WarriorFight

MLS Kits 2019

14 minutes ago, Rockstar Matt said:

Whoa, whoa, whoa. We didn't "ignore" our local team. The Galaxy never tried to win us over.

They have a boring atmosphere, a generic stadium and they play in a suburb. (No one goes to Carson for a good time). I tried to get into supporting them, but it never stuck. It's their fault for not cultivating a massive market. One that LAFC has tapped into. I live near Carson and I see more LAFC gear than Galaxy merchandise. 

Now I will give them credit in that once we arrived, their fan support has gotten better and I do see more Galaxy gear than I ever have before (even during their golden era with Beckham, Donovan and Keane), but it took the arrival of a new club to do so.

Sounds a lot like our situation here in NYC.  Except for that whole “gotten better” thing. 

19 minutes ago, Rockstar Matt said:

Whoa, whoa, whoa. We didn't "ignore" our local team. The Galaxy never tried to win us over.

They have a boring atmosphere, a generic stadium and they play in a suburb. (No one goes to Carson for a good time). I tried to get into supporting them, but it never stuck. It's their fault for not cultivating a massive market. One that LAFC has tapped into. I live near Carson and I see more LAFC gear than Galaxy merchandise. 

Now I will give them credit in that once we arrived, their fan support has gotten better and I do see more Galaxy gear than I ever have before (even during their golden era with Beckham, Donovan and Keane), but it took the arrival of a new club to do so.

Haha...had a feeling I would get the response of an LAFC fan. I can't possibly imagine being a soccer fan in LA for the past 25 years and NOT rooting for the Galaxy. Great teams, superstars, championships, ect. (many teams in all sports play outside city limits in this country) I don't know what else they would have to do...Just my opinion though. Clearly there are many who disagree, I don't fully understand it though..  Anyway, you guys are there to stay now and I enjoy the rivalry.

5 minutes ago, njdevs7 said:

Haha...had a feeling I would get the response of an LAFC fan. I can't possibly imagine being a soccer fan in LA for the past 25 years and NOT rooting for the Galaxy. Great teams, superstars, championships, ect. (many teams in all sports play outside city limits in this country) I don't know what else they would have to do...Just my opinion though. Clearly there are many who disagree, I don't fully understand it though..  Anyway, you guys are there to stay now and I enjoy the rivalry.

Just never felt right. Kind of a similar feeling to inviting yourself to a hang out when you weren't invited by anyone there.

Didn't help that I didn't get really into soccer until around 2008 (the USMNT win in the confederations cup against Spain really spurred my interest). The MLS was terrible in terms of quality and once teams like Portland and Seattle joined the league later, with their fantastic support, comparing that to what the Galaxy had made me even less interested to become a Galaxy supporter. 

In all other sports, I support teams who have been around for far longer than I have been alive. So I jumped at the chance to support a brand new club from the start. An unique opportunity that really only the MLS offers in North America.

I’m seeing a pattern here. In cities with more than one team, the younger one is more popular, and happens to be headquartered in the city proper.

8 hours ago, BigRed618 said:

I’m seeing a pattern here. In cities with more than one team, the younger one is more popular, and happens to be headquartered in the city proper.

There aren’t enough data points to draw meaningful conclusions.  

I personally don’t know if the Galaxy treated LA as badly as the MetroStars/Red Bulls did.  That neglect was real, and continues to this very day.  That’s why we have a team in the city proper, and why that team is the more popular of the two. 

Is it just me, or does one of the LAFC players not have a number? Yeah, they’re already hard to see, but he doesn’t have a number on his shorts or shirt. All the others you can at least kind of see.

EDIT: Yeah, he doesn’t. Had to change out of a bloody jersey. The fact that I really wasn’t sure if I was just seeing things or not shows how bad silver on white is anyway.

On 9/6/2019 at 7:29 AM, Gothamite said:

There aren’t enough data points to draw meaningful conclusions.  

I personally don’t know if the Galaxy treated LA as badly as the MetroStars/Red Bulls did.  That neglect was real, and continues to this very day.  That’s why we have a team in the city proper, and why that team is the more popular of the two. 

That and the MetroStars completely sold out. In soccer/football your colors and name are ALL you have. They wh*red themselves for a stadium and lost my support with it. It’s like if the Yankees became Coca-Cola NY, changed their logo, dropped the navy & pinstripes, wore red, and moved to Jersey. Yeah, F’ ‘em.

