WarriorFight

MLS Kits 2019

a3FHkfI.jpg

Zlatan appears to have his MLS Cancer armband screened onto the sleeve. I believe this was discussed earlier. I figured it was for that one game and the jersey would immediately be sold but he's still wearing it, or a second jersey with the armband screening. 

I2nunef.jpg

He also wore a regular armband over top of that as well.

^Yeah, Zlatan has been wearing the screened on armbands on his shirts for most of the season now. He clearly prefers that over wearing an actual armband, as the Galaxy EQ staff have done it for him on both the home and road shirts, and have now even created a version that looks like the yellow Cancer armbands.

Just now, upperV03 said:

^Yeah, Zlatan has been wearing the screened on armband on his shirts for most of the season now. He clearly prefers that over wearing an actual armband, as the Galaxy EQ staff have done it for on both the home and road shirts, and have now even created a version that looks like the yellow Cancer armbands.

OK, I thought maybe MLS was trying out something new and he was the test subject. I actually like the idea, but it only works until he gets subbed out and the new guy has to get an armband handed off from the bench area. 

Hate to admit it, but the Red Bulls look really great in red shirts and socks paired with white shorts.  Best look they've had since they were the MetroStars.

9 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Hate to admit it, but the Red Bulls look really great in red shirts and socks paired with white shorts.  Best look they've had since they were the MetroStars.

I agree. It's my favorite look for them. And it fits them well, as it's the invert of the White/Red/White they wore for over a decade. I'm not a huge fan of the mono-red, especially since so many other teams wear that. We'll see what happens next year though, since it is rumored that a black kit will replace the red.

Seems like a no brainer to me for RBNY to always look like that (and the white/red/white), even as someone who prefers monochrome. I don't like these black kit rumors and it'll be a shame for this era of red Red Bulls to only last a single cycle... but unsurprising.

In good branding news, to me, the guy who just bought out a full stake in the Chicago Fire sounds like he'd prefer to keep the name. Source: https://www.chicagobusiness.com/news/mansueto-fire-purchase-about-mls-future-club-potential

Are you open to rebranding the team with a new name?

Since we're moving downtown, we thought it's an opportunity to say, hey, let's look at the brand, the name, the crest, the logo, all of that. A team here has been working very diligently, talking to fans, talking to experts. They're almost done with their research, and I'll hear what they recommend soon. My perspective is, I love the name. It has deep meaning for me as a Chicagoan. It's what is at the core of the identity of Chicago. People didn't pick up and leave after the Great Chicago Fire, they chose to rebuild and rebuild in a bigger, bolder way. To me that name reflects the spirit of pushing through adversity to build something great. And that's really what this team is about—working through adversity to build a championship team. There's a lot of generic names out there, and I think we've got a wonderful name. But I'd like to hear what the research team says.

Yea I'd be totally fine with a black away kit for the Red Bulls. But next year, it looks like they will have a grey kit and a black kit.....I don't even know what they will wear at home. I am hoping the black kit it heavy with red accents/stripes as a tribute to the Metrostars. I thought I remembered seeing that it was a special kit for their 25th anniversary.

As for Chicago, I would like to see them keep the Fire name, It has too much history. I'd like to see a logo update or refresh. Not a whole re-branding though...

Yeah, I'd be pretty into it if the black kit was a one-year thing for the MLS anniversary ... but I'm not really expecting that. Did MetroStars ever have a plain black shirt? I can only remember black with red or white stripes.

1 hour ago, Digby said:

Yeah, I'd be pretty into it if the black kit was a one-year thing for the MLS anniversary ... but I'm not really expecting that. Did MetroStars ever have a plain black shirt? I can only remember black with red or white stripes.

Image result for metrostars jersey

There's this, but I'm pretty sure that's only a practice jersey. I don't remember ever seeing this on the field. 

These are the kits I remember being used:

Image result for metrostars jersey 1996

Image result for metrostars jersey 1996

I think a version of these would look better though. 

Sometimes I really don't understand how kit matchups are decided in this league.

EFrEOwPX0AAp_o2.jpg

27 minutes ago, Digby said:

Sometimes I really don't understand how kit matchups are decided in this league.

EFrEOwPX0AAp_o2.jpg

They're decided first and foremost by what the teams want to showcase for sale.

But objectively, that's a fine matchup.  Nothing wrong with it.  For a nighttime match, I actually prefer the white to the Union's drab blue.

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

They're decided first and foremost by what the teams want to showcase for sale.

But objectively, that's a fine matchup.  Nothing wrong with it.  For a nighttime match, I actually prefer the white to the Union's drab blue.

I think the drab blue (that should be trademarked) would have worked better. However, at this point, they won't bring back the signal blue so the all white look is probably the best. Overall, I don't like the drab blue.

I think white vs. yellow (and also white vs. powder blue) looks like garbage and teams should cut that out. If the league is going to mandate light and dark kits, have light and dark games then!

37 minutes ago, Digby said:

I think white vs. yellow (and also white vs. powder blue) looks like garbage and teams should cut that out. If the league is going to mandate light and dark kits, have light and dark games then!

How lucky for us that MLS doesn’t mandate “light and dark kits”.  It’s all about the visual clash, and there’s plenty of distinction between those two kits. 

Yeah, this is a case of "Could they have worn their primaries? Yes", but it doesnt hurt the matchup that they didnt.

Unless of course, that MLS decided that the gold on Philly clashes with the yellow. Then we'd have all sorts of stupid, but I doubt that's the case.

The Timbers are going with city flag-themed numbers today:

Not necessary but I’m glad custom number colors are at least an option now. The days of MLS handing out black numbers to navy-trim teams weren’t so long ago!