin gold stripes ala what Liverpool has this year, or gold cuffs would be enough to offer a change without drastically changing the look. 

I think that’s what we can expect; the standard soccer variations on a theme. The details will change, but there’s little danger that LAFC will be ditching the black. 

3 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Why do you think they’re moving away from their black kit? The leak indicates another black kit to replace it. 

I think that’s what we can expect; the standard soccer variations on a theme. The details will change, but there’s little danger that LAFC will be ditching the black. 

It was just acknowledging that their up for a new home kit. I wasn’t saying they’d ditch black completely, rather that it wouldn’t be a good idea to deviate too far from their all black look. 

The Timbers wore their league-best (in my biased opinion) kit combo last night for just the third time this season:

spacer.png

spacer.png

I know I said earlier in the season when they wore this combo that, despite this being the superior look, I was fine with them having the all-green as the first choice look. After seeing the green/white/green combo again last night, though, I’ve reversed course and really feel like this should be the first choice look, or at least worn as often as the all-green. It’s a real shame we’ve only seen it three times so far this season, but here’s hoping we see more of it over the next couple months. This is just such a great look with a fantastic balance between the green, white, and gold. I honestly think this kit, when worn with the white shorts, is better than their previous primaries and the best MLS primary kit they’ve had thus far.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

I wish they had worn those white shorts against Seattle last week.

FWIW, my favorite Timbers look is from when Adidas still cared about unique MLS shirt designs:

portland-timbers-soccer-jersey.jpg

81606.jpg

The chevron/rose motifs were so nice! And I love the treatment of the three stripes on the shoulders.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 hour ago, SFGiants58 said:

Living in Denver now has taught me that the Rapids are basically a non-entity compared to the city’s other teams (even the Buffs and Rams). Something like that could drum up interest!

Those early SSS teams are surely regretting their venue locations now.

True, but they are also the only reason the league still exists. Fans trekked out to far locations to support their team while LAFC "fans" ignored their local team for years. So they should get a lot more respect that they do. And those teams deserve better.

FWIW I would like to see Colorado with blue sleeves like Aston Villa uses 

18 minutes ago, njdevs7 said:

True, but they are also the only reason the league still exists. Fans trekked out to far locations to support their team while LAFC "fans" ignored their local team for years. So they should get a lot more respect that they do. And those teams deserve better.

FWIW I would like to see Colorado with blue sleeves like Aston Villa uses 

Whoa, whoa, whoa. We didn't "ignore" our local team. The Galaxy never tried to win us over.

They have a boring atmosphere, a generic stadium and they play in a suburb. (No one goes to Carson for a good time). I tried to get into supporting them, but it never stuck. It's their fault for not cultivating a massive market. One that LAFC has tapped into. I live near Carson and I see more LAFC gear than Galaxy merchandise. 

Now I will give them credit in that once we arrived, their fan support has gotten better and I do see more Galaxy gear than I ever have before (even during their golden era with Beckham, Donovan and Keane), but it took the arrival of a new club to do so.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

Archived