On 9/7/2019 at 8:37 PM, Paul Lucas said:

That and the MetroStars completely sold out. In soccer/football your colors and name are ALL you have. They wh*red themselves for a stadium and lost my support with it. It’s like if the Yankees became Coca-Cola NY, changed their logo, dropped the navy & pinstripes, wore red, and moved to Jersey. Yeah, F’ ‘em.

Can't throw stones when you live in a glass house. City Football group created a team, included City in the name with a roundel logo, and wears light blue jerseys. Sound familiar? Oh and pride themselves on "playing in NYC" when really they just rent a baseball stadium (if it's available) that is the biggest embarrassment in American soccer. 

On 9/7/2019 at 7:37 PM, Paul Lucas said:

It i s not so much that the MetroStars sold out, but rather were taken over by a global company that has taken to naming the clubs it owns after itself. I believe they own four clubs. I don’t know the process or rules for renaming a club, but I doubt MLS was going to say no to a wealthy club owner in a major market at a time when MLS was a floundering league. 

I don’t want to advocate for clubs being named after corporations, but all things considered Red Bull(s) isn’t the worst name. 

Star-spangled numbers for NYCFC on 9/11, for “First Responders Night”.

On 9/9/2019 at 2:24 PM, Brandon9485 said:

It i s not so much that the MetroStars sold out, but rather were taken over by a global company that has taken to naming the clubs it owns after itself. I believe they own four clubs. I don’t know the process or rules for renaming a club, but I doubt MLS was going to say no to a wealthy club owner in a major market at a time when MLS was a floundering league. 

I don’t want to advocate for clubs being named after corporations, but all things considered Red Bull(s) isn’t the worst name. 

I hear you, but I do think it's kind of holding the team back in terms of marketing and relevance. Obviously the FO seem like a bunch of bozos in that regard, sure. But when the sponsor is THAT tied up into the brand of the team, you can't support the team without looking more like you just really like energy drinks, and that strikes me as a problem.

2 hours ago, Digby said:

I hear you, but I do think it's kind of holding the team back in terms of marketing and relevance. Obviously the FO seem like a bunch of bozos in that regard, sure. But when the sponsor is THAT tied up into the brand of the team, you can't support the team without looking more like you just really like energy drinks, and that strikes me as a problem.

If we're going to play THAT game? I would rather be seen supporting NYRB's ownership than NYCFC's.

But when the sponsor is THAT tied up into the brand of the team, you can't support the team without looking more like you just support an autocratic regime, and that strikes me as a problem.

2 hours ago, Kevin W. said:

But when the sponsor is THAT tied up into the brand of the team, you can't support the team without looking more like you just support an autocratic regime, and that strikes me as a problem.

I think that is an extreme description. At least Red Bull has managed RBNY to be competitive and not just a billboard. Like I said before, I don’t want clubs to be named after companies and corporations, but Red Bull bought the entire club and have an established practice of putting their name on it. I don’t believe that’s a huge step away from modern sports. Teams have already sold their uniforms via suppliers and sponsors. Most teams play at <insert corporate name here> Field/Stadium/Arena. The United States has been more immune to this practice compared to the rest of the world, but 10-15 years from now, I think fans will associate a specific company with a specific team. 

I don’t envy New York. Your choices are an energy drink promotional squad and a team affiliated with Man City, the team currently purchasing every trophy in England with oil money.

I love how people talk about the “financial realities of American soccer” without recognizing that MLS is clearly a Ponzi scheme. Can’t wait for the next 10 expansion teams.

2 hours ago, Brandon9485 said:

I think that is an extreme description. At least Red Bull has managed RBNY to be competitive and not just a billboard. Like I said before, I don’t want clubs to be named after companies and corporations, but Red Bull bought the entire club and have an established practice of putting their name on it. I don’t believe that’s a huge step away from modern sports. Teams have already sold their uniforms via suppliers and sponsors. Most teams play at <insert corporate name here> Field/Stadium/Arena. The United States has been more immune to this practice compared to the rest of the world, but 10-15 years from now, I think fans will associate a specific company with a specific team. 

I was talking about the fact that NYCFC is owned by the government of the United Arab Emirates. 

19 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

If we're going to play THAT game? I would rather be seen supporting NYRB's ownership than NYCFC's.

I mean, I hear you — but practically speaking I think the average passerby has stronger associations with the energy drink logo than they would taking the leap from the NYCFC monogram to autocrats. (Which speaks to a successful laundering campaign.)

17 hours ago, TenaciousG said:

I love how people talk about the “financial realities of American soccer” without recognizing that MLS is clearly a Ponzi scheme.

In fairness, it can seem that way.  But only until you learn what a Ponzi scheme actually is.